News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Syt, March 29, 2009, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on June 05, 2009, 06:23:29 AM
Having fewer people was necessary because characters are much more complicated in FO3.  That doesn't bother me so much.

Graphics wise or plotwise? Because the characters all seemed pretty black and white to me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on June 05, 2009, 04:19:33 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 05, 2009, 06:23:29 AM
Having fewer people was necessary because characters are much more complicated in FO3.  That doesn't bother me so much.

Graphics wise or plotwise? Because the characters all seemed pretty black and white to me.

This one confused me as well.  Especially when compared to Oblivion where the technology was pretty much the same and they had a ton more characters.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Dialogue, scripting, graphics, animation, etc.

I would say that the characters are at least as rounded as in the earlier games in the series.  99% of the characters you encountered in the original game had no dialogue at all.  In FO3 it is maybe 30%.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 05, 2009, 05:12:54 PM
Dialogue, scripting, graphics, animation, etc.

I would say that the characters are at least as rounded as in the earlier games in the series.  99% of the characters you encountered in the original game had no dialogue at all.  In FO3 it is maybe 30%.

I do not think that is true.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

The Pitt is much better then Achorage.  I'm playing through it a second time to fighting for the other side.  The morality is not Black and White which makes it much more intriguing.  Odd since I thought I would like the first DLC better.  Also has raiders who you can talk to (instead of normal raiders who just shoot at you and clog the wasteland with their corpses).

I Killed Kenny

So, what was your first choice?

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2009, 03:38:54 AM
(instead of normal raiders who just shoot at you and clog the wasteland with their corpses).

Yeah, that always annoyed me, on top of the fact that Raiders apparently like having rotting corpses strung up inside their living quarters.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: derspiess on June 08, 2009, 12:29:25 AM
(instead of normal raiders who just shoot at you and clog the wasteland with their corpses).

Yeah, that always annoyed me, on top of the fact that Raiders apparently like having rotting corpses strung up inside their living quarters.

That is called food storage... :P
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

grumbler

Regular raiders have dialogue, its just that they are normally hostile to the player.  Use Alt Start Roleplaying to start as a raider or slaver, and you will have dialogue.  Otherwise, use Disguiser and wear Raider armor, and also have dialogue.

It isn't much, of course.  Mostly insults.  But these are not exactly intellectuals we are talking about.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I think I've occasionally heard them talk to each other (before they noticed my approach, of course).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2009, 02:43:32 PM
Regular raiders have dialogue, its just that they are normally hostile to the player.  Use Alt Start Roleplaying to start as a raider or slaver, and you will have dialogue.  Otherwise, use Disguiser and wear Raider armor, and also have dialogue.

It isn't much, of course.  Mostly insults.  But these are not exactly intellectuals we are talking about.

It's equivelent to the "Floats" of Fallout 1 and 2.

Razgovory

Personally I think the the Raiders were intended to have their own town you could go to and do quests in.  Green mills or what ever the place was called.  But for some reason it was cut.  I bet many of the characters for the Pitt were originally intended for that raider city.  I have a feeling alot of stuff was cut from the unfortuantly.  For instance in game previews the developers described a town underneath another town that could only be accessed by destroying the first town.  I suppose that would be megaton but clearly that hasn't fully implemented.  Broken Steel seems seems to add a portion of that back in I think (though you don't have to kill Megaton).

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2009, 05:50:53 AM
It's equivelent to the "Floats" of Fallout 1 and 2.
Not at all.  I am taking it that you have never encountered it, or you wouldn't be saying this. 

In FO3, greetings are the equivelent of floats.  Dialogue is the equivelent of dialogue in 1 and 2.

Maybe in The Pitt the raiders have things equivelent to FO1 floats, but in the main game they have dialogue.... just not much of it.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2009, 05:56:35 AM
For instance in game previews the developers described a town underneath another town that could only be accessed by destroying the first town.  I suppose that would be megaton but clearly that hasn't fully implemented.
It may not have been fully implemented, but the town works that way now if you destroy it.  You can see what it looks like by turning off clipping and walking under the ground in Megaton.

I would agree with your assertion that there is plenty of evidence of things never implemented in-game, just like there was in FO1 and 2, in Morrowind, Oblivion, and many other games.  At some point in the design, things get scaled back so as to not interfere with actual production.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Wow, what a clusterfuck patch 1.5 turned out to be!  :lol:

I got the DLC disk for The Pitt and OA, and installed it.  It immediately broke my game.  It turns out that one cannot save games when using both DLC and mods, because BethSoft "forgot" when creating the new patch that some gamers wanted to use .esp files with their games, and so forced saves to remember all data in an .esp (which the files aren't big enough to do, instantly crashing the game upon any save)!

There is a workaround, but it required a complete de-installation of the game and then a re-install, updating to no later than patch 1.015, and then using unofficial patches and something called a "fake patch." :bleeding:

The other option was to turn every .esp into an .esm, but that creates (obviously) its own problems.

BethSoft really, really screwed the pooch on this one!

Bayraktar!