News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Women in combat

Started by CountDeMoney, November 07, 2009, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

It is a lot easier to admit women to combat units when you are certain that the odds of them ever seeing any actual combat are pretty slim. It is just an intellectual exercise at that point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Zanza on November 10, 2009, 03:55:59 PM
Germany has women in infantry combat units.
Except the German infantry doesn't actually see any combat.  Ever.  Thus, it's a non-issue.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on November 10, 2009, 03:50:26 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 10, 2009, 03:14:53 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on November 09, 2009, 11:57:46 PM
In forty years it won't be an issue because all Soldiers will be wearing exoskeletons.
Wrong.

Right.

Stop crushing my dreams.
You'll be either retired or dead in 40 years anyways.  Still, that's a pipe dream.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2009, 03:57:38 PM
It is a lot easier to admit women to combat units when you are certain that the odds of them ever seeing any actual combat are pretty slim. It is just an intellectual exercise at that point.

Except that in the last 6 years or so Canadian combat units have seen quite a lot of combat.  Indeed the CF has (from my outsider's perspective) rediscovered itself as an actual armed force as a result of Afghanistan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2009, 04:33:35 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2009, 03:57:38 PM

Except that in the last 6 years or so Canadian combat units have seen quite a lot of combat.  Indeed the CF has (from my outsider's perspective) rediscovered itself as an actual armed force as a result of Afghanistan.

I wasn't talking about Canada.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Germany still gets a plus for using MG42s
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2009, 07:55:35 PM
I went back through The List (tm) and found this:

Quote1989
Private Heather R. Erxleben becomes Canada's first female Regular Force infantry soldier.
Thanks.  That is a starting point.  Dunno why Beeb and other found this so hard.

The List(TM) just gives firsts, though.  I am still looking for current numbers, and if standards changed.

I would note that I am not looking for a specific answer.  As I have said, I am convinced that this is a transition issue, and someday threads like the "Fallo of the Berlin Wall" thread will be written about women in combat.

However, all of the "the emperor surely does has clothes" responses don't tell us much.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Mr.Penguin

Denmark has women in front line combat units, women who has seen combat in both Iraq and Afghanistan. However despite the best efforts from both politicians and the Army leadership, do females in the Danish Army make up less than 4% of the soldiers. One of the reasons is that physical requirement the same for women as they are for men, this alone has the effect that more than 80% of female recruits leaves the Army before completing basic training...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers