News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 16, 2017, 04:49:10 AM
I cannot have been the only geeky follower of obscure Brit comedies on late at night on PBS stations.  :P

Oh sure, viewership probably hit the double digits at times.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Ah, checking up Hyperdrive, which was OK, managed 2.

I think one difference Red Dwarf had was that it took a very "Alien"-esque approach to sci-fi. Everything was pretty 'kitchen sink' gritty and used.
Other sci fi comedies tried to go with the Star Trek style smooth and shiny Applesque aesthetic.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on May 15, 2017, 06:32:59 PM
Seth MacFarlane is coming out with a galaxy quest/Star Trek spoof. Probably gonna be better than the new real Star Trek show

https://youtu.be/Yy9sKeCE8V0
:lol:

Of course because the new real Star Trek doesn't exist & probably never will.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Now that I think of it, wasn't there a Galaxy Quest TV show in the works, too?  :hmm:

EDIT: Apparently got nixed because of Alan Rickman passing and scheduling problems with the rest of the original cast. http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/07/galaxy-quest-tv-show-on-hold-was-meant-to-star-original-cast

Ed Anger

British sci-fi sucks. People who like Doctor Who are potential pedeophiles.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 16, 2017, 07:50:56 AM
British sci-fi sucks. People who like Doctor Who are potential pedeophiles.

That is some faggoty ass shit.  Afraid of vacuum cleaners.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 16, 2017, 04:49:10 AM
I think Red Dwarf is a rather unique example (that proves the rule?).  And I wonder how successful it would have been if not for the massive American cult following (and it's timing...that same phenomenon arising from Monty Python's fame).  I cannot have been the only geeky follower of obscure Brit comedies on late at night on PBS stations.  :P

While it looks ok, I don't think this will have the low-budget, daring scrappiness of a Red Dwarf.

Pretty sure Red Dwarf rose and fell on it's UK ratings.

And no you were not the only one. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 16, 2017, 07:36:28 AM
Seth MacFarlane is coming out with a galaxy quest/Star Trek spoof. Probably gonna be better than the new real Star Trek show

they've announced a release date for September.  Let's see if they again push it back :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on May 16, 2017, 10:07:25 AM

they've announced a release date for September.  Let's see if they again push it back :)

They're also on their second ship and second crew, right?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 16, 2017, 10:39:28 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 16, 2017, 10:07:25 AM

They're also on their second ship and second crew, right?

I don't think so.  It's still the Discovery, and no actors have withdrawn that I'm aware of.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

So anyone getting excited about Twin Peaks...or is it just us Gen X-ers?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on May 16, 2017, 10:42:12 AM
So anyone getting excited about Twin Peaks...or is it just us Gen X-ers?

Not expecting much, just like every other attempt they make to rewind my younger years.

celedhring

I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Lynch's last good film was 15 years ago, and I can't think of any of those 1990s reboots/sequels that hasn't been soso at best. But I utterly loved the original.

But yeah, I'll watch it as soon as it comes up over here (we are on a 24 hour delay vs the US broadcast).

Ed Anger

I didn't like it the first go around.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Cool theme song, the two hotties were bone-crushing hott, the rest didn't do anything for me.