And we're back!

Main Menu

Women in combat

Started by CountDeMoney, November 07, 2009, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2009, 08:13:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2009, 07:52:37 PM
Why would allowing women into combat roles lead to an exodus of women, and didn't the Soviets make it work?
IIRC the Soviets used women in segregated units.

I think you are right. I didn't bother to read Hans' post closely enough--I thought he was discussing just putting women in front line roles rather than also integrating them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 08, 2009, 08:18:07 PM

Because the step from "allowable" to "mandatory" is very small

Hmmm--it seems large to me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Hansmeister

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2009, 08:16:56 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on November 08, 2009, 07:45:27 PM
When you add all the shit you have to be able to carry in light infantry it adds up to about 150 pounds.  Are there any women outside of former east german athletes able to carry that load?

Plenty.  My 5'10" wife for one.  She never went out for the army, but passed the male physical requirements for the RCMP.

I'm with Meri in that I don't believe in reduced physical requirements for women, but some women are certainly as physically capable as men.

Nonsense, the amount of weight you can safely carry without risking permanent damage is a combination of physical fitness and proportional body weight.  Contrary to popular belief wars are not fought conducting physical fitness tests, nor are any monkeybars involved in actual combat.  A women's physical frame is simply not capable of supporting a lot of weight, not to mention women's lack of upper body musculatur (women have 50% less musle than men, no amount of physical training can overcome that).

Hansmeister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2009, 08:21:18 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on November 08, 2009, 08:18:07 PM
Because the step from "allowable" to "mandatory" is very small

Hmmm--it seems large to me.
Trust me, there are many things in the military that are "voluntary", yet your average Soldier would have a hard time opting out.  :P

merithyn

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 08, 2009, 08:22:07 PM
Nonsense, the amount of weight you can safely carry without risking permanent damage is a combination of physical fitness and proportional body weight.  Contrary to popular belief wars are not fought conducting physical fitness tests, nor are any monkeybars involved in actual combat.  A women's physical frame is simply not capable of supporting a lot of weight, not to mention women's lack of upper body musculatur (women have 50% less musle than men, no amount of physical training can overcome that).

So, basically, because you say so, it's true? Even though there are plenty of women who can and do manage? (i.e. the Canadian military allows women in combat situations, as has been stated here)

Think what you want, but please don't be so arrogant as to state it as fact.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

I'd like a little more background on that Canadian women "in combat situations" thing.  US women are fired on, and killed, but they don't serve in combat units.  Beeb, do you mean Canadian women are serving as grunts in infantry squads?

Neil

I thought Hans was talking infantry.

Still, I'm not sure that integrating women is a useful thing to do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2009, 08:55:02 PM
Interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/us/16women.html?_r=2&em
Her gun is bigger than she is.

How can we discourage child soldiers and yet use women in our own armies?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

You get into huge trouble by taking averages then translating them to immutable facts.

Yes, on average women have less muscle mass then men do.

That does not mean however that some women don't have significantly more muscle mass than others.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

She-Hulk has significantly more muscle mass than the Invisible Woman, for example.

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on November 08, 2009, 09:12:29 PM
She-Hulk has significantly more muscle mass than the Invisible Woman, for example.

I'd think Wonder Woman would have them both beat, however.

Eddie Teach

You think Wonder Woman has bigger muscles than a feminine version of the Hulk?  :blink:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2009, 08:46:43 PM

So, basically, because you say so, it's true? Even though there are plenty of women who can and do manage? (i.e. the Canadian military allows women in combat situations, as has been stated here)

Think what you want, but please don't be so arrogant as to state it as fact.

Well, that's how he gets his facts.  He doesn't question the information he gets why should you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017