News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect 2

Started by Slargos, January 01, 2010, 04:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Apparently the mouse controls are fucked up in this due to console style pointer acceleration.  Dead Space had that crap and I couldn't play it.  Ugh.

Valmy

The controls do take a bit to get used to.  I thought they were trying to simulate the feel of the weird touch computer things the characters in Mass Effect use  ;)

I hate how the 'E' key is now replaced by 'spacebar' and quick save is not 'F5' instead of 'F6'.  I do not see the point of those changes except to annoy me  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 26, 2010, 07:35:53 PM
Fuck that!  I can't play, it keeps saying "Release date check failed".  The fucking pirates are playing it and I can't??

I know that drove me nuts.  It seems the official release date for me was the 26th at noon.  Sort of wish they had mentioned that earlier.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on January 26, 2010, 05:24:36 PM
All of which got PC release.  The difference is now there are real discussions about exiting the PC market.

Yes they got released on PC eventually.  But my understanding was at the time that they had intended to exit the PC market and changed their minds.  It was understood that Mass Effect was going to be console exclusive.  Likewise when they made KOTOR I followed developement pretty closely and if I had thought they were going to be releasing it on PC five months later like they did I never would have bought an X-Box.

If they go back to console only good for them I guess.  I wont be suckered into buying inferior console products again though, good money down the drain and now consoles are far more expensive than they were then.

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on January 27, 2010, 05:40:45 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 27, 2010, 12:18:54 AM
had to use a VPN software to bypass the activation date check wich would not let me play.  I wasn't the only one like this, and there's a lot of angry people.

Valmy has already declared that people have no right to be upset about poor customer service, so you must be lying.  :(

You can be upset all you want, but having release dates for products is not poor customer service unless you think every company in the world that releases products at a date is bad at customer service.  Rather it is the whine of petulent children who demand everything now QQ

Besides me thinking something is not justified is not the same as saying you have the "right" to do something...unless having the "right" to do something means nobody will say anything mean about it.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2010, 09:12:58 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 26, 2010, 05:24:36 PM
All of which got PC release.  The difference is now there are real discussions about exiting the PC market.
Yes they got released on PC eventually.  But my understanding was at the time that they had intended to exit the PC market and changed their minds.  It was understood that Mass Effect was going to be console exclusive.  Likewise when they made KOTOR I followed developement pretty closely and if I had thought they were going to be releasing it on PC five months later like they did I never would have bought an X-Box.

If they go back to console only good for them I guess.  I wont be suckered into buying inferior console products again though, good money down the drain and now consoles are far more expensive than they were then.
It's important to remember that the company is in a very different place now than it was when it released Mass 1 or KOTOR.  Bioware spent a long time cuddling up to Microsoft, and was encouraged to maintain PC releases by and through that relationship.  It's important to remember that KOTOR's release was a very big deal for XBox at a time when the Playstation franchise looked invincible.  EA is an entirely different animal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on January 27, 2010, 10:59:12 AM
It's important to remember that the company is in a very different place now than it was when it released Mass 1 or KOTOR.  Bioware spent a long time cuddling up to Microsoft, and was encouraged to maintain PC releases by and through that relationship.  It's important to remember that KOTOR's release was a very big deal for XBox at a time when the Playstation franchise looked invincible.  EA is an entirely different animal.

Well if it happens it happens.  There is nothing I can do about it but buy their PC releases when they happen.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2010, 11:00:47 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 27, 2010, 10:59:12 AM
Well if it happens it happens.  There is nothing I can do about it but buy their PC releases when they happen.
True.

These days, I find myself playing more and more new games on consoles these days.  Obviously, games that are completely unsuited for consoles (Civilization-types, some types of RPG) are not included in that, but more and more I find that my PC gaming is focused on the past, where I play stuff I enjoyed years ago.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2010, 09:07:43 AM
Fuck that!  I can't play, it keeps saying "Release date check failed".  The fucking pirates are playing it and I can't??

I know that drove me nuts.  It seems the official release date for me was the 26th at noon.  Sort of wish they had mentioned that earlier.

Well...not sure where you dl'd it, but both D2D and Steam showed on their sites through little widgets that the games unlocked around 9am for me (noon for you)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2010, 07:27:16 AM
The issue isn't "what market is more profitable" but rather "do we make a profit serving the PC market?"  Companies want to make profit, period.  If they can make $60 profit selling to A, or $61 selling to A and B, they will sell to A and B even though selling to A is more profitable.
But seeling to A&B may cause excessive risks.  The profits are not a certainty, they are expected profits. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

It's clearly a bug.  Many people still can't play their game.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on January 27, 2010, 12:56:13 PM
Well...not sure where you dl'd it, but both D2D and Steam showed on their sites through little widgets that the games unlocked around 9am for me (noon for you)

Oh it did...I was confused though because it said release was at 12:00 and with all the midnight release madness I just presumed that meant 12:00 AM...but it was 12:00 PM.  It killed my Bioware Boner to be all ready to start the new game and then realize I had to wait until I got home from work the next day :P

But it was no big deal but a little annoying.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 27, 2010, 01:42:43 PM
It's clearly a bug.  Many people still can't play their game.

Nah I was able to play when I got home yesterday.  It might be because they are not in NA and their release date is the 29th...or it could be be a bug.  Who did you get it from?  I get mine directly from EA and despite being an evil corporation their customer service is surprisingly responsive.  I had very good experience getting resolution for my problems with the Dragon Age download.

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2010, 01:44:30 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 27, 2010, 12:56:13 PM

Oh it did...I was confused though because it said release was at 12:00 and with all the midnight release madness I just presumed that meant 12:00 AM...but it was 12:00 PM.  It killed my Bioware Boner to be all ready to start the new game and then realize I had to wait until I got home from work the next day :P

But it was no big deal but a little annoying.

Yeah when i saw those It sealed the deal with me,  which is why i bought it on 360 instead.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Crazy_Ivan80

29th here it seems. You'd think they can do synched released with digital versions.