News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I certainly didn't enjoy season 2, but so far I'm enjoying season 3. It has a recognizable plot and stakes. It's a soft reboot from seasons 1-2, which is a good thing.

Caliga

Last night I watched an episode of DS9 where there was a virus on the station, and Commander Sisko ordered a quarantine and people were confined to their quarters.  Quark got yelled at because he wouldn't practice correct social distancing and therefore got a bunch more people sick.

Oh, and the guy giving everyone updates till he got sick was (Doctor) Bashir, and in Kentucky we are getting all of our updates from (Governor) Beshear - same pronunciation of the last name. :wacko:

I therefore conclude that Governor Beshear will get COVID-19.  Oh and maybe that Ferengis won't practice correct social distancing soon too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sophie Scholl

Parts of Season 2 of Westworld worked for me, but as a whole I found it a trainwreck. I haven't started season 3 yet. Right now I'm making my way through The Rise of Phoenixes on Netflix and eagerly anticipating the return of Harley Quinn which had its second season start today.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2020, 04:44:50 PM
Last night I watched an episode of DS9 where there was a virus on the station, and Commander Sisko ordered a quarantine and people were confined to their quarters.  Quark got yelled at because he wouldn't practice correct social distancing and therefore got a bunch more people sick.

Oh, and the guy giving everyone updates till he got sick was (Doctor) Bashir, and in Kentucky we are getting all of our updates from (Governor) Beshear - same pronunciation of the last name. :wacko:

I therefore conclude that Governor Beshear will get COVID-19.  Oh and maybe that Ferengis won't practice correct social distancing soon too.

Bill Gates probably funded the script.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2020, 04:44:50 PM

I chuckled at the name and story line similarities.  :)  I've been seeing a few episodes of DS-9 also, it used to be a favorite show. And those Ferengis  are such an unruly lot!

Liep

Can anyone recommend some movies where they travel? I have a serious urge to travel to somewhere far away but of course I can't and I have no idea when it might be possible to do again, so I turned to movies and watched The Darjeeling Limited, it helped a bit.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on April 04, 2020, 05:18:30 AM
Can anyone recommend some movies where they travel? I have a serious urge to travel to somewhere far away but of course I can't and I have no idea when it might be possible to do again, so I turned to movies and watched The Darjeeling Limited, it helped a bit.

Off the top of my head...

Into the Wild
All the Before... movies (Before Sunset/Sunrise/Midnight)
Motorcycle Diaries
El Camino (little known movie from Emilio Estévez about El Camino de Santiago=
Y Tu Mamá También
Encounters In the End of the World (aka Werner Herzog in the South Pole)

Syt

Some road trips:
National Lampoon's Vacation
Little Miss Sunshine
Kalifornia
Cannonball Run

For scenery, Lord of the Rings still holds up. For a warmer climate, Lawrence of Arabia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

So, I watched the first episode of Sunderland Till I Die. Lose a friendly against Celtic -> Riots. Brits  :lol:

EDIT: And of course Darron Gibson getting smashed and ranting at a pub. I remember this, actually.

Admiral Yi

Killing Them Softly 2012

A dry cleaner and two low lifes knock down a mobbed up poker place.  Brad Pitt gets hired to wack them.  The look is very gritty.  I think it's set in New Hampshire.

I liked the look and the characters and the dialogue, but it's just too short.  No build up, no tension.  Plus in the background news about the 08 crisis and Obama's campaign and election are constantly playing, and it gets annoying.  I think the writer and/or director were trying to deliver some profound reflection on the crisis, American society, and crime, but it doesn't work.

Threviel

Quote from: celedhring on April 04, 2020, 05:53:07 AM
El Camino (little known movie from Emilio Estévez about El Camino de Santiago=

That is a nice little feelgood gem. Found it when researching the camino and me and wife liked that movie alot.

Savonarola

Easy Rider
Il Sorpasso
The Searchers :alberta:
Red River :alberta:
The Good The Bad and The Ugly :alberta:

Oh, and, of course, The General and The Gold Rush   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tamas

Watched Jojo Rabbit. It's great.

Sophie Scholl

I'm a really big fan of One Week. "A dire medical diagnosis prompts a young man (Joshua Jackson) to search for meaning in his life via a cross-country trek across Canada on a vintage motorcycle." It's a great advertisement for roadtripping in Canada.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned