News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2017, 11:59:38 AM
Cool theme song, the two hotties were bone-crushing hott, the rest didn't do anything for me.

Shelly Johnson was one of my first obsessions during my puberty.

CountDeMoney

I actually liked the movie better as a total package.  And Moira Kelly was much hotter as Donna than Laura Flynn Boyle.  Naughty little schoolgirl.

celedhring

The script for Fire Walk With Me was the first movie script I ever read. My uni had this large-ish movie script library and on my first day in college, I went down there and procured and xeroxed that one to read. This was 1996, and the film had never been shown in Spain.

Actually, I should still keep that xeroxed copy stashed somewhere in my parents' house.

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on April 25, 2017, 04:06:47 PM
On the subject of the Motown 25th Anniversary Special, check out The Four Tops versus The Temptations.  The Four Tops couldn't dance; Motown's choreographer taught them the move where they all put their arms up and wiggle and sent them on their way.  The Temptations, on the other hand, had dozens of dances, including the famous Temptations Walk.  So in the battle of the bands the Temptation are giving it their all, while the Four Tops walk awkwardly around the stage.

My wife was telling the ladies at her gym class this.  One African-American woman said "You mean they found four black men who couldn't dance?" :yeahright:

Berry Gordy could find a hit song writing postman; he could find anything.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2017, 12:18:47 PM
I actually liked the movie better as a total package.  And Moira Kelly was much hotter as Donna than Laura Flynn Boyle.  Naughty little schoolgirl.

Strange. I actually don't remember someone other than Laura Flynn Boyle in the role. But I only saw the movie once, and when it came out. So it's been a while
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Split. Decent film, going back to basics has definitely helped Shyamalan, and here he takes a simple "trapped" piece and cranks up the mood and the tension. McAvoy is utterly brilliant portraying the multiple personalities of the captor. However,[spoiler] the film is marred by an awful cop out ending where the villain just leaves his last victim alive and takes off because reasons and sequel. However, all is slightly forgiven because it set ups an Unbreakable sequel.[/spoiler]

Savonarola

Feux Rouges (2004)

French film which spends the first 45 minutes featuring a couple bickering and the man drunk driving  I could have just hung out at the County Line Saloon if I wanted to see that; plus there's a mechanical bull there :alberta:.  Anyhow the film picks up significantly when the wife leaves to take the train; the husband picks up a mysterious hitch hiker and slowly it dawns on the husband that the man he picked up is a fugitive and he's in a great deal of danger.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Was just watching the episode of Mad Men that covers when Kennedy was killed. My mind couldn't help to drift to how the scene might be if it were covering our current president. -_-

I'd like to think there would be still the sentiment expressed that it doesn't matter your politics, you don't shoot the president.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2017, 01:09:56 PM
And that's what I get for trusting the IMDB trivia section.   :(

Worse, they did not mention these two notorious musicals: Xanadu and Can't stop the music.  :hug:
Quite worth a mention.  :P

QuoteCan't Stop the Music is notorious for being the first winner of the Worst Picture Golden Raspberry Award, for it was a double feature of this and Xanadu that inspired John J. B. Wilson to start the Razzies.[3]
:lmfao:

CountDeMoney

I liked Xanadu. :(

Gene Kelly.  :(

viper37

Quote from: garbon on May 16, 2017, 04:05:29 PM
My mind couldn't help to drift to how the scene might be if it were covering our current president. -_-

Already made:

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 16, 2017, 11:46:52 AM
I didn't like it the first go around.

First season was good, but it went downhill quickly because Lynch didn't really care about the murder mystery.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2017, 04:31:10 PM

Even if you liked Xanadu, Gene Kelly deserved better.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 16, 2017, 05:02:19 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2017, 04:31:10 PM

Even if you liked Xanadu, Gene Kelly deserved better.

He was old and infirm.  That's how the olds get exploited.
And if I were that old, I wouldn't give two shits why I was able to old-man creepster on ONJ.

Josephus

Quote from: dps on May 16, 2017, 04:48:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 16, 2017, 11:46:52 AM
I didn't like it the first go around.

First season was good, but it went downhill quickly because Lynch didn't really care about the murder mystery.

That's pretty much the consensus. Trouble was though, as I understood it, Lynch only cared about the murder mystery but the network wanted to prolong the series so they started building sub plots. The sub plots were very lame. It got boring very quickly.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011