News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Women in combat

Started by CountDeMoney, November 07, 2009, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Also, may you fuckers have to suffer through "Scrapbooking".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2009, 12:30:43 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2009, 12:22:28 PM
But it already has changed.

Which I see as a real problem.

I'm as much a feminist as you're likely to meet, but not in the "bad" way. What I believe is that women should have exactly the same opportunities as men to do the exact same job. Don't change it to accommodate the fact that women tend to be smaller, weaker, and *coughs* smarter. Find the bare minimum of what it entails to do the job, and apply them across the board.

The one thing to keep in mind is that most jobs need to be re-evaluated due to new techonologies, new ways at viewing the jobs, and to make sure that the bare minimum is correct. There was a time when job requirements were made what they were in order to keep women out of them. (I'm thinking construction here, in particular, but there are other jobs that did that, as well.) I think that as a whole, our society is now better at saying, "Okay, let's find out what needs to happen, what is needed to make it happen, and right our requirements accordingly, regardless of gender, race, sexual practices, or how many teeth a person has in their head." Unfortunately, it's not perfect, and there are still those who will set their "guidelines" in a way to intentionally keep a particular set of people out.

I bet the military brass would be against having the same standards for men and women. Women serve a lot of key noncombat roles, but many of them would have trouble achieving the male fitness standards and would end up out of the service.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

That one's easy. There should be different fitness standards for males in combat and non-combat roles too.

For instance, I shouldn't be categorically rejected from the military because I require contact lenses.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2009, 04:32:28 PM
I bet the military brass would be against having the same standards for men and women. Women serve a lot of key noncombat roles, but many of them would have trouble achieving the male fitness standards and would end up out of the service.

Not all military jobs require the same fitness standards. And women do have to meet the basic requirements to get into the military... for women. Where they went wrong was in not lowering those standards for men, as well.

The idea is to put the requirements at the lowest possible to do the job. Then add more requirements to do the more difficult jobs, irregardless of gender.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2009, 04:42:13 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2009, 04:32:28 PM

Not all military jobs require the same fitness standards. And women do have to meet the basic requirements to get into the military... for women. Where they went wrong was in not lowering those standards for men, as well.

The idea is to put the requirements at the lowest possible to do the job. Then add more requirements to do the more difficult jobs, irregardless of gender.

I don't know. I was trying to follow a military fitness program for a while, and was able to reach the women's marine fitness standards, and never hit the men's. If the fitness standards are about promoting discipline and good health--and to a large extent I think they are--then I can see accepting a woman who had to work much harder to achieve the same amount of upper body strength, but not me.

Also, for what it is worth (and I'd be interested if someone with military experience correcting this if it is wrong), I don't think the standards for front line units are bright line. Someone who can pass the fitness tests will not necessarily be considered at an acceptable level of fitness in an infantry unit by the NCOs.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Barrister

BTW, the Canadian forces have integrated women into combat roles for 20 years or so now.  Submarines used to be the only exception, but even that was eliminated a few years ago.

We've even had female soldiers die in Afghanistan.

Doesn't seem to have hurt our combat capability.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2009, 05:49:31 PM
BTW, the Canadian forces have integrated women into combat roles for 20 years or so now.  Submarines used to be the only exception, but even that was eliminated a few years ago.

We've even had female soldiers die in Afghanistan.

Doesn't seem to have hurt our combat capability.

But we know that Canadians are superior to Americans in most things. :)

No, I'm not being sarcastic, says the besotted wife of a Canadian. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2009, 11:22:48 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 08, 2009, 09:01:07 AM
Quote from: Siege on November 08, 2009, 08:58:13 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 08, 2009, 08:42:02 AM
I'm glad Siege showed up to liven up an otherwise boring thread.  :)

Who the fuck are you?
Timmothy or Monkeybutt?

Can't tell you two apart.

We both changed our names years ago. I'm Tim.

Please edit my last name out of that post.

We already know your last name, Chemo.
Thanks for the edit.  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Hansmeister

When you add all the shit you have to be able to carry in light infantry it adds up to about 150 pounds.  Are there any women outside of former east german athletes able to carry that load?

Add to that the complete lack of privacy and the need to be able to operate with little to no personal hygene for extended periods of time and you got a situation that makes it completely ridiculous to integrate women in all aspects of the military.

At least it is completely ridiculous to anyone who has actual experience in the arena.  I blame stupid SCIFI and Fantasy novels in making such a ridiculous premise plausible.

Not to mention that such a policy would lead to an exodus of women from the military and cause serious harm to military readiness.

alfred russel

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 08, 2009, 07:45:27 PM
When you add all the shit you have to be able to carry in light infantry it adds up to about 150 pounds.  Are there any women outside of former east german athletes able to carry that load?

Add to that the complete lack of privacy and the need to be able to operate with little to no personal hygene for extended periods of time and you got a situation that makes it completely ridiculous to integrate women in all aspects of the military.

At least it is completely ridiculous to anyone who has actual experience in the arena.  I blame stupid SCIFI and Fantasy novels in making such a ridiculous premise plausible.

Not to mention that such a policy would lead to an exodus of women from the military and cause serious harm to military readiness.

Why would allowing women into combat roles lead to an exodus of women, and didn't the Soviets make it work?

Razgovory

I imagine Hans calling for support over the radio and guy on the other side is wondering when they let eastern European chicks on the front line.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2009, 07:52:37 PM
Why would allowing women into combat roles lead to an exodus of women, and didn't the Soviets make it work?
IIRC the Soviets used women in segregated units.

Barrister

Plenty.  My 5'10" wife for one.  She never went out for the army, but passed the male physical requirements for the RCMP.

I'm with Meri in that I don't believe in reduced physical requirements for women, but some women are certainly as physically capable as men.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Hansmeister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 08, 2009, 07:52:37 PM

Because the step from "allowable" to "mandatory" is very small and most women would quit rather than taking that risk.  And the Soviets made that work the way everything "worked" in the Soviet Union.  :lol: