News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

My mom took me to see The Sound of Music way back when it first came out.   I hated it, at least up to the part when the family had to flee the Nazis.  Age 3 is probably not the best time to expose a kid to Hollywood musicals (except maybe The Wizard of Oz).

Savonarola

Quote from: dps on May 14, 2017, 05:18:35 PM
My mom took me to see The Sound of Music way back when it first came out.   I hated it, at least up to the part when the family had to flee the Nazis.  Age 3 is probably not the best time to expose a kid to Hollywood musicals (except maybe The Wizard of Oz).

Especially since The Sound of Music is so long (nearly 3 hours.)

One of my aunts once had a number of my younger cousins over and she showed them "South Pacific."  One of my cousins (who was about ten at the time) kept saying how unrealistic everything was; skies don't magically change colors and people don't just break out into song for no reason.  He went on to become a software engineer.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Had to root for the Germans in that one.

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on May 14, 2017, 05:43:37 PM
Quote from: dps on May 14, 2017, 05:18:35 PM

Especially since The Sound of Music is so long (nearly 3 hours.)

One of my aunts once had a number of my younger cousins over and she showed them "South Pacific."  One of my cousins (who was about ten at the time) kept saying how unrealistic everything was; skies don't magically change colors and people don't just break out into song for no reason.  He went on to become a software engineer.

Invite him over, a perfect Languish fit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Finished watching the first season of Hap and Leonard. I thought it was great stuff - if you are into redneck noir and black comedy.  ;) I'm a big fan of the books and I thought the adaptation was very well done.

Plus can't argue with Christina Hendricks as Hap's bad news ex-wife.   :D Actually, everyone was well cast.

This was based pretty closely on the first book in the series (Savage Season), which is actually not my favorite, but it was still very entertaining. The second season is now out (based on Mucho Mojo), and I'm very much looking forward to it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on May 14, 2017, 04:53:09 PM
This was the end of Hollywood's big blockbuster musicals.

I was mistaken about this; both "Dr. Doolittle" and "Hello Dolly" were released after "The Sound of Music."  Those were both box office disappointments.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2017, 12:19:47 PM

I was mistaken about this; both "Dr. Doolittle" and "Hello Dolly" were released after "The Sound of Music."  Those were both box office disappointments.

Camelot and Fiddler on the Roof not make enough money? Was Oliver! disqualified because it was British?

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 12:49:11 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2017, 12:19:47 PM

Camelot and Fiddler on the Roof not make enough money? Was Oliver! disqualified because it was British?

Oliver! was also a disappointment; don't know about the other two.

Barrister

Fiddler grossed $80 million.
Camelot grossed $31 million (both figures not adjusted).

Camelot was the 10th best grossing picture of 1967, whereas Fiddler was #2 for 1971.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

If a $77M box office take for a Oliver!'s $10M budget is a box office disappointment, then you go ahead and have your own discussion.  I'm out. :)

Savonarola

And that's what I get for trusting the IMDB trivia section.   :(

Admiral Yi

Watched a chunk of Bad Moms last night.  It's watchable.  This new comedic writing style of never ending one liners means you're never going to have a totally dry stretch.

HVC

Seth MacFarlane is coming out with a galaxy quest/Star Trek spoof. Probably gonna be better than the new real Star Trek show

https://youtu.be/Yy9sKeCE8V0
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 01:02:42 PM
If a $77M box office take for a Oliver!'s $10M budget is a box office disappointment, then you go ahead and have your own discussion.  I'm out. :)
Alien Covenant May 19
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 15, 2017, 06:35:26 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 01:02:42 PM
Alien Covenant May 19

Democracy dies in space.