News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect 2

Started by Slargos, January 01, 2010, 04:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

I have to confess, I'm getting a bit bored of replaying DAO - but I'm also leery of ME2 since I have no interest in a shooter game.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

DP, It's still a top 10 title.  The fact it's #9, not #1 or #2 doesn't take away from the fact most sales will be driven by ads, game magazines, in-store displays, etc, rather than "buzz".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Fuck that!  I can't play, it keeps saying "Release date check failed".  The fucking pirates are playing it and I can't??
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2010, 05:50:32 PM
I've seen horrible, scathing things about DA:O which by all reasoned accounts is a wonderful game.
You have to stop reading Grumbler  :rolleyes:
:D

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Slargos

Quote from: viper37 on January 26, 2010, 07:35:53 PM
Fuck that!  I can't play, it keeps saying "Release date check failed".  The fucking pirates are playing it and I can't??

If it's any consolation, the mass effect torrent is agonizingly slow, and if it continues like this I will be forced to buy it.

Only AFTER you've confirmed that it's actually playable, however.  :P

Slargos

Btw. Can I play this game without having Mass Effect 1 installed, or in other words: is this a stand alone expansion?  :hmm:

viper37

Yes you can play without ME1 installed.

However, you can import your saved games from ME1, and it will give you some bonus stuff (money, minerals to upgrade the ship, xp points) as well as continue the story (sort of).

I Killed Kenny

Did anyone with a ME1 save game played?

Spoilers for people that didn't have a me1 save game:

I'm rather sad that Wrex is dead and I didn't save the council

viper37

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on January 26, 2010, 09:00:52 PM
Did anyone with a ME1 save game played?

Spoilers for people that didn't have a me1 save game:

I'm rather sad that Wrex is dead and I didn't save the council

You could still replay a quick game, doing only the main quests.

viper37

had to use a VPN software to bypass the activation date check wich would not let me play.  I wasn't the only one like this, and there's a lot of angry people.

Anyway, I'm playing, and I like it.

Slargos, the game is officially released on the 29th in Europe, so if you buy it now, you'll need to use the VPN to launch the game the first time.

Slargos

Quote from: viper37 on January 27, 2010, 12:18:54 AM
had to use a VPN software to bypass the activation date check wich would not let me play.  I wasn't the only one like this, and there's a lot of angry people.

Valmy has already declared that people have no right to be upset about poor customer service, so you must be lying.  :(

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 26, 2010, 03:52:07 PM
I think console games are already more profitable.

All consoles combined, they are a bigger market than us.
They pay 10$ more per game than for the PC.
It's more difficult to pirate the game, hence less pirates.
We're old timers clinging to a past era.  These kids in the video game studios already sees us as dinosaurs  :cry: :(
The issue isn't "what market is more profitable" but rather "do we make a profit serving the PC market?"  Companies want to make profit, period.  If they can make $60 profit selling to A, or $61 selling to A and B, they will sell to A and B even though selling to A is more profitable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on January 26, 2010, 05:29:32 PM
The question is:  To what extent does the aside of PC gaming damage the core business, which is console gaming?  When you're talking about piracy, that's difficult to quantify.  Given the costs related to porting the game to PC, I don't think it's quite so clearcut as you seem to suggest.
I see the point now, and will have to think a bit more about it before responding.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 26, 2010, 07:43:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2010, 05:50:32 PM
I've seen horrible, scathing things about DA:O which by all reasoned accounts is a wonderful game.
You have to stop reading Grumbler  :rolleyes:
:D
:blurgh:

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2010, 07:32:24 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 26, 2010, 05:29:32 PM
The question is:  To what extent does the aside of PC gaming damage the core business, which is console gaming?  When you're talking about piracy, that's difficult to quantify.  Given the costs related to porting the game to PC, I don't think it's quite so clearcut as you seem to suggest.
I see the point now, and will have to think a bit more about it before responding.

I found this looking up on the subject.  http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html  It seems to be aimed at those points.  I'm curious what you think of it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017