Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 07, 2017, 04:38:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2017, 01:57:51 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2017, 01:12:56 PM
First 2 eps of American Gods.... Wtf.
a) it's so good that you're speechless?
b) it's so bad that you're speechless?
c) it has nothing to do with the novels of the same name?
d) other, please explain?

e) he has no idea wtf is happening?

Yes. This.
[spoiler]
Wednesday is obviously oden.
3 old ladies... The fates? The guy with them, they strongly hint thor, but its too obvious. Some slavic deity. I know nothing of slavic deities.
Succubus lady I've no idea. Hoping she's some Mali goddess but I suspect Egyptian. The first antagonist?
Shadow is the big mystery. He seems to be someone. Maybe lucifer? But doubt they'll put the christian deities there. I hope a native American god.
Tech guy just made no sense. TV woman was logical in her worship the media thing but still no idea.
Dunno what leprechaun was up to other than being cool for the sake of it.
[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2017, 08:07:55 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 07, 2017, 04:38:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2017, 01:57:51 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2017, 01:12:56 PM
First 2 eps of American Gods.... Wtf.
a) it's so good that you're speechless?
b) it's so bad that you're speechless?
c) it has nothing to do with the novels of the same name?
d) other, please explain?

e) he has no idea wtf is happening?

Yes. This.
[spoiler]
Wednesday is obviously oden.
3 old ladies... The fates? The guy with them, they strongly hint thor, but its too obvious. Some slavic deity. I know nothing of slavic deities.
Succubus lady I've no idea. Hoping she's some Mali goddess but I suspect Egyptian. The first antagonist?
Shadow is the big mystery. He seems to be someone. Maybe lucifer? But doubt they'll put the christian deities there. I hope a native American god.
Tech guy just made no sense. TV woman was logical in her worship the media thing but still no idea.
Dunno what leprechaun was up to other than being cool for the sake of it.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The sisters and the bother are Slavic, hence the stereotypes. What didn't make sense in regards to tech guy? the rest I can't really mention with ruining stuff.[/spoiler]
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was fun.
Started very strong. Great soft retro Sci fi.
The exposition joke works the first few times though grows old.
The middle sort of lags, has the typical falling out from every movie though thankfully they don't dwell on it. The end is inevitable.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Just came out from GotG2, too. Feels less fresh than the first one, as they pretty much hit the same buttons but this time with the volume dialed up to 11, but it's still funny and entertaining. Predictable character arcs, scattershot plot, but good jokes here and there too. Decent popcorn flick.

Savonarola

The NeverEnding Story (1984)

The band REM once decided to make an album of fast tempo rockers.  The musicians got together started jamming and Michael Stipe joined them a few weeks later and discovered they had created something very different then what they had set out to do, something which would ultimately become: Automatic for the People.  If REM set out to make an upbeat children's movie this is what they would have come up with.

I had missed this when it first came to theaters.  As an adult it's one downer of a children's movie; filled with Swamps of Sadness  :(, giant turtles that don't care that they don't care  :(, bummed out rock creatures  :(, the Nothing  :( and Major Dad  :(.  What they needed was a Never Ending Party

I liked the exposition wolf in the end.  JK Rowling should have made Dumbledore a wolf as an homage; plus exposition wolf is much cooler than exposition wizard.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

That movie scared the shit out of me back when I was seven. I couldn't take his horse dying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

You're of the right age - how could you have possibly avoided the Neverending Story as a kid? :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Lol, Neverending Story
That was THE movie to goof on back in the day

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2017, 12:55:13 PM
You're of the right age - how could you have possibly avoided the Neverending Story as a kid? :o

I think it was it like The Princess Bride; something that didn't have much of a following in the theaters, but caught on later thanks to VCR.  I might have been a little too old for it by the time it was released on VCR (plus all my friends were into action movies.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 12, 2017, 12:59:30 PM
Lol, Neverending Story
That was THE movie to goof on back in the day

Nothing like a heavy dose of Euro synth pop to round out your standard German-Canadian-American film production.
the 80s.  If they hadn't happened, we would have had to invent them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2017, 12:55:13 PM
Still never seen it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

I've only seen a music video of the title track in a video cafe.

HVC

The showed a screening at one of my elementary schools, but for the life of me I can't recall anything beyond the furry dragon.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

You monkeys probably saw Buckaroo Banzai, Ice Pirates and Night of the Comet enough times you dicks could've fallen off, but you skipped Neverending Stupid.  Weak.

Barrister

Teen Titans Go! was mentioned on here a little while back.  I mentioned that my kids love it and watch it all the time.

Well it was fun once around, but loses it's charm on the 4th or 5th viewing.  So I bought the first season of Teen Titans (no go), which was the series that came before.  It has the same voice actors, but was done much more straight and serious.  It started in 2003.  They're doing a nice job of an overarching storyline, and sneaking in some character growth and development.  It's still aimed at a grade-school audience, but it's amusing in it's own way.

Also something hit me about the show when I was looking it up.  One of the characters is Raven, the dark and troubled half-demon spell-caster.  In Go! it's revealed she has a secret love for the tv show Pretty Pretty Pegasus - an obvious My Little Pony stand-in.  Except it turns out that the voice actor for Raven is also the voice actor for Twilight Sparkle! :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.