News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on April 17, 2020, 10:34:06 AM
General Idi Amin Dada: A Self-Portrait (1974)

An upbeat film about the ruler of a small African nation who lets nothing get him down.  The pressures of government mount as he continues to wage economic warfare with the west, he plans to invade the Golan Heights, and the head of his foreign service office is eaten by a crocodile; yet through it all he keeps a smile on his face  :).  Knowing that he'll go on to become King of Scotland :scots: makes this film the feel good hit of 1974.   :)

Idi Amin gave Barbet Schroeder near unlimited access to make this film; the result is indescribably weird.  Idi Amin is incredibly charismatic (if obviously a narcissist) and almost always in a jocular mood.  The film isn't so much the banality of evil; it's more like the situation comedy of evil.

Should do a Tiger King crossover. "Are my methheads unsound?"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on April 17, 2020, 09:12:35 AM
You definitely should watch the first two seasons. The show is really entertaining anyway.
I'll look to do that, watch the first two seasons. There are some cool characters and plots going on and it would be good to see it with more of a background to it all.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on April 17, 2020, 10:34:06 AM
General Idi Amin Dada: A Self-Portrait (1974)

An upbeat film about the ruler of a small African nation who lets nothing get him down.  The pressures of government mount as he continues to wage economic warfare with the west, he plans to invade the Golan Heights, and the head of his foreign service office is eaten by a crocodile; yet through it all he keeps a smile on his face  :).  Knowing that he'll go on to become King of Scotland :scots: makes this film the feel good hit of 1974.   :)

Idi Amin gave Barbet Schroeder near unlimited access to make this film; the result is indescribably weird.  Idi Amin is incredibly charismatic (if obviously a narcissist) and almost always in a jocular mood.  The film isn't so much the banality of evil; it's more like the situation comedy of evil.

My favorite part is [spoiler]Idi Amin Dad's dialog with the crocodiles; for some reason Idi claims the crocodile is hungry. Lack of political opponents, really?  :hmm:[/spoiler]

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on April 16, 2020, 01:56:33 AM
Season 2 of What we do in the Shadows is on HBO Spain  :w00t:
I watched an episode of that, it was extremely funny :)
Didn't like the movie though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Think I'm done with Westworld. Not sure what it's trying to do anymore. I get a headache watching it.
Switched to Dispatches from Elsewhere. Interesting AMC show. Watched 3 episodes. Intriguing.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on April 18, 2020, 07:33:11 AM
Think I'm done with Westworld. Not sure what it's trying to do anymore. I get a headache watching it.
Switched to Dispatches from Elsewhere. Interesting AMC show. Watched 3 episodes. Intriguing.

It's essentially The Foundation with Sheldon being French and the bad guy*. It feels rather disconnected from seasons 1-2, but it's probably for the best. The heights of the 3rd season are lower, but it's also less of a pretentious mess than it was during most of season 2.

*It's debatable whether Sheldon was the good guy in The Foundation, I guess.

mongers

'The Irishman' - a great film, Al Pacino was excellent as Jimmy Hoffa and Joe Pesci possibly put in his best ever performance.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on April 18, 2020, 07:52:33 AM

It's essentially The Foundation with Sheldon being French and the bad guy*. It feels rather disconnected from seasons 1-2, but it's probably for the best. The heights of the 3rd season are lower, but it's also less of a pretentious mess than it was during most of season 2.

*It's debatable whether Sheldon was the good guy in The Foundation, I guess.

I'm guessing that's not a typo of Seldon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I was of course talking about the *famous* Big Bang Theory episode where they build a complex mathematical system that predicts the fall of civilization and try to correct it.  :glare:

Josquius

2 eps of tales from the loop... The plots are really obvious, you see them coming a mile away. And the melancholic tone feels awfully forced. I'm not sure if I'll push myself through.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2020, 03:53:26 PM
2 eps of tales from the loop... The plots are really obvious, you see them coming a mile away. And the melancholic tone feels awfully forced. I'm not sure if I'll push myself through.

That's when I stopped too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 18, 2020, 11:34:06 AM
I was of course talking about the *famous* Big Bang Theory episode where they build a complex mathematical system that predicts the fall of civilization and try to correct it.  :glare:

I'd watch that. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

The Economist had a write up of that Phlegmish Robin Hood thing.  They say it starts stupid but picks up quickly.

Sophie Scholl

I'm somewhat enjoying this season so far. The total lack of anything "West" related makes the name a bit strange these days, but whatever. It is better than season 2. We'll see how it finishes out though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

So I really don't watch much TV (usually spend my time surfing the web/playing video games).  When I do watch TV, I'm usually looking for a show I can have on in the background, while I make supper / do laundry / whatever.  So it has to be a show that's good, but doesn't require too much attention.

So the other night I settled on Trailer Park Boys.

It's a show I've been aware of for 20 years.  It's a Canadian cable show (or at least it was, it's now on Netflix).  When I've seen it in the past I wasn't really taken with it.

But anyways, started watching it the other day while folding laundry.  It's actually pretty decent.  I specially like the conceit that it's a "mockumentary" so the characters are being followed by a film crew, which they often acknowledge - like when you see the characters do a robbery of a grocery store, and the CCTV footage includes the film crew following the characters as they go.

Now I'm only into season 2- I see it goes up to season 12 (and then following that an animated show) and I'm not sure the concept has that much staying power.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.