News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2017, 02:45:26 PM
Watched most of "The Man Who Knew Infinity" last night.  Indian self taught mathematical savant goes to England to be all mathematical and stuff.

It's a lot like that editing the novel movie I talked about earlier.  Good cast (Jeremy Irons and Slumdog Millionaire), nicely shot and directed, etc, etc. but it's simply impossible to give a shit about two guys sitting in an office talking about proofs to theorems.  And they spend a lot of time doing that because apparently that's all he did in real life.

Not every movie can be Shanghai Noon, Yi.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

hahahahahaha good one.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

As much as Jackie Chan tries to be in all of them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

The new MST3K. Just awful.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 04, 2017, 07:41:03 PM
The new MST3K. Just awful.

Not even Patton Oswalt could save it.  :(

frunk

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

frunk

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 04, 2017, 08:06:49 PM
Me and Seedy will pray for you.

I'll agree that the intros and breaks aren't very good, but they've always sucked.  All of the mads are dull/annoying rather than funny, and Day and Oswalt live down to that expectation.  The good bits are in the movies.

CountDeMoney

You probably like the Star Wars prequels, too.  And the reedited versions of the original trilogy.  Weirdo.

Savonarola

American Movie (1999)

Even better than what I remembered.  Mark Borchardt with his boundless ambition and limited resources; and his cheerful burn-out best friend Mike Schank are endlessly fascinating. 

Coven (that's COH-ven, not cuh-ven) is included as a bonus feature.  Given what Borchardt had to work with (and his many personal problems) that turned out pretty well.  It probably wouldn't be very good if you just saw it on its own, but after seeing American Movie it's worthwhile.  I assume it's a lot easier to make something like that today; back then that was quite a project.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2017, 09:55:21 PM
You probably like the Star Wars prequels, too.  And the reedited versions of the original trilogy.  Weirdo.

Nope, the prequels were shit and the reedits pointless wastes.  My heresy is feeling lukewarm towards even the good Star Wars movies.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on May 05, 2017, 05:13:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2017, 09:55:21 PM

Nope, the prequels were shit and the reedits pointless wastes.  My heresy is feeling lukewarm towards even the good Star Wars movies.

They were running the movies on TBS yesterday;  For decades, do not recall Vader ever saying "Noooo!" when he was tossing the Emperor over the railing in ROTJ.  But there he was.

Stupid Lucas.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2017, 05:56:02 PM
For decades, do not recall Vader ever saying "Noooo!" when he was tossing the Emperor over the railing in ROTJ. 
it's hard to recall something that wasn't there :P

the special effects are nice, but the edits, it's something I would have put in the extras.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I really enjoyed this season of Last Kingdom  :)