News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Syt, March 29, 2009, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2009, 02:02:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2009, 01:42:23 PMThey still prey on people.  You just convince them not to prey on one community.  If those hoity-toity jerks think they are above humans then why treat them like humans.  I killed them all.

So what?  I assume they pray mostly on raiders since nearly all the people I encounter in the wastes are raiders, and raiders seem to universally be murderous lunatics to me. ^_^

Why assume that?  They were preying on the tiny village of 6 or so people before.  It's likely they would go on to some other small village.  It doesn't really matter though.  Anyone that regards humans as a prey animal is by definition a natural enemy to humanity.  In a sense they are not really that different from Radscorpions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

SPOILER:

But if they truly need blood to survive, and then agree to subsist on blood packs to avoid more killing, how does that make them evil enough to deserve extermination?  By that logic lions, sharks, etc. are evil for being carnivores.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I didn't say they were evil (they might be evil, but that's not the point)  I just said they were a natural enemy.  Animals that are dangerous to humans have traditionally been culled.  We do it today when we spray for mosquitoes to prevent outbreaks of West Nile.  I dunno about the Blood packs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2009, 01:42:23 PM
They still prey on people.  You just convince them not to prey on one community.  If those hoity-toity jerks think they are above humans then why treat them like humans.  I killed them all.
Good for you, but don't pretend that this makes you different from them morally.  You choose not to treat them like humans because they are "hoity-toity jerks" just as they choose to treat the residents of Arefu as sub-human because those residents are not "of the Family."

I see both moral judgments as equivelent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I ended up going back to a really old save, cheated, and then shot everybody in the head.

Me: Winnar
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: vinraith on April 23, 2009, 01:34:51 PM
Ah, if there are two groups of cannibals I haven't seen the other one. Time to duck out of the thread to avoid spoilerage. :)

There isn't much to spoil for Andale (at least it seemed kinda obvious to me).  Go there when you get a chance & you'll see what I mean.  There's not really even any kind of quest involved.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2009, 11:57:42 AM
I ended up going back to a really old save, cheated, and then shot everybody in the head.

There was some decent loot there.  Did it all turn 'green' after you capped them?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2009, 12:15:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2009, 11:57:42 AM

There was some decent loot there.  Did it all turn 'green' after you capped them?

I don't remember. By 'everybody', I mean, everybody. Megaton, radio station guy, traders, raiders, random dogs, etc. etc.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2009, 12:34:41 PM
I don't remember. By 'everybody', I mean, everybody. Megaton, radio station guy, traders, raiders, random dogs, etc. etc.

Ah.  That must have taken some time, then :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2009, 01:32:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2009, 12:34:41 PM

Ah.  That must have taken some time, then :D

The game was starting to bore me, so I went nuts.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2009, 01:43:05 PM
The game was starting to bore me, so I went nuts.

I generally do that in smaller measures, after I decided I was done playing 'seriously' for the night & had saved my game.  Also did that a lot in GTA.

Caliga

:yes:

I do the exact same thing each time I get a new, more kickass weapon: fast travel back to Megaton, save (or save first if I hadn't intended to go back "seriously"), and unleash hell.  Firing the Fat Man inside Moriarity's Saloon: TEH FUN.  I also enjoyed shooting Moira Brown in the face with the Combat Shotgun... in fact she always feels my wrath when I do this. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 24, 2009, 08:47:37 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2009, 01:42:23 PM
They still prey on people.  You just convince them not to prey on one community.  If those hoity-toity jerks think they are above humans then why treat them like humans.  I killed them all.
Good for you, but don't pretend that this makes you different from them morally.  You choose not to treat them like humans because they are "hoity-toity jerks" just as they choose to treat the residents of Arefu as sub-human because those residents are not "of the Family."

I see both moral judgments as equivelent.

They don't treat the people of Arefu as subhuman.  They treat them as human.  They just happen to eat humans.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2009, 08:12:01 PM
They don't treat the people of Arefu as subhuman.  They treat them as human.  They just happen to eat humans.
They try to survive within their code of behavior, and are willing to modify that behavior.  You don't modify your behavior even to meet them even  half-way.  It is clear who lacks compassion here.  If what you want is revenge for shit, then kill them.  That's a viable moral choice in the game, but it isn't an obviously superior moral choice to theirs.  After all, they didn't kill people (except for one member who broke the rules).

Oh, and they don't eat humans.  That is a major plot point that you might have missed, and which would explain your confusion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

In the same way a Spider doesn't eat a fly.