News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Just root for the Empire, the good guys.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 18, 2017, 07:51:13 PM
Just root for the Empire, the good guys.

:D

Well they were the ones with the most posh Brit accents.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Probably late to the party, but anyone else watching the new MST3K on Netflix? New voices took some adjusting to, but the riffs are as good as always.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

I didn't like it at first, but had to settle into the first couple movies for it to gel.  I've warmed up to it.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 12, 2017, 12:59:30 PM
Lol, Neverending Story
That was THE movie to goof on back in the day

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on May 18, 2017, 12:29:10 PM
Holy crap, there's already a feature-length documentary about Macron and his French election win uploaded to Netflix. Back in the time within the profession we used to joke about "instant movies" (films that are rushed into production in order to exploit a real life event) but this probably takes the medal.

If that's the one I think it is, it was broadcasted on the biggest French TV channel just after results came in.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 12, 2017, 12:59:30 PM
Lol, Neverending Story
That was THE movie to goof on back in the day

Quite watchable today IMO, even for 30+ "children".  :P
The screening at the Cinémathèque had the children clapping at the end of the credits.
The animatronic and practical effects held well, most of the time.
Loud 5.1 remix, very frontal, for the soundtracks, don't remember how the original stereo sounded back then.

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on May 18, 2017, 07:45:32 PM
Also what was with the heavily telegraphed VietnamWar-like scenes?

As opposed to the heavily telegraphed Pacific War-like scenes in the OT? Nothing the saga hasn't done before.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on May 19, 2017, 06:31:13 AM

As opposed to the heavily telegraphed Pacific War-like scenes in the OT? Nothing the saga hasn't done before.

I don't think I've seen that film?

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on May 19, 2017, 07:18:45 AM

All the space scenes in the OT are taking old Pacific War films and setting them up in space. In ROTJ you even have a kamikaze scene.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on May 19, 2017, 07:38:00 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 19, 2017, 07:18:45 AM

All the space scenes in the OT are taking old Pacific War films and setting them up in space. In ROTJ you even have a kamikaze scene.

Thanks, no doubt true, but I've not seen either film all the way through, just scenes here and there.  :blush:

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 18, 2017, 11:06:26 AM
Ugh, those Klingons.  :yucky:

They should have gone with an anthology format.  I think it would have been fantastic with the ST universe, and they could then bounce around all over the timeline, and far more opportunities for different ships/crews/characters/stories.  Save the expense on a popular actor/cast clinging on for multiple seasons, while still being able to bring popular ones back on occasion as appropriate.

But Abrams' fucking with the universe blew that all to hell and gone anyway.

I thought they were going with an anthology format. Haven't been tracking it though so I guess they changed.
Those klingons are just bizzare
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

The Witch. Decent, but certainly overhyped. I mean, 90% of it it's atmosphere, but the story in itself is rather flat.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on May 19, 2017, 04:45:21 PM
The Witch. Decent, but certainly overhyped. I mean, 90% of it it's atmosphere, but the story in itself is rather flat.
An international co-production of the United States and Canada
but the story in itself is rather flat.

they kind of go together.  See How to plan an orgy in a small town as evidence.
Except Ginger Snaps 1,2,3, I don't think I've seen a good Canadian (outside of Quebec) movie in years.
Well, come to think of that, it's been years to for a Quebec movie too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Hey, at least you gave us Robin Sparkles.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?