News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect 2

Started by Slargos, January 01, 2010, 04:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Viper is correct that you can't run around as femshep and fuck your female team members, but you can fuck your bi-curious female secretary.

Bioware caved into the Walmart-ReligiousRight-JoeLieberman axis of evil and limited the number of extrasexual encounters.  :yuk:

Neil

Quote from: Syt on January 29, 2010, 12:43:20 PM
Have played the tutorial and into of ME2. I like the story so far, but it appears the combat is "a bit" simplified? For that matter, where's my inventory? And why do I have to carry/collect ammo all of a sudden? I guess I'll get used to it. I sucked at ME1 combat at first, too.

I like the two hacking minigames so far. Better than the one in ME1 (PC or XBox).
Ammo was a funny situation.  It was mandated from the beginning, in order to give the player something to do other than just wandering around holding down the trigger.  But the guy whose job it is to come up with reasonable-sounding in-universe technical explanations was really annoyed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on January 29, 2010, 05:36:05 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 29, 2010, 12:43:20 PM
Have played the tutorial and into of ME2. I like the story so far, but it appears the combat is "a bit" simplified? For that matter, where's my inventory? And why do I have to carry/collect ammo all of a sudden? I guess I'll get used to it. I sucked at ME1 combat at first, too.

I like the two hacking minigames so far. Better than the one in ME1 (PC or XBox).
Ammo was a funny situation.  It was mandated from the beginning, in order to give the player something to do other than just wandering around holding down the trigger.  But the guy whose job it is to come up with reasonable-sounding in-universe technical explanations was really annoyed.

They call it a "heat clip" now that prevents overheating? :bleeding:

I'm still unclear why this was added unless there'll be situations later where ammo becomes really scarce. Not overheating your gun in critical situations served the same purpose in ME1, so I'm not sure why this was removed (some of the cooling buff add ons you could pick up later were imba, though).

Also, why no inventory anymore? I like picking up equipment in games.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Inventory in ME1 was an annoyance only. Good it was removed.

Sped through the game on easy, did some of the loyalty quests but not all of them. Liked the finale.

Great game, sometime later will do it more throughoutly on Normal.

Liked how the various moral choices made me reconsider my firmly Renegade stance from ME1. The whole Cerberus angle made it a bit too hardcore for my taste.

I am awaiting ME3, and they really should expand the franchise with perhaps a space trading game. And a movie.

Scipio

Beat it as paragon.  Nice that you can keep playing after the main quest is over.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

katmai

Quote from: Scipio on January 30, 2010, 09:58:45 PM
Beat it as paragon.  Nice that you can keep playing after the main quest is over.

Yep.

Yeah trying Renegade version now.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Slargos

I don't see why anyone would want to play Paragon. The Renegade options are usually hilarious. I haven't laughed this hard at a game in years, I think.  :lol:

Scipio

Gotta finish my renegade ME1 first.  Sigh.  I just can't enjoy it as much.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 29, 2010, 11:20:17 AM
They could pirate the console version or go to Blockbuster and rent the console version.  I'm not sure why they'd buy.
Piracy rates among the console versions are much lower than for the PC versions, even while console versions outsell PC versions.  If the concern is that PC piracy is hurting console sales, then delaying the PC version would make sense.

Sure, it will hurt PC sales, somewhat, but it seems a smarter tradeoff than simply not producing the PC version (unless the PC version simply costs more than the PC sales would recoup).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DisturbedPervert

Console versions do outsell the PC version, but I don't for a minute believe piracy is less.  According to sites like Torrentfreak downloads of the 360 version is about 1/4 to 1/3 that of the PC version.  However, in Asia, Eastern Europe, and Latin America console piracy is done by primarily by purchasing copied dvds rather than by downloading from bittorrent.  You buy the pirated games from the same person that sells you the console, which comes already modded and ready for piracy.  Pirating on a console is actually far easier than on a PC as you just put the disk in, while PC piracy requires technical knowledge to get it working. Millions of copies of console games are pirated in this manner, but only register as a handful of torrent downloads.

However if delaying the PC version a month or two makes developers feel better and they keep on making games for the PC I'm fine with it. 

Neil

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 31, 2010, 10:52:19 PM
Console versions do outsell the PC version, but I don't for a minute believe piracy is less.  According to sites like Torrentfreak downloads of the 360 version is about 1/4 to 1/3 that of the PC version.  However, in Asia, Eastern Europe, and Latin America console piracy is done by primarily by purchasing copied dvds rather than by downloading from bittorrent.  You buy the pirated games from the same person that sells you the console, which comes already modded and ready for piracy.  Pirating on a console is actually far easier than on a PC as you just put the disk in, while PC piracy requires technical knowledge to get it working. Millions of copies of console games are pirated in this manner, but only register as a handful of torrent downloads.

However if delaying the PC version a month or two makes developers feel better and they keep on making games for the PC I'm fine with it.
None of those places really matter in terms of the game industry though.  There's a reason that virtually all game development is done in the Anglosphere and Japan.  The goal is to sell copies in the First World, and that's where the real money is made.  There's a reason that games don't get localized into languages beyond French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish and Russian.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DisturbedPervert

They may not matter, but when you are looking at PC piracy figures based on torrent downloads, all the downloads from those places are counted, and there are a huge number of them.  It's not like if a PC game has a million torrent downloads they are all from the USA, huge numbers are going to be from China, Russia, and other markets that supposedly don't matter.  Everyone in the world uses piratebay.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 31, 2010, 04:53:50 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 29, 2010, 11:20:17 AM
They could pirate the console version or go to Blockbuster and rent the console version.  I'm not sure why they'd buy.
Piracy rates among the console versions are much lower than for the PC versions, even while console versions outsell PC versions.  If the concern is that PC piracy is hurting console sales, then delaying the PC version would make sense.

Sure, it will hurt PC sales, somewhat, but it seems a smarter tradeoff than simply not producing the PC version (unless the PC version simply costs more than the PC sales would recoup).

This is the opinion of the industry.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

I have to say, I'm not impressed. The plot seems pretty awful, and I'm fairly far in.

Scipio

Quote from: Faeelin on February 03, 2010, 06:21:31 PM
I have to say, I'm not impressed. The plot seems pretty awful, and I'm fairly far in.
It's not a novel.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt