News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Finally got around to seeing 1917.

Man, what a cinematographic achievement.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Most cinemas closed since Saturday around here. Cinémathèques, like Cinémathèque française (max. venue 400 people) started then followed by the others. There is a ban of meetings with more than 100 people.

Malthus

Any of you seen the Russian series Life and Fate on Amazon Prime (or elsewhere)?

I think it may be of interest to this crowd.

It's based on the book by the same name by Vasily Grossman. Grossman was a journalist and writer famous in the Soviet Union, who was actually present at many of the pivotal battles of WW2, including Stalingrad (the setting for this book and series). He wrote this book, submitted it for publication - and was effectively made an "unperson"; all his stuff was confiscated, down to the ribbon of the typewriter on which he wrote it. Fortunately he made a copy, which was smuggled out of the Soviet Union and published, though after Grossman's death.

Anyway, I've only seen the first couple of episodes, and it looks good to me. I wondered what this crowd would think of it.

And no, Churchill doesn't show up at Stalingrad to win the battle.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on March 16, 2020, 08:56:34 AM
Any of you seen the Russian series Life and Fate on Amazon Prime (or elsewhere)?

I think it may be of interest to this crowd.

It's based on the book by the same name by Vasily Grossman. Grossman was a journalist and writer famous in the Soviet Union, who was actually present at many of the pivotal battles of WW2, including Stalingrad (the setting for this book and series). He wrote this book, submitted it for publication - and was effectively made an "unperson"; all his stuff was confiscated, down to the ribbon of the typewriter on which he wrote it. Fortunately he made a copy, which was smuggled out of the Soviet Union and published, though after Grossman's death.

Anyway, I've only seen the first couple of episodes, and it looks good to me. I wondered what this crowd would think of it.

And no, Churchill doesn't show up at Stalingrad to win the battle.  :P

Vassily Grossman's A Writer at War was one of the many sources for Max Hastings' All Hell Let Loose which covers WW2 from the ground level, focusing on how people (usually low ranking personnel) experienced it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2020, 09:04:37 AM
Vassily Grossman's A Writer at War was one of the many sources for Max Hastings' All Hell Let Loose which covers WW2 from the ground level, focusing on how people (usually low ranking personnel) experienced it.

Interesting that you should mention this!

That was how I found out about the TV series.

I was reading All Hell Let Loose and noticed the many references to Grossman; I looked him up; and that led me to the series.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

It doesn't seem to be on Prime over here, unfortunately.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Ep 1 of the the third season of Westworld was actually watchable, inventive, and not self-absorded with nonsensical pseudo-philosophical mumbo-jumbo. Pleasantly surprised.  :hmm:

crazy canuck

Yeah, has a lot of potential.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Ep 1 of the the third season of Westworld was actually watchable, inventive, and not self-absorded with nonsensical pseudo-philosophical mumbo-jumbo. Pleasantly surprised.  :hmm:

Yeah, surprised me as well. [spoiler]I'm still expecting the Nazi world to not be as fun and wild as I hope, though. [/spoiler]
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Netflix has put Outbreak in the rotation.  Not sure that's such a bright move.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2020, 02:54:06 PM
Netflix has put Outbreak in the rotation.  Not sure that's such a bright move.
Definitely smart. I'll be watching :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

I watched "The Masque of Red Death" yesterday.  :ph34r:

Sheilbh

I've just got a copy of Daniel Defoe's A Journal of the Plague Year :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

That chapter on Treblinka is the most powerful thing I've read on the Holocaust.

Josephus

Quote from: Maladict on March 16, 2020, 04:12:54 PM

That chapter on Treblinka is the most powerful thing I've read on the Holocaust.

Yeah. I think it was also one of the first first-hand witness accounts.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011