News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Does anyone here have experience with Mubi?

https://mubi.com/showing

It seems a streaming service more on the arthouse side of things. I kind of like their concept that every movie is on for 30 days before being replaced by a new one, meaning you have a program of 30 changing movies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Well, it's 1 EUR for 3 months trial, so hard to pass up. :P Besides, they have Toxic Avenger, Deer Hunter, World on a Wire, and Escape Form New York in rotation at the moment. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

And Portrait of a Lady on Fire which is meant to be outstanding!

They do seasons too which I find quite fun - so they did one on remakes, plus their halloween selection was good and pleasingly interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2020, 05:02:07 PM
I've been working my way through The Expanse over the last few weeks....

Seasons 1-3 were fantastic.  S4, so far, is dropping off significantly.

The finale for S4...so stupid.

[spoiler]So you get to the main baddie after a firefight, and have him disarmed at gunpoint...then one his compatriots comes from behind with a gun at your back.  You have to know that they will shove you out an airlock if captured, so do you...

A. Kill the main baddie anyway, even if it means you might die.
B. Just let yourself get shoved out an airlock.[/spoiler]

viper37

There's a possibility it could make sense in the next season:
[spoiler]
He knows that even if he kills him, the plan is set in motion and nothing will stop it.  By letting himself be thrown out of an airlock, he hopes his daughter will avenge him with all the OPA at her back.
[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

what is Tiger King about?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on March 30, 2020, 04:52:39 PM
what is Tiger King about?

Heh, it's like watching a flaming train wreck, where all the cars are alternately filled with meth-fueled rednecks and live tigers. 😉

It's main character, who goes by the name Joe Exotic, is a gun-toting, would-be redneck country music star who owns a private zoo filled with dozens of tigers; he staffs the place with desperate street people and feeds his tigers (and, it turns out, his staff and visitors) with meat thrown out by Walmart. Oh, and he uses tigers and meth to groom, and polygamously marry, various young straight boys.

He gets into a vicious multi-year battle with another private zoo owner, a (probable) former prostitute who married a rich dude, who subsequently mysteriously "disappeared", leaving behind an oddly specific will that states "if I disappear my wife has my power of attorney", after taking out a restraining order against her on grounds he feared she would kill him (this mystery of what happened to him is never solved). She bills herself as an animal rights activist, and so opposed Joe.

That's just the start of the insanity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Watched the first two episodes. It's insane. In addition to the two main characters, the guy with the Manson-like cult that runs an animal preserve in SC is also amazing.

Also I found out that my iPad (which I bought in January to work away from home  :rolleyes:) comes with a free year of Apple TV+. There's not much in it though... Any of it good? For All Mankind has an interesting premise at least.

Tonitrus

Maybe I am weird, but all ya'lls talk so far about Tiger King gives me absolutely no interest (a negative interest, in fact) in watching it at all.  :sleep:

celedhring

It's a show were some guy rides in in a car with a skeleton in the passenger seat and you don't even bat an eyelid since it's like the least bizarre shit you'll see in that episode.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2020, 06:56:24 AM
Maybe I am weird, but all ya'lls talk so far about Tiger King gives me absolutely no interest (a negative interest, in fact) in watching it at all.  :sleep:

It made me vaguely interested but then saw part of trailer and was like nope.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2020, 06:56:24 AM

Yeah, same. Don't care for (true) crime shows and I don't care for looking-at-weird-people shows*

*early Louis Theroux excepted.

celedhring

I don't care for true crime shows either, but this one drew me in because of all the colorful personalities and general trainwreckness of the thing. But I admit there's a large degree of "let's laugh at rednecks" component that makes me feel slightly guilty.  :blush:

Admiral Yi