News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on May 15, 2017, 06:32:59 PM
Seth MacFarlane is coming out with a galaxy quest/Star Trek spoof. Probably gonna be better than the new real Star Trek show

https://youtu.be/Yy9sKeCE8V0

3 jokes endlessly repeated. Pass
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

The new King Arthur bombed in box office, Rotten Tomatoes gives it 26%, IMDB 7/10.  For a movie, that's an incredibly high score on IMDB and very low score on RT. 

Box office bomb could be explained by someone in charge of release at this particular studio thinking that going after one of Marvel's most successful movie franchise on its 2nd week-end would be nothing of concern.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2017, 07:07:57 PM
Seth MacFarlane is coming out with a galaxy quest/Star Trek spoof. Probably gonna be better than the new real Star Trek show

You're just a big hater fag.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 07:45:17 PM

You're just a big hater fag.

You have shitty opinions gay boy.

Eddie Teach

You endlessly repeat his money pit joke.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Tonitrus

It appears to have enough production quality that I'll give it a fair chance.

Though I am not sure a comedy sci-fi series will last long (the trailer definitely oozed "movie", not "series") unless it establishes a good, foundational setting/universe.  I doubt a live-action Futurama (which this is clearly not...at last not comparable in level of sci-fi absurdity) would have any kind of shot.

The "Star Trek ripoff" motif is already palpable...it will need to move beyond that quick.

And also...yet again...1 Baxter Way gets billing as a futuristic building in a sci-fi movie/show...gotta be a record.  :P

CountDeMoney

"A Million Ways To Die In The West" was stupid funny, and this will be too.

Tonitrus

Maybe...but would it have worked as a series?

CountDeMoney

If it had Stewie, yeah.

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 15, 2017, 11:53:20 PM

It appears to have enough production quality that I'll give it a fair chance.

Though I am not sure a comedy sci-fi series will last long (the trailer definitely oozed "movie", not "series") unless it establishes a good, foundational setting/universe.  I doubt a live-action Futurama (which this is clearly not...at last not comparable in level of sci-fi absurdity) would have any kind of shot.

The "Star Trek ripoff" motif is already palpable...it will need to move beyond that quick.

And also...yet again...1 Baxter Way gets billing as a futuristic building in a sci-fi movie/show...gotta be a record.  :P

Yes. I've seen too many scifi spoof tv series come and last only a single series.
But still, looks cool.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I'm only drawing the Red Dwarf as spoof space opera that lasted more than a season. Am I right?

Syt

Red Dwarf itself is a strange one. While it's clearly a comedy, it's sci-fi aspect was usually a comparatively serious premise for each episode that wouldn't have been amiss in Star Trek, and then the comedy came out of the characters and how they reacted to it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on May 16, 2017, 03:51:26 AM
Red Dwarf itself is a strange one. While it's clearly a comedy, it's sci-fi aspect was usually a comparatively serious premise for each episode that wouldn't have been amiss in Star Trek, and then the comedy came out of the characters and how they reacted to it.

There are lots of comedies about people reacting in funny ways to serious premises. Not strange at all.

Tonitrus

I think Red Dwarf is a rather unique example (that proves the rule?).  And I wonder how successful it would have been if not for the massive American cult following (and it's timing...that same phenomenon arising from Monty Python's fame).  I cannot have been the only geeky follower of obscure Brit comedies on late at night on PBS stations.  :P

While it looks ok, I don't think this will have the low-budget, daring scrappiness of a Red Dwarf.