News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Syt, March 29, 2009, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 06:51:49 AM
I too would prefer a game without all the ghey mutants, mutated animals, etc.  It detracts from the immersion IMO.

Yep.  Still manages to be a great game in spite of all that, though.

P.S. Dogmeat :wub:

Haven't gotten out there (Scrapyard?) yet.  Fawkes seems like a good bullet magnet, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

For me at least, searching the abandoned houses of Minefield with the only sound being Dogmeat's panting was especially immersive and tense.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 03:28:29 PM
For me at least, searching the abandoned houses of Minefield with the only sound being Dogmeat's panting was especially immersive and tense.

I guess I would have to turn down the Enclave radio station to get that effect.  I wish John Henry Eden was our president :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 06:51:49 AM
I too would prefer a game without all the ghey mutants, mutated animals, etc.  It detracts from the immersion IMO. 
Agree about the super mutants, but the mutated animals are what make the game immersive (or at least similar to the Fallouts we know and love).

The game would be better without the Enclave, as well.
QuoteP.S. Dogmeat :wub:
Took Dogmeat once, had some fun, set him to wait for me, and never went back.  Dog was too fucking high-maintenance.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2009, 03:46:28 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

I guess I would have to turn down the Enclave radio station to get that effect.  I wish John Henry Eden was our president :(

Truly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

vinraith

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2009, 03:50:27 PM
Agree about the super mutants, but the mutated animals are what make the game immersive (or at least similar to the Fallouts we know and love).

The game would be better without the Enclave, as well.

I actually liked the super mutants, simply because for awhile at least they were a genuinely frightening enemy. The Enclave was... less interesting, but at least they made an attempt to spike up the difficulty of the countryside in the late game.
QuoteP.S. Dogmeat :wub:
Took Dogmeat once, had some fun, set him to wait for me, and never went back.  Dog was too fucking high-maintenance.

All the companions got in the way of my stealth/range gameplay style, so I never kept any of them. Dogmeat's search capability (and miraculous ability to bypass locks) was kind of neat, though, plus he is a pretty cool dog.

Ed Anger

I see there is a mod that makes the game greener to get rid of all the brown.

Finally, a worthwhile mod. I guess I'll replay this game this summer.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 10:16:26 AM
er, yeah, we know IKK.  :huh:

I didn't know they were doing a movie about it. I just wanted to share  :bowler:

Razgovory

I have a question.  Is the game world as big as Oblivion?  It feels much smaller...  My main complaint about this game is that there just isn't enough of it (which is not to bad as complaints go).  The game could have used more big towns, more quests, more NPC interactions, more of about everything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2009, 01:16:57 AM
I have a question.  Is the game world as big as Oblivion?  It feels much smaller...  My main complaint about this game is that there just isn't enough of it (which is not to bad as complaints go).  The game could have used more big towns, more quests, more NPC interactions, more of about everything.
It is smaller, and I agree that it is a fine game, but just too small.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2009, 05:14:54 AM
It is smaller, and I agree that it is a fine game, but just too small.

:blink:  Seems huge to me, but I never really played RPGs before.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2009, 11:41:12 AM
:blink:  Seems huge to me, but I never really played RPGs before.
Oblivion is much larger, but doesn't have the same density of countryside encounters.  I have never "played out" Oblivion, even before the expansions and player-made additional quests, places, and whatnot.  Even today, I find places from the original game that I have never found before, and I probably have played the game for 500 hours or more.

Morrowind is even larger than Oblivion.

Bayraktar!

vinraith

How odd, it feels about the same size to me, and I believe I've read that it IS about the same size. Grumbler seems to think otherwise, and might know better than me, but I was under the impression they were equivalent. The issue, really, is how empty the countryside is. There isn't enough stuff filling up the space they have, and I was constantly amazed at how few quests I was finding.

And yes, Morrowind's bigger than both.

Razgovory

Quote from: vinraith on April 15, 2009, 08:34:09 PM

How odd, it feels about the same size to me, and I believe I've read that it IS about the same size. Grumbler seems to think otherwise, and might know better than me, but I was under the impression they were equivalent. The issue, really, is how empty the countryside is. There isn't enough stuff filling up the space they have, and I was constantly amazed at how few quests I was finding.

And yes, Morrowind's bigger than both.

Oblivion (and Morrowind) both had a lot more towns.  And the towns were bigger. It feels like there was more stuff to be added but they didn't get around to it.  For instance Rivet city seems kinda bare.

Oh and Daggerfall was bigger then both of them combined!  (I never played Arena).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2009, 09:02:25 PM
Oh and Daggerfall was bigger then both of them combined!  (I never played Arena).
Daggerfall doesn't count because it was all randomly generated, and nothing the player did persisted (except in the quest line).

Bayraktar!