News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Watching George Clooney fall for the hooker in The American has me all verklepmt.  :cry:

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on May 19, 2017, 11:08:36 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 19, 2017, 04:45:21 PM
The Witch. Decent, but certainly overhyped. I mean, 90% of it it's atmosphere, but the story in itself is rather flat.
An international co-production of the United States and Canada
but the story in itself is rather flat.

they kind of go together.  See How to plan an orgy in a small town as evidence.
Except Ginger Snaps 1,2,3, I don't think I've seen a good Canadian (outside of Quebec) movie in years.
Well, come to think of that, it's been years to for a Quebec movie too.

I mean, it's your usual "I'm going to kill you all one by one while you argue between yourselves" slasher plot done countless of times, it's just that the setting and characters freshen it up. The problem is that it's not bloody/scary enough to be a slasher flick, nor elaborate enough to be a psychological horror flick. But the atmosphere and directing is great - I look forward seeing more from this director.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2017, 12:55:36 AM
Watching George Clooney fall for the hooker in The American has me all verklepmt.  :cry:

Yet you both knew how this was going to turn out.

Ed Anger

Wargames. Ally Sheedy. :perv:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

King Charles III- Quite Shakespearean in style. Lizzie dies, Charles becomes King, he can't bring himself to sign a terrible bill. Hilarity ensues,.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 20, 2017, 07:41:45 PM

I preferred Breakfast Club Ally Sheedy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2017, 03:57:33 PM

Hill Street Blues Ally Sheedy.  :ph34r:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Never watched Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Heathers, and probably never won't.

I think Ferris Bueller is the only seminal 1980s teenage movie I have seen.

dps

Quote from: celedhring on May 21, 2017, 05:40:55 PM
Never watched Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Heathers, and probably never won't.

Heathers and Fast Times at Ridgemont High are really good.  Haven't seen the others, and have no desire to.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2017, 04:34:42 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2017, 03:57:33 PM

Hill Street Blues Ally Sheedy.  :ph34r:

Short Circuit Ally Sheedy  :nerd:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on May 21, 2017, 05:42:29 PM

Heathers and Fast Times at Ridgemont High are really good.  Haven't seen the others, and have no desire to.

And you're the one talking about young people not getting movie references.   :lol: They're not the pop culture illiterates. 

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2017, 06:36:18 PM
Quote from: dps on May 21, 2017, 05:42:29 PM

And you're the one talking about young people not getting movie references.   :lol: They're not the pop culture illiterates. 

I've seen the clips/trailers (which is why I have no interest in seeing the movies), so I get the references.