And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 3

Started by Syt, March 29, 2009, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2009, 09:22:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2009, 09:02:25 PM
Oh and Daggerfall was bigger then both of them combined!  (I never played Arena).
Daggerfall doesn't count because it was all randomly generated, and nothing the player did persisted (except in the quest line).

Indeed. Of course, since Arena was the entirety of Tamriel, it'd be even bigger, but is disqualified for the same reason. Every successive Bethsoft game has encompassed a smaller geographic area, though. That's a surprisingly consistent trend.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2009, 09:22:27 PM
Oh and Daggerfall was bigger then both of them combined!  (I never played Arena).
Daggerfall doesn't count because it was all randomly generated, and nothing the player did persisted (except in the quest line).

Also it wasn't as good.  Though I did get a big kick out of playing it at the time (despite the bugs).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: vinraith on April 15, 2009, 10:41:45 PM
Indeed. Of course, since Arena was the entirety of Tamriel, it'd be even bigger, but is disqualified for the same reason. Every successive Bethsoft game has encompassed a smaller geographic area, though. That's a surprisingly consistent trend.
Each, though, has more sophisticated and detailed NPCs and terrain, so it isn't surprising that the amount of area that could be covered is smaller.  There are maybe four times as many container types in F3 than in Oblivion, as well, so placement takes more time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I made the shishkebab, but I am disappointed by the amount of gore it generates.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 10:47:41 AM
I made the shishkebab, but I am disappointed by the amount of gore it generates.  :(

It sets them on fire.  Be happy with that :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I wanted FLAMING CHUNKS.  :mad:

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 11:56:04 AM
I wanted FLAMING CHUNKS.  :mad:

You can get flaming limbs.  I kept cutting off heads which wouldn't stop burning!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

:thumbsup: More fieldwork is needed.

sbr

You know you can download Arena from Bethesda for free?

http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_anniv/tenth_anniv-arena.htm

Caliga

Syt

Obsidian did KotOR 2 and NWN2. Here's hoping their trend of having more interesting characters than the original game continues. Let's hope it won't be botched like KotOR2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: sbr on April 19, 2009, 11:18:58 PM

You know you can download Arena from Bethesda for free?

http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_anniv/tenth_anniv-arena.htm

Why would you want to?  Arena was an interesting and innovative game for its time, but the graphics are horribly dated, the world is fairly boring (randomly generated, but in its randomness most things in each region tend to be the same), and I remember it being insanely difficult in alot of respects.  I played Arena for maybe 20 hours tops and then shelved it.

Eochaid

I saw the news on Gamasutra as well.

QuoteBethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas
by Chris Remo, Leigh Alexander

April 20, 2009

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas
Advertisement
Bethesda Softworks announced that Obsidian Entertainment is developing a brand-new Fallout game titled Fallout: New Vegas, to release next year on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

Gamasutra was at Bethesda's event in London to hear the game announced by marketing and PR VP Pete Hines, who provided few specifics on the game's engine, gameplay or perspective -- but did note the game is neither a Fallout 3 sequel nor a spin-off.

"It's not Fallout Tactics -- it's not Brotherhood Of Steel. It's another Fallout game," said Hines. "It has no impact on what [Bethesda Game Studios game director] Todd Howard and his guys are planning."

A number of Obsidian staff are veterans of Black Isle's original Fallout games. The company's CEO, Feargus Urquhart, was instrumental in founding Black Isle, and served as its director.

Hines said Bethesda approached Obsidian to work on the title. "We've really been enjoying working with [Obsidian] on it," he said, adding, "That is all we're going to say about it right now."

It's been a while

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on April 20, 2009, 10:52:00 AM
Obsidian did KotOR 2 and NWN2. Here's hoping their trend of having more interesting characters than the original game continues. Let's hope it won't be botched like KotOR2.

Isn't Obsidian mostly made up of the guys who did the original Fallout/Fallout 2?  If so, this game oughta kick ass.

edit: oops, Eochaid's article says that  :blush:

Syt

The NMA guys will call them sell outs because they agreed to work with FO3.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.