And we're back!

Main Menu

Women in combat

Started by CountDeMoney, November 07, 2009, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2009, 02:45:34 PM
Gorman went back to protect Vasquez. :contract:

You can't beat up your protector if you've had acid sprayed all over your legs.
Marines always go back to help a wounded comrade, gender makes no difference.  :contract:
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2009, 02:35:23 PMThe reason the IDF gave it up was they found men were overprotective of their female unit members, to the detriment of the mission.
If that's really such a big problem, just make women-only units. But I somehow doubt that it is such a big problem.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2009, 02:35:23 PM
The reason the IDF gave it up was they found men were overprotective of their female unit members, to the detriment of the mission.

I wonder if this is still true, now that so many women are involved in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan alongside men.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2009, 05:44:58 PM
The reason the IDF gave it up was they found men were overprotective of their female unit members, to the detriment of the mission.

I wonder if this is still true, now that so many women are involved in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan alongside men.

I'd rather they not find out.

"Gee, I wonder...if I land on that grenade, will she give me her phone number?"

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 07, 2009, 05:47:52 PM

I'd rather they not find out.

"Gee, I wonder...if I land on that grenade, will she give me her phone number?"

*shrugs*

Darwin's theory in action
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Siege

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2009, 01:53:37 PM
I don't see any reason why women shouldn't be allowed to serve in combat units.

Bingo.

Also, if the females are unprofessional and choose one of her fellow soldiers as boyfriend, jealousy eat the rest of the boys, to the point of anarchy.

The one thing that the IDF is very happy with is with females as drill sergeants for infantrymen. The boys try really hard to impress them.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: PDH on November 07, 2009, 04:08:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2009, 02:45:34 PM
Gorman went back to protect Vasquez. :contract:

You can't beat up your protector if you've had acid sprayed all over your legs.
Marines always go back to help a wounded comrade, gender makes no difference.  :contract:

Wrong. You fight the fight first, then go back and help the wounded.
If you try to help the wounded without finishing the fight first, you will likely get wounded or killed, and the wounded you were trying to help will either bleed to death or be captured and decapitated by hajj on video.

Those are the hard facts.

Zanza

Quote from: Siege on November 08, 2009, 08:09:01 AMAlso, if the females are unprofessional and choose one of her fellow soldiers as boyfriend, jealousy eat the rest of the boys, to the point of anarchy.
That's the same in every other job in the world too. Why would the military be special in that aspect?

And why would it be unprofessional? A lot of people meet their partner on the job. What matters is if they do their job correctly, not their private partnership.

One more thing. You saying that it is unprofessional from the female only shows your old Middle Eastern gender image again.

Siege

I have never seen woman involved in combat over here. They have been in convoys that have been shot at, and they have returned fire, but they are not in infantry units and they certainly don't go knocking on the doors of the bad guys.

I have seen what happens when a pog convoy gets shot at. Everybody ducks, a few return fire, maybe, but they all claim to deserve the CAB (combat action badge).

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2009, 08:19:07 AM
Quote from: Siege on November 08, 2009, 08:09:01 AMAlso, if the females are unprofessional and choose one of her fellow soldiers as boyfriend, jealousy eat the rest of the boys, to the point of anarchy.
That's the same in every other job in the world too. Why would the military be special in that aspect?

In most other jobs you don't have convenient opportunities, like a messy firefight, to dispose of rivals.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

And why would it be unprofessional? A lot of people meet their partner on the job. What matters is if they do their job correctly, not their private partnership.

One more thing. You saying that it is unprofessional from the female only shows your old Middle Eastern gender image again.

If you think that the military is like any other job, you are out of your fucking mind.
Do you wanna know what a deployment is?
A bunch of lions inside a cage.
We are together 24/7. There is no time off. There are no places to go, no family, no girlfriends, no sex or alcohol, no parties, no nothing. Tensions are high, stress levels are pretty high.
Throw a female in the middle of this, and all hell gonna break lose.

Syt

Quote from: Siege on November 08, 2009, 08:31:19 AM

If you think that the military is like any other job, you are out of your fucking mind.
Do you wanna know what a deployment is?
A bunch of lions inside a cage.
We are together 24/7. There is no time off. There are no places to go, no family, no girlfriends, no sex or alcohol, no parties, no nothing. Tensions are high, stress levels are pretty high.
Throw a female in the middle of this, and all hell gonna break lose.

you make a good point for recruiting an all-gay force. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2009, 08:23:37 AMIn most other jobs you don't have convenient opportunities, like a messy firefight, to dispose of rivals.
The off-chance that someone might negligently get his teammate killed or even murder that teammate in a firefight is not exactly a convincing argument to generally exclude all women from all combat roles in the military.

Siege

Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2009, 08:23:37 AM

In most other jobs you don't have convenient opportunities, like a messy firefight, to dispose of rivals.

Or to dispose of the bitch. Most infantrymen are alpha-males by nature. They could feel deeply wounded when the honey chooses another dog. Sometimes the female goes in a second from being the honey to being the hated bitch.

I can't see an infantry platoon with females having any sense of discipline or brotherhood. It is hard enough without females.