Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2017, 03:46:40 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2017, 03:31:32 PM
Last Jack Ryan flick. Is it watchable?

Is that the one in which Seedy gets nuked?  If so I say take it or leave it.  It won't cause physical pain.

That looks like a major spoiler, is it?

So far it's True Lies without being fun. But passable.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2017, 04:07:30 PM

Only in the sense that you don't expect a US city to get nuked in a movie.

Savonarola

Dr. Strange (2017)

T-R-I-P-P-Y

While the plot doesn't offer a lot of surprises and the villain is one dimensional; the MC Escher action scenes more than make up for it.  I had written in my review of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" that:

QuoteWizards really need a better way of resolving conflicts than pointing wands at each other and making angry faces.  They should teach magical karate at Hogwarts.

This film delivers on that count.

I read that Scott Derrickson made the ancient one a young woman in order to avoid the cliche of an ancient Chinese master.  Then he decided to make her white, rather than Asian, in order to not exploit an Asian fetish or create a fanboy's dream girl.  Once again Hollywood has failed this generation of young men.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2017, 04:09:53 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2017, 04:07:30 PM

Only in the sense that you don't expect a US city to get nuked in a movie.

Well, it's just Baltimore.

I meant the new one with James Kirk playing Ryan though. Just remembered the Affleck one is the one that got the nuclear 'splosion.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2017, 04:29:06 PM
I meant the new one with James Kirk playing Ryan though. Just remembered the Affleck one is the one that got the nuclear 'splosion.

Asoka.  Dinnae see.  Dinnae really notice.

CountDeMoney

And it was beautiful.  Only thing better would've been if the Steelers were in town.

celedhring

Finished it. It's pretty unremarkable, but there's way worse. The villainous plot is pretty far-fetched even for movie standards. [spoiler]The Russkies plan to tank the American economy by selling 2 BILLION DOLLARS!!! of treasuries after a terror attack. I hope it's European billions, at least.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

[spoiler]That's just retarded, sir.[/spoiler]

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2017, 05:10:03 PM
Finished it. It's pretty unremarkable, but there's way worse. The villainous plot is pretty far-fetched even for movie standards. [spoiler]The Russkies plan to tank the American economy by selling 2 BILLION DOLLARS!!! of treasuries after a terror attack. I hope it's European billions, at least.[/spoiler]
they were copying Austin Powers :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Another great part is when the UN takes a vote to allow the building of an oil pipe in Turkey that would bypass Russia and crash their oil income. I was like "this is not how the UN works, this isn't how ANYTHING works"  :lol:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2017, 04:19:52 AM

Make Baltimore great again!

That's almost a work of modern art.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2017, 07:22:12 PM
Another great part is when the UN takes a vote to allow the building of an oil pipe in Turkey that would bypass Russia and crash their oil income. I was like "this is not how the UN works, this isn't how ANYTHING works"  :lol:

That sounds almost stupid enough to be amusing.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Weak. We know how to set rivers on fire.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2017, 09:22:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2017, 07:22:12 PM

That sounds almost stupid enough to be amusing.  ;)

The film felt very 90s-like, when the ridiculousness of the premise was kinda almost a requirement to the proceedings in all these action thrillers. But the film should've been a bit more over the top if they really wanted to go that route, and it was rather low key. Not a single memorable action or spionage scene in it. The cast was very charismatic so it wasn't totally unwatchable, but the film can't be safely ignored.