And we're back!

Main Menu

British Freedom of Speech withered, dying

Started by Slargos, December 01, 2009, 07:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on December 03, 2009, 03:04:43 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 03, 2009, 07:15:48 AMAs an aside, the melting pot was once much more of an idea about change.  My maternal grandparents both came to the US speaking not a word of English, and yet the only Finnish words my mother learned were swear words.  My maternal grandparents decided that, as they were now Americans, they would speak only English, even to one another.  They still ate Finnish dishes and celebrated Finnish holidays, though.

Well that seems to fit exactly the change I'm talking about with earlier uses of the "melting pot" being about change, whereas now it is less so.  Some people have coined a different term for it, be it "multiculturalism" (in Canada, and some parts of the US?), "the sald bowl" (academia) but it seems we agree that that the expectations of how new immigrants integrate has changed from your parents' generation to what is happening now, whether we still refer to the integration process as a "melting pot" or not.

I don't speak Spanish. I don't celebrate any Puerto Rican holidays. Most of my cousins similarly speak very little Spanish or none. The expectations haven't changed in America for new immigrants.

Sure, if you live in an urban neighborhood surrounded by immigrants from the old country you can hang on to the language for another generation but that's about it and it's always been like that. The only real exception were the German communities of the 19th century.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

It doesn't matter Tim. We could put on whiteface and speak with British accents. They'll never accept us as Americans until we can dilute our bloodlines down so that non white blood is at untracable levels.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on December 04, 2009, 12:38:46 AM
It doesn't matter Tim. We could put on whiteface and speak with British accents. They'll never accept us as Americans until we can dilute our bloodlines down so that non white blood is at untracable levels.

Sir your self pity and rage shows that you are indeed a true American.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2009, 01:34:05 AM

Or a member of La Raza.  ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: citizen k on December 04, 2009, 02:21:00 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2009, 01:34:05 AM

Or a member of La Raza.  ;)

La Raza is Spanish for " The Razgovory"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

This really does sound like Fawlty Towers:
QuoteMr Vogelenzang admitted that his wife may have referred to the hijab as a form of bondage, but said he only listed historical figures such as Hitler, Nero and Mao to make light of the situation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 01:58:50 PM
QuoteMr Vogelenzang admitted that his wife may have referred to the hijab as a form of bondage, but said he only listed historical figures such as Hitler, Nero and Mao to make light of the situation.

Naturally, in any tense situation comparing those you disagree with to Hitler, Nero and Mao will lighten the mood :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

Breakfast in a large B&B can be a pretty tense situation............all those respectable British people who don't really know how to converse, talking about Hitler is always a good icebreaker  :)

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 01:58:50 PM
:lol:

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 09, 2009, 05:40:43 PM
Breakfast in a large B&B can be a pretty tense situation............all those respectable British people who don't really know how to converse, talking about Hitler is always a good icebreaker  :)
Roll the Fawlty Towers vid.  ;)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!