News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Dunno, Marco Polo maybe worked as a wuxia exploitation exercise (hot Asian chicks! Martial arts! Kitchen sink mysticism!) but the plotlines were extremely convoluted, the lead very flat. They obviously tried to replicate the mix of epicness, palace intrigue, cynic morality play and boobies from GoT, but it never worked for me.

Eddie Teach

The fact that there was a lead suggests to me that they weren't really trying to recreate GoT. Of course, Kublai steals the show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

So I read the blurb for Redbelt, and it's written by David Mamet, and I don't really keep track of writers but I know he's a name.  It stars 12 Years a Slave dude, and has the Tailor of Panama chick.  Turns out it's about a new form of MMA in which the fighters pick a marble from a bowl before the fight, and the guy who picks the black marble has one of his arms tied or he's blindfolded.  How the fuck did someone think this was a good idea for a fighting centered movie?

Sophie Scholl

Brockmire is awesome.  Amanda Peet has held up incredibly well.  Wow.  Definitely going to watch this going forward.  Amusing sidenote?  My sister basically works for the real world version of the evil fracking company.  She works for Seneca Resources Corporation out of the Pittsburgh area. :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tonitrus

Paint Your Wagon

I liked it.  :ph34r:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 18, 2017, 02:00:10 AM
Brockmire is awesome.  Amanda Peet has held up incredibly well.  Wow.  Definitely going to watch this going forward.  Amusing sidenote?  My sister basically works for the real world version of the evil fracking company.  She works for Seneca Resources Corporation out of the Pittsburgh area. :lol:

Told ya.  Wait for the fracking riot.  "Maybe it's because the air in Butler is different, the air of superiority."

Barrister

So Trailer for Star Trek Discovery is out.

First, I do have to say it looks gorgeous.  As it should with all the advancements in CGI.

But why, when it says "10 years before Kirk and Spock"... does it look nothing like TOS?  And why introduce a another half-human, half Vulcan character?  Spock was great, he was an icon, but his charcter pretty much did all you can do with the struggle between the two halves.  There's not really anywhere new for this new character to go.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Ugh, those Klingons.  :yucky:

They should have gone with an anthology format.  I think it would have been fantastic with the ST universe, and they could then bounce around all over the timeline, and far more opportunities for different ships/crews/characters/stories.  Save the expense on a popular actor/cast clinging on for multiple seasons, while still being able to bring popular ones back on occasion as appropriate.

But Abrams' fucking with the universe blew that all to hell and gone anyway.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2017, 11:04:37 AM
But why, when it says "10 years before Kirk and Spock"... does it look nothing like TOS? 
10 years before they were born, maybe?

QuoteAnd why introduce a another half-human, half Vulcan character?
It tought it was Sarek talking to his son (Spock) in the trailer?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 18, 2017, 11:06:26 AM

They should have gone with an anthology format.  I think it would have been fantastic with the ST universe, and they could then bounce around all over the timeline, and far more opportunities for different ships/crews/characters/stories.  Save the expense on a popular actor/cast clinging on for multiple seasons, while still being able to bring popular ones back on occasion as appropriate.

Nah - anthologies, like prequels, suck.  YOu don't get a chance to get invested in the characters.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Holy crap, there's already a feature-length documentary about Macron and his French election win uploaded to Netflix. Back in the time within the profession we used to joke about "instant movies" (films that are rushed into production in order to exploit a real life event) but this probably takes the medal.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2017, 11:56:49 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 18, 2017, 11:06:26 AM

Nah - anthologies, like prequels, suck.  YOu don't get a chance to get invested in the characters.

Sometimes they're not worth it, and then you're stuck with cancelling the series, or trotting out the lame crap week after week/year after year (ala Voyager).  :P

HVC

ugh Voyager. Even Enterprise I could kind of get into in a "there's nothing else on" sort of way, but Voyager was the worst.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

I actually thought the premise of Voyager was really good/cool, but the execution was bad.

It was the kind of premise that should have had a story arc planned out for a few seasons at most.  Not dragged on without a plan.

In the reverse, I kinda thought DS9 was a lame premise, that turned out/executed better than expected.