News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Third Languish Sunday EU3 MP Game Thread

Started by Tamas, April 23, 2010, 08:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Figured its better to open a new one for this.

Here is the current list of players:

Habbaku - Brandenburg
Kleves - Ottoman Empire
Solmyr - Castile
DGuller - Venice
Alci - France
Tamas - Austria
Katmai - Sweden
sbr - England
Tamas' friend - Khorasan
Solmyr's Friend - Muscovy

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Habbaku

Of course, if your friend would rather play Portugal instead of Khorasan, I wouldn't complain.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2010, 10:24:14 AM
Of course, if your friend would rather play Portugal instead of Khorasan, I wouldn't complain.

Nah, I think he is rather happy with Khorasan. Of course, he can speak for himself once Neil reads my PM.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on April 23, 2010, 10:29:16 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2010, 10:24:14 AM

Nah, I think he is rather happy with Khorasan. Of course, he can speak for himself once Neil reads my PM.

Has he actually tried to post something? My friend registered later and by the time his name showed up as newest registered user he was approved.

sbr

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2010, 10:23:40 AM
No it isn't.

I agree.  I don't think Portugal adds that much to a game and I am curious how things work out with so many interests in C Europe and W Asia.

Habbaku

Quote from: sbr on April 23, 2010, 10:33:03 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2010, 10:23:40 AM
No it isn't.

I agree.  I don't think Portugal adds that much to a game and I am curious how things work out with so many interests in C Europe and W Asia.

I think they could add much, but it would require a very active player who wasn't afraid to step on some toes in the process rather than just quietly play the colonial game for what they could get.

Besides, if anyone is actually worried about leaving Spain to take Portugal, it's very simple to prevent it--guarantee Portugal's independence or ally with them.  The Eggplants rarely get into wars and forcing Spain to adhere to a guarantee of their independence will assure there's at least some colonial competition early on.

Aside from that...France, England, Venice and Sweden (if they go colonial), should also not be afraid to grab chunks of South America.  There is nothing in this game that says that all somehow magically "belongs" to Spain, the same as NA doesn't "belong" to France and Britain.  This, of course, goes along with my policy that people need to stop acting like they're all best-friends in the game.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

Possible house-rule solutions to the problem of alliances set in stone + too many world wars (though I don't think we'll need them, and they may be bad solutions even if we do):

1. Limit the number of provinces that can be taken in a player-player war. Start at 1, and go up by 1 every 50 years.
2. Limit the number of players that can be allied to eachother.
3. No cross-religion alliances.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

oh wait, have you guys actually played a 1453 game with an AI Portugal?  :lol:

The AI will colony-rush North America with them like it was nobody's business, in MP terms giving a LOT of free colonies to England or France in a matter of decade or two.

Tamas

Quote from: Kleves on April 23, 2010, 10:45:19 AM
Possible house-rule solutions to the problem of alliances set in stone + too many world wars (though I don't think we'll need them, and they may be bad solutions even if we do):

1. Limit the number of provinces that can be taken in a player-player war. Start at 1, and go up by 1 every 50 years.
2. Limit the number of players that can be allied to eachother.
3. No cross-religion alliances.

fuck no

Solmyr

Number 3 kinda limits the mooselimbs and leaves Russia in the lurch.

All that's really needed is people not being afraid to break alliances when it's in their interest. Think of this as a more complex game of Diplomacy.

Habbaku

Quote from: Kleves on April 23, 2010, 10:45:19 AM

I'm not opposed to house rules, in general, but yours are...odd.

Quote1. Limit the number of provinces that can be taken in a player-player war. Start at 1, and go up by 1 every 50 years.

Way too few.  The number should start at 2, at the minimum, and I'm not sure there even should be a limit.  I highly doubt we'll see all that many huge wars for the first 100 years anyway.  It also doesn't solve the issue of someone fighting for their cores--they shouldn't be limited in trying to wrest those from another player.

Quote2. Limit the number of players that can be allied to eachother.

This is the better idea, and one I'm not opposed to.  I think there should be a 3-power alliance limit (IE, France can be allied to the Ottomans and England, but not someone else on top of that).

Quote3. No cross-religion alliances.

Only affects you, Muscovy and Khorasan at the outset and also flies in the face of history for when the Protestant Reformation starts up.  Protestants allied with Catholics and so on at multiple points.

-J. R. R. Tolkien