TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, BB.

Josephus

I dont' think I've seen Neverending Story either.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Enjoying the 2nd series of 'Versailles' .  :frog:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Neverending story was one of my favorite films when I was a kid. Really bright and really scary at the same time, a winning formula when you're that age imho. I was a huge fan of Michael Ende's books back then (Momo was a book I read again and again). He had that mix of very imaginative worlds with dark underthemes, not unlike Roald Dahl which was my other favorite writer at the time.

The movie would probably be a pile of cheese if I tried watching it now. Some things are better left in your memories.

Eddie Teach

Yeah, loved it, probably wouldn't watch now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Neverending Story is screened (DCP so restored) next Wednesday at the Cinémathèque so I'll see if the practical effect have aged well or not.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2017, 12:48:27 PM
That movie scared the shit out of me back when I was seven. I couldn't take his horse dying.

the book is better. Though in both cases it's over 20 years ago.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on May 13, 2017, 01:59:43 AM
Neverending story was one of my favorite films when I was a kid. Really bright and really scary at the same time, a winning formula when you're that age imho. I was a huge fan of Michael Ende's books back then (Momo was a book I read again and again). He had that mix of very imaginative worlds with dark underthemes, not unlike Roald Dahl which was my other favorite writer at the time.

The movie would probably be a pile of cheese if I tried watching it now. Some things are better left in your memories.

Oh, by all means, drink melted Velveeta straight from the bowl, and let us know how it tastes.

garbon

Will this talk of the neverending story ever end? :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2017, 09:35:46 AM
Will this talk of the neverending story ever end? :wacko:

Yes happily ever after.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on May 08, 2017, 08:13:31 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2017, 08:07:55 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 07, 2017, 04:38:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2017, 01:57:51 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2017, 01:12:56 PM
First 2 eps of American Gods.... Wtf.
a) it's so good that you're speechless?
b) it's so bad that you're speechless?
c) it has nothing to do with the novels of the same name?
d) other, please explain?

e) he has no idea wtf is happening?

Yes. This.
[spoiler]
Wednesday is obviously oden.
3 old ladies... The fates? The guy with them, they strongly hint thor, but its too obvious. Some slavic deity. I know nothing of slavic deities.
Succubus lady I've no idea. Hoping she's some Mali goddess but I suspect Egyptian. The first antagonist?
Shadow is the big mystery. He seems to be someone. Maybe lucifer? But doubt they'll put the christian deities there. I hope a native American god.
Tech guy just made no sense. TV woman was logical in her worship the media thing but still no idea.
Dunno what leprechaun was up to other than being cool for the sake of it.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The sisters and the bother are Slavic, hence the stereotypes. What didn't make sense in regards to tech guy? the rest I can't really mention with ruining stuff.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]

I think I read this book 10-12 years ago perhaps longer.  Sometimes the way you imagine characters is so different from how they are portrayed.  For some reason, I thought of Shadow Moon as Native American.  I imagine Mr. Nancy as being older, Mr. Ilbis much lighter (I seem to remember Mr. Iblis and Mr. Jackal as being able to pass as black or white), and Mr. Wednesday as having white hair and a beard.  Also the Technical boy was supposed to be fat.    On the other hand, Mad Sweeny and the guy with the hammer are pretty close to how imagined them.  I couldn't remember if the queen of Sheba was white or black.[/spoiler]
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2017, 09:41:26 PM
I dont' think I've seen Neverending Story either.

I haven't, but I was a bit older than the target demographic when it came out.

Josquius

Get Out - Pretty good amusing thriller. Spoilerific as fuck:

[spoiler] I was expecting a horror movie. I hadn't read a synopsis or anything so was expecting ghosts to show up.
Which made it better really. I didn't quite know what was going on in the film. When it eventually revealed itself it was not what I expected the film to be about; namely that these rich white people aren't just trying too hard to be accepting and coming across as offensive....but that they're snatching black people's bodies. Really bizzare. Quite interesting how there's a contrast between the straight thriller of the stuff going on with the main character and the more stereotypical comedy black guy who then has to save the day of his friend.
[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

The Sound of Music (1965)

I read that this movie was called "The Rebel Novice Nun" when it was released in Mexico (that's one of many facts I'd hate to ruin by research.)  That's about the greatest name ever for a movie; it almost makes up for the fact that they translated the musical "Grease" as "Vaselina".

CB and I saw this on the big screen.  It's not really a dance movie, so it's not as much of an improvement as say "The King and I."  Still the views of the Austrian countryside and Salzburg are spectacular.  It's obvious that the outdoor scenes use only natural lighting because the characters faces go in and out of shadow.

This was the end of Hollywood's big blockbuster musicals.  In the CNN series the 70s they pointed out that this was the biggest grossing film the year the US first sent troops to Viet-nam.  By 1972, when the US withdrew its last troops, movies like "The Last Tango in Paris" dominated the box office.

Still a great movie, and a great deal of fun.  It features some of Rogers and Hammerstein's best songs.  (This was also Rogers and Hammerstein's last musical; Oscar Hammerstein died the year after The Sound of Music was released on Broadway.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock