News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

British Freedom of Speech withered, dying

Started by Slargos, December 01, 2009, 07:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on December 01, 2009, 08:14:12 AM
What the fuck is a "'religiously aggravated' public order offence"?
Calling a Muslim a wog, I would imagine.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

Mohammed was a drunk that couldn't handle it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

So is the muslim also under charges for (allegedly) calling Jesus just some minor prophet of Islam? Because you know, he offendiered them Christians.

Warspite

I'm impressed we can conclude that "British freedom of speech is dying" from one paragraph.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Caliga

Question:  Has the UK ever had freedom of speech to the extent that it is guaranteed by law in the US?  I don't automatically assume all of the Western democracies do.... I mean look at Germany with the whole Nazi situation.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grallon

QuoteA pair of Christian hoteliers who argued with a Muslim guest have been charged with a "religiously aggravated" public order offence.

This is what some were refering to in the minarets thread when they were talking about religion creeping back in the public sphere.  And this is something that's been growing since the increase in mass immigration from the poorer parts of the planet.  The problem is not a muslim bitch screaming abuse (don't they always, for anything and everything?) - but overzealous officials scrambling to avoid offending minorities...

Tcha!  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Sahib

Quote from: Grallon on December 01, 2009, 08:33:40 AM
This is what some were refering to in the minarets thread when they were talking about religion creeping back in the public sphere

Sensationalized anti-muslim bullshit?
Are the hotel owners supposed to lecture their quests on their religions? 
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Camerus

:rolleyes:

Is it bad business?  Yes.

Does it warrant having to appear before the police? Of course not.

I still suspect something must be missing from this story.

Valmy

Surely there is more to the story than that...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on December 01, 2009, 08:30:16 AM
Question:  Has the UK ever had freedom of speech to the extent that it is guaranteed by law in the US?  I don't automatically assume all of the Western democracies do.... I mean look at Germany with the whole Nazi situation.

No they don't, and it is rather severely limited. It used to have blasphemy laws on the books for a long time and now has anti-offense laws that are very similar but applied to a broader category of cases (notably, not just Christianity but also other religions and I think also nationality or sexual orientation - but not sure about the latter).

They also have a much more broader defamation coverage - we even had a thread some time ago about problems with recognition of the UK anti-defamation judgements in the US, since the systems are so different.

Grallon

Quote from: Sahib on December 01, 2009, 08:38:46 AM

Sensationalized anti-muslim bullshit?
Are the hotel owners supposed to lecture their quests on their religions?

As I said above - the officials should have dismissed this as frivolous - a private quarrel between citizens since from what we know it was a divergence of opinion on religion.  Nothing that should concern the State or its representatives.  At least that's what should be happening in a lay society, unless violence is used - in which case criminal law is invoked.

And unless there's more that hasn't been published, this looks like a typical case of triumphant multi-culturalism: punish members of the majority whenever some shrill representative of a visible minority makes a complaint.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

That's the image I had when I first read this thread, but then I got distracted by the ideological issues.  :blush:

Jaron

Reactions to Muslims on this forum remind me of the stories I read about anti-semitism in Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries.

There is clearly something missing here. Unless we are to believe that no one debates the role of Jesus in religion anywhere in GB, this is an isolated case. It is possible that this couple saw she was a Muslim and decided to hassle her over her religion.

It would be the same if it was a Jewish person who walked in and the couple started to heckle over the question of why the Jews killed Jesus. If that was the case, I imagine there would be more compassion.

Those damn Jews. With their synagogues, and traditions. Why do they refuse to assimilate?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 09:38:12 AM
Reactions to Muslims on this forum remind me of the stories I read about anti-semitism in Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries.

There is clearly something missing here. Unless we are to believe that no one debates the role of Jesus in religion anywhere in GB, this is an isolated case. It is possible that this couple saw she was a Muslim and decided to hassle her over her religion.

It would be the same if it was a Jewish person who walked in and the couple started to heckle over the question of why the Jews killed Jesus. If that was the case, I imagine there would be more compassion.

Those damn Jews. With their synagogues, and traditions. Why do they refuse to assimilate?

I am not sure if you are trolling or not, but yeah, this is my concern as well, which has started recently to temper my negative feelings towards Islam and its sexism, homophobia etc. I must say I don't know personally any Muslims.