And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect 2

Started by Slargos, January 01, 2010, 04:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

:lol:

You people amuse me.

The music industry have been whining about the same damn thing yet they've been seeing growth in other areas than CD sales.

Face it, people will spend their money somewhere, and the companies will simply have to adapt.

Besides, your notion that pirating console games is difficult is just wrong.  :D

What I expect MIGHT be the long term effect of piracy is that games without a compelling multiplayer component will suffer, since MP games are the only ones that can reliably be protected.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Fate on January 26, 2010, 02:17:48 AM
You also can't easily pirate on consoles. Imagine all the cash you would save on shitty, over-hyped $60.00 games that have ~48 hours of play time.

Like Mass Effect 2!

You can very easily pirate on the 360 and Wii.  Torrent downloads on those consoles are not as bad as PC but they are getting very big.

And rentals and used games on consoles are huge and just as bad.  No one would bother torrenting if Gamefly sent out PC games like they do with consoles, or if you could pop in to Blockbuster and play the latest release for for a few bucks.  Console players already get to play any game they want virtually for free.

So far the only pirate safe console is the PS3, although that was finally hacked.  I wonder how many people are going to be willing to download blu rays though.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Razgovory on January 26, 2010, 12:18:09 AM

I'm pretty sure you are right which is why PC gaming has seen such a sharp decline this last decade.

Here's an amazing list of PC exclusives for 2010.  I think it the PC will be ok

http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2010/

Slargos

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 26, 2010, 04:24:33 AM

I'm pretty sure you are right which is why PC gaming has seen such a sharp decline this last decade.

I noticed a news snippet about someone trying to implement a special "sarcasm" character. I guess Raz could use one.  :P

DisturbedPervert

I know, but I wanted to post that link anyway   :lol:

Slargos

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 26, 2010, 04:33:01 AM
I know, but I wanted to post that link anyway   :lol:

It's an awesome list.

I got bored scrolling through half, it's so fucking huge.

Looks like a few interesting titles in there though.

Tamas

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 26, 2010, 04:24:33 AM

some  pretty interesting stuff on that list!

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2010, 11:06:26 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 25, 2010, 10:05:30 PM
Over the long term, sure.  The pawnshops like GameStop and whatnot take their cut.  But over the short and medium terms, consoles deliver a much better return.

I am sure they will continue to make games on multi-platforms.
Indeed.  XBox and Playstation.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2010, 05:46:02 PM
You pirates disgust me. <_<

Corporate bandits disgusts me even more.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on January 26, 2010, 06:52:54 AM

Suuuure they will.  They even released Dragon Age on Mac for godsake.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 26, 2010, 03:21:15 AM
Marty made a similar argument about this.  10 years ago PC games had a much larger part of the market share.  I'm not sure there is more PC gamers now then there was 10 years ago.

Yes.  The market share is smaller but the number of PC gamers is growing.  In any case if Bioware stops making PC games that is cool I will find somebody who will.

To say something growing at a large rate is in sharp decline is absurd just because consoles are growing even faster.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on January 26, 2010, 09:03:03 AM
Corporate bandits disgusts me even more.  <_<

I will side with the Pirates when they start making better games than the Corps.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2010, 10:09:41 AM

And got a smallish return on the investment.  Is it really worth the effort of fiddling with the game so it will work on a PC, when the end result is more piracy than actual legitimate users?

That's the discussion that's going on right now.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

Quote from: Neil on January 26, 2010, 11:05:56 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2010, 10:09:41 AM

And got a smallish return on the investment.  Is it really worth the effort of fiddling with the game so it will work on a PC, when the end result is more piracy than actual legitimate users?

That's the discussion that's going on right now.

Define smallish.