News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2020, 04:03:51 PM
Oh I thought it made sense. Everyone else in the film sacrifices and is, in some way, catastrophically weakened by their sexual/romantic ties and feelings - Smiley, Hayden, Prideaux, Tarr, even Kathy Burke's character. So thought that was a deft way of bringing that to Guillam's character.

It's the cost of that life that feelings area always a vulnerability.

The straight (canon) Guillam had to break up with his squeeze with a lie.  That was already in.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2020, 04:06:40 PM
The straight (canon) Guillam had to break up with his squeeze with a lie.  That was already in.
Yeah - I just don't think there's enough weakness and sacrifice there compared with the other characters. It sits at odds with the rest in that tone of film because I think Guillam would come out basically okay and able to go and get another girl, while everyone else has been in some way shattered. He'd just have typical spy film dodgy relationship history.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2020, 04:13:15 PM
Yeah - I just don't think there's enough weakness and sacrifice there compared with the other characters. It sits at odds with the rest in that tone of film because I think Guillam would come out basically okay and able to go and get another girl, while everyone else has been in some way shattered. He'd just have typical spy film dodgy relationship history.

Your reasoning being that gays only get one shot at True Love whereas for straights it's a fungible commodity?  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2020, 04:16:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2020, 04:13:15 PM

Your reasoning being that gays only get one shot at True Love whereas for straights it's a fungible commodity?  :P
No :P

My reasoning is it's the 70s - it's only just become legal and is still illegal for government employees (plus the spy context of the Cambridge five and some characters in Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy).

It's a loose end that needs to be tied up, for good, or he can't operate in that world/will always be vulnerable. It's going to be a running sore for his entire life, just like Smiley's situation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

And the boyfriend looks like a total mook too.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2020, 09:14:48 PM
And the boyfriend looks like a total mook too.

You know I've seen this film version and I can't recall anything about it other than Oldman was his usual intense self.

Whereas the original tv series, I probably have near perfect recall of very scene.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Was browsing Amazon Prime, saw Downfall - the movie that launched a million memes.

So watched it folding laundry last night, and finished tonight.  Very good.  Actually kind of reassuring.  As shitty as things might seem at any time, there's no need to go murdering your children - things will get better.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on March 25, 2020, 01:23:57 AM
  As shitty as things might seem at any time, there's no need to go murdering your children - things will get better.

You weren't actually thinking that until you watched Downfall, were you? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on March 25, 2020, 01:23:57 AM
  As shitty as things might seem at any time, there's no need to go murdering your children - things will get better.

I guess you could say committing suicide is better than murdering your children, but not a whole lot better.

Liep

Asterix indtager Rom (1976)

10/10
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Oexmelin

Such a great movie. It was a Christmas staple on tv every year of youth and I think I know most of the dialogue by heart.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 25, 2020, 08:05:29 AM
Such a great movie. It was a Christmas staple on tv every year of youth and I think I know most of the dialogue by heart.

It still is!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 25, 2020, 08:05:29 AM

:yes: Downfall is great.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Liep on March 25, 2020, 07:49:48 AM

10/10
Had to look it up to be sure, but yes, it remains a favorite of mine :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: Liep on March 25, 2020, 07:49:48 AM

10/10

It's the weirdest and best Asterix movie. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.