News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Taboo (TV-series). Brooding and mysterious son returns to London from Africa in 1814 to claim his inheritance. I enjoyed it, a little bit different. Somewhat silly but not too bad. [spoiler]There is talk about lesbian sex.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

[spoiler]Don't forget incest.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

I just watched Self-Made, a 4-part series on Netflix. It's about Madam CJ Walker, the first self-made woman millionaire. She became rich by creating haircare products and hair salons for black women.

Good show, though it skips a lot of the details of her life.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

You know, this weekend I have watched Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, Star Trek: Picard, and working my way through the BSG reboot.

My 13 year old self had no idea how good things were going to be later in life.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2020, 11:40:03 PM
You know, this weekend I have watched Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, Star Trek: Picard, and working my way through the BSG reboot.

Yeah, but you had time to do all that because hockey was cancelled, so...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 21, 2020, 11:47:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2020, 11:40:03 PM

Yeah, but you had time to do all that because hockey was cancelled, so...

Laugh's on you: 13 year old Barrister didn't give a fuck about hockey.

44 year old Barrister on the other hand... :(

crazy canuck

mongers

Caught most of a SE Asian film 'Apprentrice', rather good, the story of a young man who goes to work for the chief executioner in a Singapore or Malaysian prison.

I didn't catch the start and wasn't entirely sure which country it was set in.
The language use varied from British English in formal settings, to a heavily accented almost 'pigeon' version for normal conversation(subtitles on but not need), to a 'native' language when the characters were arguing which definitely need sub-titles. 

Worth a viewing, well acted, interesting set up and less than 90 minutes.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

The Great Gatsby. Appears to be based on a Family Guy episode. OK but I haven't read the book so can't compare. I didn't play the "old sport" drinking game.

The Brain

Savonarola

Umberto D  (1952)

Downer of a film; even by the standards of neo-realism.  Vittorio De Sica's film captures the daily life of an old pensioner and his only companion, a dog.  There isn't much narrative; the old man goes through the city trying to raise the money to pay his back rent.  He realizes his case is hopeless and then discovers that there's no one even willing to take care of his dog.  Like I said, it's a real downer.

In true neo-realist style, the lead actor, Carlo Battisti, was a non professional actor (he was a professor of linguistics) and was never in another movie.  Despite that he does a fantastic job in the film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

A quiet place- surprisingly good despite the silly premise and showing the monsters. Clichéd ending of course.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2020, 09:37:24 AM
What went wrong   :P

I know - what was 13 yo me thinking? I could have played so much hockey in the last 30 years! :mad:  Sure would have beat watching sci-fi.

Josquius

I watched the first 3/4 of The Platform. A Spanish film very relevant to our current situation.
Guy is in a room in a big tower prison with a hole in the middle of the floor. Every day a platform containing food comes down the hole, those on the floors above first having had their way with it.
The message is bluntly delivered and not at all subtle. There should be enough food for everyone but the people above are dicks. And despite you changing floor randomly (?) every month nobody is interested in being nice to the people below and leaving some food.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Jojo Rabbit :wub:

Great cast and a wonderful story.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk