And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on April 02, 2020, 01:12:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 02, 2020, 01:09:47 PM
Finished Tiger King. I was entertained. One of the big surprises was [spoiler]the quality of his singing.[/spoiler]

Doing some google research it looks like [spoiler]he didn't sing himself[/spoiler].

That explains [spoiler]it.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Quote from: celedhring on April 02, 2020, 11:27:09 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 02, 2020, 11:24:46 AM
I also tried watching See on Apple +. Good production values, somewhat interesting, but after a while the whole premise of the show just seems so utterly silly. The huge inconsistencies also got to me. Like, why is the main baddy pierced? Why are their clothes coloured? Why, after a few hundred years living blind in tiny communities on the edge of extinction are there still mixed-race villages?

I think we're talking of different shows, unless Alexei Kosygin is revealed to have a Prince Albert in an episode I haven't yet seen.

Sorry about my Swenglish, I meant: I watched See, also on Apple +...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on April 02, 2020, 01:13:05 PM
That explains [spoiler]it.[/spoiler]

I don't really get [spoiler]it[/spoiler] either.

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on April 02, 2020, 01:13:51 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 02, 2020, 11:27:09 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 02, 2020, 11:24:46 AM
I also tried watching See on Apple +. Good production values, somewhat interesting, but after a while the whole premise of the show just seems so utterly silly. The huge inconsistencies also got to me. Like, why is the main baddy pierced? Why are their clothes coloured? Why, after a few hundred years living blind in tiny communities on the edge of extinction are there still mixed-race villages?

I think we're talking of different shows, unless Alexei Kosygin is revealed to have a Prince Albert in an episode I haven't yet seen.

Sorry about my Swenglish, I meant: I watched See, also on Apple +...

Oh yeah, that show looks utterly ridiculous.

Josquius

Jojo Rabbit was pretty good :)
Very Wes Anderson.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Saw Good Omens recently. Good to know Pestilence has retired.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Westworld season started last week. I think it's been a couple years between seasons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: KRonn on April 02, 2020, 07:46:32 PM
Westworld season started last week. I think it's been a couple years between seasons.

It took the writers a couple  years to figure out what happened in the last season.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2020, 07:47:44 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 02, 2020, 07:46:32 PM

It took the writers a couple  years to figure out what happened in the last season.

Hehe, maybe so. It's a pretty cool story line and good characters, but the nature of it brings the story in some unusual directions. [spoiler] Right now the main characters are in the real world, last season they had taken over and destroyed the company control centers of the theme park and escaped it all.  [/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2020, 09:55:48 PM
Watching Curtiz, black and whiter about the making of Casablanca.

More interesting as an artifact than as a movie.

Made with the cooperation of the Hungarian Film Board.  The star (the director of Casablanca) and several other parts are played by Hungarian speakers.  To answer the inevitable question, it's not a hurray Hungary Orban propaganda movie.

Production values are quite good.  Bergman and Bogie's faces are blurred out, whether because of licensing or artistic choice I don't know.  Interestingly Dooley Wilson (Sam) is shown full focus.  Peter Lorre and Claude Rains never appear on screen.

The film has two major defects.  One is the US government official charged with ensuring the movie is sufficiently patriotic.  He's a terrible actor and his lines are all retarded.  He's a cartoon character.  He's about a third of the movie unfortunately.

The other defect is that Curtiz is shown to be a rude asshole.  So the whole time I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, to be shown how his dickheadnesses relates to this artistic ability, how you can't have one without the other.  The shoe never drops.  There is no upside, he's just an asshole.  His rudeness is another third of the movie.

Admiral Yi

Twilight Zone E01S01

Perfect episode for viewing during a lock down.

Everyone should take a look.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Josquius

2 eps into Sunderland Till I die.
Luke  O'Nien :wub:
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I find Westworld one of those shows that really taxes your brain, and I wonder...ehh, am I really enjoying it?

Plus like latter seasons of Thrones, they really toned down the nudity. :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011