News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Syt, March 29, 2009, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I started a new game on Very hard.  The game is still very fun.  I still feel there is alot of unrealized potential in the game but it's still great fun.  Haven't gotten to any of DLC stuff yet.  Just trying to get my level up a bit first.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on May 16, 2009, 08:15:13 AM
Finally finished the base game (and got what I guess is the cheesy good ending). A bit anticlimactic at the end.

I'll go and replay at some point, because most of the north is still unexplored for me. In fact, I never even met any Deathclaws. :unsure: On the other hand, I didn't have the feeling that I was rushing through th game much.

What level were you when you finished the game?  If you go with Broken Steel & get above level 20, Deathclaws are all over the damned place.

I had a freak encounter with one when I was only level 6 or 7 when I was on my way to the Super-Duper Mart.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2009, 09:59:57 PM
Finally finished the base game (and got what I guess is the cheesy good ending). A bit anticlimactic at the end.

I'll go and replay at some point, because most of the north is still unexplored for me. In fact, I never even met any Deathclaws. :unsure: On the other hand, I didn't have the feeling that I was rushing through th game much.

What level were you when you finished the game?  If you go with Broken Steel & get above level 20, Deathclaws are all over the damned place.

I had a freak encounter with one when I was only level 6 or 7 when I was on my way to the Super-Duper Mart.

I had an encounter with a Giant Rad Scorpian at 6th level at the super duper mart.  Oddly it wasn't hostile.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2009, 09:59:57 PM

I had dinged 18 when I hyperspaced from Raven Rock to Citadel.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2009, 01:55:34 AM

There should be more of them throughout the map after the Enclave troops become hostile (particularly if you are playing Broken Steel).  If you *want* to encounter them, head up to Old Olney ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Cerr

Quote from: derspiess on May 18, 2009, 11:17:20 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2009, 01:55:34 AM

If you *want* to encounter them, head up to Old Olney ;)
:lol:
I wandered up there when I was at about level 6 IIRC. I hadn't encountered any enemies for a while and then my first Deathclaw appeared out of nowhere and quickly killed me. After reloading a few times I manged to survive it but I had dogmeat (who had recently joined me) at the time and it kept getting killed. Eventually I killed it without losing the dog. Haven't really used dogmeat since then.

Queequeg

How is the modding community doing?  Anyone un-rape it yet? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on May 19, 2009, 12:53:11 AM
How is the modding community doing?  Anyone un-rape it yet?

Have you not played it yet?  I'm a fan of Fallout 1, and I'm going to tell you this.  Fallout 3 is a fun game.  You would do yourself a disservice not to play it.

Berkut

Can any of you recommend a good overhaul mod?

Looking to start up the game again, would like something that makes things a little harder once you reach the teen levels, and any other good changes - but not reallly anything that is going to fundamentally change the game.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2009, 01:28:24 AM

Looking to start up the game again, would like something that makes things a little harder once you reach the teen levels, and any other good changes - but not reallly anything that is going to fundamentally change the game.

You can set it to "hard".

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2009, 09:07:49 AM

Which doesn't solve the problem. I know this because I played it on hard before.

That just makes the early game more difficult, and the late game is still trivial.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2009, 09:09:59 AM

Which doesn't solve the problem. I know this because I played it on hard before.

That just makes the early game more difficult, and the late game is still trivial.

Well there is also "Very Hard".

derspiess

Well, you could just switch to crappier weapons when it seems to get easier.

The plasma rifle (or alien pistol) makes things too damned easy later on, espec. when you have the perk that restores all your action points any time you kill someone in VATS.  I still enjoyed it even if it was easy :blush:

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2009, 09:09:59 AM

You could change it to "very hard" at level 10, for instance.

I am using http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2761 Fallout Wanderer's Edition, but in a purely roleplaying game (I use http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1784 and start as a Regulatr, and my game is just to kill Raiders and Slavers - I don't loot anything in the wildnerness or buildings except drugs, books, cash, caps, and weapons/ammo - except that I can take everything from a raider/slaver or raider/slaver hangout).  I use the http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=772Disguises mod to allow me to avoid encounters with non-finger-bearing types (Supermutants have to simply be avoided) and to get close enough to Raiders to have a chance of killing them before being killed.  I also use stimpacks ony for limb regen.  No healing, except with bloodpacks, food, and water (or rest).

FWE does make things more difficult, even at higher levels, because even at higher levels you can be killed in 3 shots - sometimes 2, if they are critical.  Deathclaws are aptly named.

I also play with the passive critters mod, so I don't spend the game fending off molerats and the like.

It is an almost purely combat game, but that works once you have done the quests a couple of times.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!