News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Syt, March 29, 2009, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I'm slowly knocking out some of these side-quests.  "Head of State" was interesting, and "You Gotta Shoot 'em in the Head" was ridiculously easy.  Currently in the Statesman Hotel in "Reilly's Rangers".  I was making progress but caused a deadly (to me) secondary explosion trying to kill a Super Mutant Brute in the hotel last night.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Hey...any good mods you guys can recommend?  Decided to give the game another shot after a little break.

derspiess

Downloaded the Broken Steel add-on for 360.  Haven't really done much with the extended story-line yet-- mostly just doing some level grinding (love the new cap of 30) and exploring.

Also, Deathclaws are stupid & diminish the game.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I feel thay way about most mutant things in the game. ^_^

The more I play this game though, the more I like it.  Fallout 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oblivion.

Oblivion started out OSSUM, but the Oblivion gate shit ruined it for me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 27, 2009, 07:01:29 PM
Hey...any good mods you guys can recommend?  Decided to give the game another shot after a little break.
Try Alt Start Roleplayers.  You start off as different types of characters (Outcasts, Raiders, Lawbringers, escaped slaves, robots, etc).  Combine that with the Armor Disguises mod, and you have a whole new game.  You can be a raider disguised as a vault dweller and infiltrate Megaton, for instance.  Or you can be a lawbringer whose job it is to clear the wastes of raiders, and disguise yourself as one of them in order to get close (and, hopefully, get off the first shot).

Lots of fun, and they were with pretty much every overhaul mod.     
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 11:40:10 AM
Oblivion started out OSSUM, but the Oblivion gate shit ruined it for me.
Just get altstart-Main Quest-Cutoff and that problem is gone forever. 

The Kvatch gate remains, but that it it.  No more gates ever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

But does that kill the main quest?

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 12:04:53 PM
But does that kill the main quest?
Yes.  You start out in the countryside, and never meet the Emperor.  Martin is just some dude grateful to be rescued, and Jauffre doesn't even have unique dialogue.

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I guess what I'd rather see is the main quest rewritten so it either removes the Oblivion gates or makes them less irritating.  :)

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2009, 12:58:27 PM
I guess what I'd rather see is the main quest rewritten so it either removes the Oblivion gates or makes them less irritating.  :)
There may be such mods, but since Oblivion gates are required for the main quest, they couldn't be eliminated without eliminating the main quest (though you could remove the randomly spawning ones - there is a mod for that).

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

No Oblivion talk in here! 

I heard that the the new add on doesn't work right.  Anything about that?  I haven't bought any of the downloadables yet.  I was waiting for them all to come out.  I trust they are worth it though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2009, 02:51:01 PM
No Oblivion talk in here! 

I heard that the the new add on doesn't work right.  Anything about that?  I haven't bought any of the downloadables yet.  I was waiting for them all to come out.  I trust they are worth it though.

AFAIK, the issue for the PC version of the download was fixed (I didn't have any problems with the 360 version).  I think Broken Steel gives you the most bang for your buck, out of the three available downloads.  It changes the ending so that you can continue on, adds a few new weapons, characters, & perks, and raises the max level to 30.

Razgovory

They all looked neat to me.  I don't know how to download them for the PC though.  It's not immediatly obvious.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Okay, I finished Broken Steel over the weekend & recommend it.  Some of the new enemies (Albino Radscorpion & Feral Ghoul Reaver) are grossly overpowered IMO, and take a ridiculous amount of ammo to kill, even when using some of the new weapons.  I think the game should focus more on human enemies & less on mutated animals, but whatever.

But overall, the extended storyline is good (not great), new weapons are good, but the increased level cap is what makes it a must-have IMO.

I bought the RL3 (R Lee Ermey??) robot to accompany me throughout the campaign, mostly to carry excess items.  He can take a lot of damage, though the stupid Reavers almost killed him.

Oh, and re: Fallout 3 in general, the Mirelurk Kings are a joke.  They just stand there, let you kill them with headshots, and then bam, 66 exp :D

I'm just a hair away from level 29.  Once I hit 30, I'll probably put the game to the side until that 4th DLC becomes available, or if the price drops on the other two.

Razgovory

I hate windows lives. :mad: