News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

From what I've heard about that movie, I'm afraid the USS Ranger is just going to have to sail on without me.

Admiral Yi

Watched Deepwater Horizon.

[spoiler]It's all the fault of BP.  Everything blows up.[/spoiler]

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2017, 04:16:50 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 22, 2017, 02:20:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2017, 02:18:01 PM
Poor bastards, stuck on 80s movie teenybopper ass, when Heather Locklear was on TV every week.

That sure sounds nice, but that meant sometimes enduring William Shatner's ridiculous turn as cop.

You are 0-fer-2 in just the last page of this thread, young man. :mad:

To be honest,I mostly watched this show for the so-bad-it's-good factor.  :P
Besides, Heather Locklear only arrived in a later season.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 23, 2017, 12:16:24 AM
Watched Deepwater Horizon.

[spoiler]It's all the fault of BP.  Everything blows up.[/spoiler]

Thanks.  :rolleyes:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on May 23, 2017, 07:26:29 AM
Thanks.  :rolleyes:

Admiral Yi rooted for Union Carbide and the Exxon Valdez.  Big fan of the underdog.

viper37

There's a new series next Monday on CTV in Canada, NBC or ABC in the US.  I think...
Still Star Crossed.
It's a sequel to Romeo & Juliet.  It looks nice from the preview, so I'll at least watch the first episode to see if it's something else than some teenage show about a love triangle.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

So....Twin Peaks.

I'm hoping for a bit more from the original cast. So far we got a few cameo teasers, but not sure if they're going to play a major part or not
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Springtime in a Small Town (2002)

Chinese film and a remake of the 1948 Chinese film "Spring in a Small Town."  This is set in the immediate post war period, a couple has an unhappy marriage; then the husband's childhood friend comes to visit who, as it turns out, was the wife's boyfriend before the war.  Hilarity ensues.

This has a really slow pace, which takes some getting used to.  Everything is shot at a distance, usually through windows or doors, as if we're voyeurs spying on this family drama.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 23, 2017, 10:13:36 AM
There's a new series next Monday on CTV in Canada, NBC or ABC in the US.  I think...
Still Star Crossed.
It's a sequel to Romeo & Juliet.  It looks nice from the preview, so I'll at least watch the first episode to see if it's something else than some teenage show about a love triangle.

Didn't Romeo and Juliet both kill themselves in the play of the same name? Hard to see how their story can have a "sequel".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

From the wiki page:

QuoteFollowing the tragic deaths of Romeo and Juliet, Rosaline Capulet is betrothed against her will to Benvolio Montague by Prince Escalus, who hopes to end the bitter feud between their families. The two set out to find a way to prevent the arranged marriage and, at the same time, prevent the destruction of their families.

I've heard of worse premises to go on... :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2017, 12:35:17 PM
Didn't Romeo and Juliet both kill themselves in the play of the same name?
I don't know... I'm not very familiar with english litterature ;)

Hard to see how their story can have a "sequel".  ;)
That never stopped Hollywood before.

But I did say a sequel to Romeo&Juliet, not their story :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on May 23, 2017, 12:55:39 PM
From the wiki page:

QuoteFollowing the tragic deaths of Romeo and Juliet, Rosaline Capulet is betrothed against her will to Benvolio Montague by Prince Escalus, who hopes to end the bitter feud between their families. The two set out to find a way to prevent the arranged marriage and, at the same time, prevent the destruction of their families.

I don't know, maybe its because America's president communicates mostly by Twitter, but when I read the premise I imagined Helmholtz Watson trying to write like Shakespeare in the Brave New World.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on May 23, 2017, 01:18:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 23, 2017, 12:55:39 PM
From the wiki page:

I don't know, maybe its because America's president communicates mostly by Twitter, but when I read the premise I imagined Helmholtz Watson trying to write like Shakespeare in the Brave New World.

"Parting is such Tweet sorrow ..."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2017, 01:25:49 PM
"Parting is such Tweet sorrow ..."

Now see, tgat's the kind of joke that starts bar fights with strangers.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2017, 12:35:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 23, 2017, 10:13:36 AM
Still Star Crossed.

Didn't Romeo and Juliet both kill themselves in the play of the same name? Hard to see how their story can have a "sequel".  ;)

This Zombie craze is going too far :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.