News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on April 25, 2017, 01:39:00 PM
Significantly both Berry and Smokey are absent from the film. 

IIRC the band was cut out of the 25th anniversary special.  They may not have the fondest memories of management.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I was surprised how white the Funk Brothers were (IIRC).

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2017, 02:12:49 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 25, 2017, 01:39:00 PM
Significantly both Berry and Smokey are absent from the film. 

IIRC the band was cut out of the 25th anniversary special.  They may not have the fondest memories of management.

Yep, James Jamerson (the bassist) had to scalp a ticket to see the show.

Edit:  Although the Motown 25th Anniversary was 19 years before this film was made.  Even Diana Ross mellowed out, a little, in that time.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2017, 10:34:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2017, 09:47:39 AM
I didn't think 18th c. France was so full of British people either.

Did you ever try 18th century British cooking?
everything boiled, even that poor little chicken that only asked to be roasted?  Yeah, we kinda experienced that ever since the conquest :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2017, 02:19:51 PM
I was surprised how white the Funk Brothers were (IIRC).

It was about a 50/50 split (at least among the ones in the film.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2017, 10:34:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2017, 09:47:39 AM
I didn't think 18th c. France was so full of British people either.

Did you ever try 18th century British cooking?
If it wasn't full of British people it should have been.

The author of The Baroque Cycle wrote a scene in which one of his characters had to fool some distant observers - he had to fake excreting into the water from a ship. To stage this deception, he grabbed some of his dinner to stand in as feces to let fall.

In a rueful aside, the character remarked to himself how very suitable British cookery was for staging this sort of deception ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

On the subject of the Motown 25th Anniversary Special, check out The Four Tops versus The Temptations.  The Four Tops couldn't dance; Motown's choreographer taught them the move where they all put their arms up and wiggle and sent them on their way.  The Temptations, on the other hand, had dozens of dances, including the famous Temptations Walk.  So in the battle of the bands the Temptation are giving it their all, while the Four Tops walk awkwardly around the stage.

Syt

I started watching Frasier again. Such a wonderful show. :wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Oh, 30th September, "An Evening With John Waters." First his two hour "This Filthy World" program live on stage, followed by a screening of the restored "Multiple Maniacs" ... :shifty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Born in China (2017)

For those of us old enough to remember "The Wonderful World of Disney" (Sundays at 7 PM, 6 Central and Mountain) this will be little bit of nostalgia.  It's a nature documentary where the narrator tells little stories about the animals on screen.  While not as elaborate as some of the Disney documentaries of yore (everyone knows that, in the wild, hammerhead sharks and house cats are natural enemies; but ole mama shark just couldn't bring herself to let this little kitten fend for herself), the stories are still a little silly.  The cinematography is gorgeous, though, that benefits from the big screen; but if you saw it at home you'd have a chance to fire back with your own commentary.

While nothing is killed on screen; the film does depict death.  While it's not to the heroic level of the past (oh lemmings, why must you break our hearts?  :(), it is something for parents of young children to be aware of.

Syt

As for old animal shows, I grew up with reruns of Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler on Sunday afternoons :wub:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2017, 08:34:59 AM
As for old animal shows, I grew up with reruns of Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler on Sunday afternoons :wub:

Brought to us by the good people of Mutual of Omaha.  Those were great too.   :)

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Imelda (2004)

Before watching this documentary, the only thing I could tell you about Imelda Marcos is that she owned a lot of shoes.  (Actually even her critics interviewed in the film were willing to give that a pass; owning a gargantuan number of shoes is expected behavior for a Filipina.)  After watching this I learned that she's a slippery character; it was hard to tell if she was ignorant, self deceptive or just lying every time they put the camera on her.  She came across as a cross between Eva Peron, Monica Conyers and Oprah.

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on April 26, 2017, 09:04:19 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2017, 08:34:59 AM

Brought to us by the good people of Mutual of Omaha.  Those were great too.   :)

Oh, the scenes in those when the lions run around and kill things; that's a bunch of crap.  We waited so long watching lionesses stalk impala that one of my co-workers said that he's going to use "Like watching a lion hunt" in place of "Like watching paint dry."