News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

British Freedom of Speech withered, dying

Started by Slargos, December 01, 2009, 07:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on December 01, 2009, 08:33:40 AM
QuoteA pair of Christian hoteliers who argued with a Muslim guest have been charged with a "religiously aggravated" public order offence.

This is what some were refering to in the minarets thread when they were talking about religion creeping back in the public sphere.  And this is something that's been growing since the increase in mass immigration from the poorer parts of the planet.  The problem is not a muslim bitch screaming abuse (don't they always, for anything and everything?) - but overzealous officials scrambling to avoid offending minorities...

Tcha!  <_<
Exactly.  Whiny, victim mentality is a fact of life for everyone these days.  The problem is that the authorities have embraced moral cowardice.

You know, I'm going to miss liberalism and the enlightenment when they're gone, but they seem to be evolving to a point where they can no longer defend themselves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 09:38:12 AM
It would be the same if it was a Jewish person who walked in and the couple started to heckle over the question of why the Jews killed Jesus. If that was the case, I imagine there would be more compassion.
I rather doubt it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on December 01, 2009, 09:40:45 AM
QuoteA pair of Christian hoteliers who argued with a Muslim guest have been charged with a "religiously aggravated" public order offence.

This is what some were refering to in the minarets thread when they were talking about religion creeping back in the public sphere.  And this is something that's been growing since the increase in mass immigration from the poorer parts of the planet.  The problem is not a muslim bitch screaming abuse (don't they always, for anything and everything?) - but overzealous officials scrambling to avoid offending minorities...

Tcha!  <_<
Exactly.  Whiny, victim mentality is a fact of life for everyone these days.  The problem is that the authorities have embraced moral cowardice.

You know, I'm going to miss liberalism and the enlightenment when they're gone, but they seem to be evolving to a point where they can no longer defend themselves.

Seeing how liberalism/enlightenment is the only system that has not only survived the last two hundred years, but has thrived and defeated all other systems that attempted to challenge it (nazism, communism, absolutism etc.), I think your prophecies of its demise are grossly premature.

Sahib

Quote from: Grallon on December 01, 2009, 09:07:04 AM
As I said above - the officials should have dismissed this as frivolous - a private quarrel between citizens since from what we know it was a divergence of opinion on religion.  Nothing that should concern the State or its representatives.  At least that's what should be happening in a lay society, unless violence is used - in which case criminal law is invoked.

And unless there's more that hasn't been published, this looks like a typical case of triumphant multi-culturalism: punish members of the majority whenever some shrill representative of a visible minority makes a complaint.

IIRC (from other forum when this discussed) there was state money involved, as people they were housing were some sort of convalescent. From that point of view, I would say it was the Christian couple that were "shrill" in this case.
Should police be involved? Well, on principle, I would say no. But I'm also opposing the tabloidesque spin this story was given and your genocidal ideas.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Jaron

Quote from: Neil on December 01, 2009, 09:44:47 AM
Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 09:38:12 AM
It would be the same if it was a Jewish person who walked in and the couple started to heckle over the question of why the Jews killed Jesus. If that was the case, I imagine there would be more compassion.
I rather doubt it.

Oh please. Whenever Jews are accosted, everyone on this forum comes running with open arms like a worried soccer mom.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on December 01, 2009, 08:30:16 AM
Question:  Has the UK ever had freedom of speech to the extent that it is guaranteed by law in the US?  I don't automatically assume all of the Western democracies do.... I mean look at Germany with the whole Nazi situation.

The thing with Germany isn't for their benefit it's for ours!  It was either that or we just killed them all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2009, 10:02:22 AM
The thing with Germany isn't for their benefit it's for ours!  It was either that or we just killed them all.
:huh: Where did I say it was for anyone's benefit?  It was just a statement of fact on my part.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

The problem is not a muslim bitch screaming abuse but overzealous officials scrambling to avoid offending minorities...

Indeed. We really shouldn't blame the Muslims for Britain having shitty laws.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 01, 2009, 11:02:51 AM
I'm afraid I couldn't possibly comment  :zipped:
:o

Everyone to the back room in five minutes!

Valmy

Maybe this is the tyranny of the British Monarchy we fought against in the Revolution.  The thought police of Elizabeth II are everywhere.

If only you could bear arms you could take care of this problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Faeelin

Sounds ridiculous, but I need more info about the statute and facts to give an opinion.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Faeelin on December 01, 2009, 11:24:54 AM
Sounds ridiculous, but I need more info about the statute and facts to give an opinion.

That isn't the Languish/internet way.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive