Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 26, 2020, 05:45:33 AM
Better Call Saul...

[spoiler]On the issue of, will Kim survive the show or not...with that last teaser, it makes it feel more doubtful.  But then, while it would feel a bit odd, it is entirely possible that she could still be in his life through the entirety of the BB events, and it somewhat-plausibly (though it would be tough) explained away as her not being relevant to the BB story arc.  Though I kinda feel that it will end up that she had just gone away...and the ending of BCS will likely conclude with post-BB events, probably involving her.  It feels like the show is not just Saul-before Saul, but also very much about their relationship and how it will end. 

And while Mike's own story has definitely become a big part of the show...we know how that ends.  But they will likely give a fair bit of closure to those people in his orbit. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Kim and Jimmy have such a widely swinging relationship, that I believe at some point she'll just up and leave, as she was on the brink of many times before. We're coming up closer on the BB start, so we'll see. I kind of expect a reconciliation (or at least reunion) in the bookends that show Jimmy in his Nebraska exile. [/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2020, 10:51:59 AM
This cast reads like an all-star of late 1990s shitty sci-fi movies. So this is probably garbage.

Takes one to know I guess, given your shitty taste in sci-fi movies such as Children of Men.  :P
Btw, Brion James was a replicant in Blade Runner and Claudia Christian was in Babylon V, so much for shitty sci-fi.  :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 27, 2020, 06:05:50 AM
This cast reads like an all-star of late 1990s shitty sci-fi movies. So this is probably garbage.

Takes one to know I guess, given your shitty taste in sci-fi movies such as Children of Men.  :P
Btw, Brion James was a replicant in Blade Runner and Claudia Christian was in Babylon V, so much for shitty sci-fi.  :lol:

That's usually the career path of the shitty sci-fi actor. Appear as a supporting cast member in a beloved sci-fi property, cash in by appearing in a dozen of B-movies that seek a smidgen of legitimacy. I mean, just look at Rutger Hauer's career...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 26, 2020, 10:02:36 AM
Has anyone seen this movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snide_and_Prejudice

QuoteAt a mental institution, the resident physician, Dr Cohen, encourages his patients who believe that they are important Nazi figures to act out their fantasies. The therapy sessions show Hitler consolidating his power by assembling his gang of supporters; however, they are interrupted at times, once because Davidson's uniform is at the dry cleaners, and another time because a patient who believes he is Picasso interrupts a session.

Angus Macfadyen as Adolf Hitler/Michael Davidson
René Auberjonois as Dr. Sam Cohen
Sam Bottoms as Therapist Schaub
Jeffrey Combs as Therapist Meissner
Claudia Christian as Renate Müller
Mena Suvari as Geli Raubal
Brion James as Hermann Göring
Joseph Bottoms as Therapist Himmler
Richard Edson as Rudolf Hess
Richard Moll as General Von Ludendorf
Mick Fleetwood as Pablo Picasso
John Dennis Johnston (credit-J.D. Johnson) as Sheffield
Brian McDermott as Therapist Hindenberg
Ivan H. Migel as General Von Kahr
Patt Morrison as Herself/The Interviewer
Jesse Grey Walken as Christ
T.C. Warner as Tessa Percival/Eva Braun
Michael Zelniker as Joseph Goebbels

It could be garbage, but the cast sounds quite intriguing. :lol:

:mmm:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2020, 06:11:42 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 27, 2020, 06:05:50 AM

That's usually the career path of the shitty sci-fi actor. Appear as a supporting cast member in a beloved sci-fi property, cash in by appearing in a dozen of B-movies that seek a smidgen of legitimacy. I mean, just look at Rutger Hauer's career...

Does not work with Claudia Christian, seen as an exotic dancer in The Hidden, a little Sci-Fi B-movie gem and a mainstay of Babylon V.  :contract:

Brion James has another memorable performance in Red Scorpion, not sci-fi this time, with the great Dolph Lundgren. Brain-approved.

Rutger Hauer's career, even with its lows in the '90s, sure beats Children of Men Clive Owen's career. Children of Men is nothing like a beloved sci-fi property. A rip-off of an Italian rip-off *bis repetita placent*.

Eddie Teach

You're going to set Clive Owens as a benchmark?  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Moved on to watching The Good Fight, since I was a fan of The Good Wife. One in three episodes seems to be about Trump.  :hmm:

Malthus

Watching the Netflix series "Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness". Everyone portrayed is impressively crazy. I'm enjoying it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2020, 10:20:52 AM
Watching the Netflix series "Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness". Everyone portrayed is impressively crazy. I'm enjoying it.
It is astonishing.

All the way through I was just hoping for one remotely hinged person to be interviewed and it never happened. The most normal people on it, in my view, are a woman who basically ran away to be a yoga tiger keeper and a man who started drug trafficking to sustain his wild animal lifestyle.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 27, 2020, 10:24:47 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2020, 10:20:52 AM
It is astonishing.

All the way through I was just hoping for one remotely hinged person to be interviewed and it never happened. The most normal people on it, in my view, are a woman who basically ran away to be a yoga tiger keeper and a man who started drug trafficking to sustain his wild animal lifestyle.

I suspect that the guy who uses his tigers to attract and groom a harem of teenage "associates" may be sane, but a sociopath. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2020, 10:31:31 AM
I suspect that the guy who uses his tigers to attract and groom a harem of teenage "associates" may be sane, but a sociopath. 😄
Yes - he was, for me, the most unsettling/suspicious character in a very large gallery of rogues.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Finally finished season 2 of Star Trek Discovery. I enjoyed it. I feel the series is more in the spirit of the Star Trek movies and less of the TV shows, but I don't mind. It's a bit heavy on the melodramatic, "I have this terrible burden, and I must carry it alone, and no one understands me, and I don't want your help!" :P

My favorite characters were Tilly, Reno, Pike, and Stamets.

I laughed/rolled my eyes a bit when at the end [spoiler]they literally decide to never speak of these events again.[/spoiler]  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I've been working my way through The Expanse over the last few weeks....

Seasons 1-3 were fantastic.  S4, so far, is dropping off significantly.

Josquius

The voices - I watched it purely for the promise of a talking dog.
Weird film. Less a comedy horror and more a tonally odd take on a serial killer / tackling of mental health. Pre Joker and with less of an obvious message of if only x then it wouldn't have happened.
██████
██████
██████