News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Third Languish Sunday EU3 MP Game Thread

Started by Tamas, April 23, 2010, 08:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on April 26, 2010, 11:55:10 AM
After having played a few years of your Castile out, I think it's not nearly as difficult as you may think.  However, you need to take drastic measures to cute down your payments.  Specifically dismantling some of the regiments (cavalry, I recommend) and cutting the maintenance of your fleet down to 0.

Wouldn't that just be inviting rebels to overrun my provinces if I don't have armies to defeat them? I'm already reduced to hoping that no rebels pop up in Barcelona, since they get 12k infantry and 1k artillery there at Aragon's 14 land tech.

I played it a bit myself, just have to hope that the total war event series triggers and finishes fast enough (of course most events there just drop my stab back to -3). Funnily enough the Ottomans inherited the Mamluks and Ak Koyunlu very quickly in at least two playthroughs. I think we can safely conclude that the French-Ottoman alliance is not going to be taken down this game...

And of course if anyone has gold to spare to ensure some semblance of order on France's southern border, it would not be forgotten.

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on April 26, 2010, 12:12:18 PM
Wouldn't that just be inviting rebels to overrun my provinces if I don't have armies to defeat them? I'm already reduced to hoping that no rebels pop up in Barcelona, since they get 12k infantry and 1k artillery there at Aragon's 14 land tech.

Your RR is ~4% in most provinces and will only fall as you gain in Stability/Legitimacy.  If you keep an army of ~20 regiments, that should be more than enough to just swamp whatever rebels do spawn, artillery or no.  That and the Venetians have already made their offer to assist you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

As for the Franco-Ottoman alliance, I don't see that as undefeatable in the least.  It is while Spain's a cripple, sure, but a strong Spain combined with Italy, Britain and Austria could take them down.  Of course, this assumes that the French and Ottomans would even make common cause against that sort of coalition, or that the Ottomans would die for France and vice-versa--not something I'm gamble the house on.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on April 26, 2010, 12:08:03 PM
I can't give a loan, Venetian bankers didn't become rich by lending money to the likes of Solmyr.  However, I can continue providing rebel whacking help.

Who said the loan would not turn a profit?  I don't think anyone expects to loan money to Sol and not see a return on it.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on April 26, 2010, 12:17:17 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 26, 2010, 12:08:03 PM
I can't give a loan, Venetian bankers didn't become rich by lending money to the likes of Solmyr.  However, I can continue providing rebel whacking help.

Who said the loan would not turn a profit?  I don't think anyone expects to loan money to Sol and not see a return on it.
Venetian banks don't dabble in subprime loans (and they also don't have any cash to spare).

Alcibiades

And I can't give a loan to someone who has sworn to attack me at any given opportunity.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on April 26, 2010, 10:25:14 AM
You got yourself into whatever mess you did--live with it.  Castile is by no means unplayable at this point.

Didn't you guys say earlier that switching nations was ok?

Tamas

Quote from: ulmont on April 26, 2010, 12:26:35 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 26, 2010, 10:25:14 AM
You got yourself into whatever mess you did--live with it.  Castile is by no means unplayable at this point.

Didn't you guys say earlier that switching nations was ok?

Yeah but an AI big-ass Castille is not the same as some ruined reduced small backwater piece of crap.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on April 26, 2010, 01:46:55 PM
Aka Sweden

You said it :P

Oh, and sorry for spamming you with mil. access requests, I was so busy I forgot Sweden had a player :P

Anatron

Habbaku

You could have the Ottomans force-convert you.  :)

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

People! I am determined to -despite my injuries I have suffered in the recent wars- visit Istanbul for the weekend, to conduct high-level diplomacy with the Sultan.

As such, I will need a sub for the weekend. I would like to find one before Friday morning my time, so I can brief him properly.

DGuller

I may not be able to make it either, though not sure yet.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on April 27, 2010, 11:45:11 PM
I may not be able to make it either, though not sure yet.

I have dibs on ulmont!