News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Women in combat

Started by CountDeMoney, November 07, 2009, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Siege on November 08, 2009, 08:09:01 AM
Also, if the females are unprofessional and choose one of her fellow soldiers as boyfriend, jealousy eat the rest of the boys, to the point of anarchy.
That's a simple thing to correct, just forbid it.  If two become involved, one of them has to change unit or both are fired.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2009, 09:24:54 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 09, 2009, 08:38:15 AM
A lovely table on percentages of what jobs in the CF here:

http://www.nato.int/ims/2006/win/pdf/canada_national_report_2006.pdf

Scroll down to the bottom for your numbers. Women represent 1.4% of combat arms troops in the CF.
So I gues the answer to my question is "nobody knows."  :(

I suppose it wouldn't be obvious to someone who is unfamiliar with the subject, but "combat arms" is a much broader category than "combat infantryman" (aka "grunts") and includes radiomen and even clerks in combat units, as well as artillery gunners, tanks drivers, etc.  Knowing the percentage of combat arms made up of women rtells us nothing about the number of female combat infantrymen.

The problem I have is that we do know that all roles are open to women, and that ~2% of "combat arms" are women in the CF.  It seems extremely speculative to suggest that there may be no women infantrymen. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2009, 01:45:22 PM
The problem I have is that we do know that all roles are open to women, and that ~2% of "combat arms" are women in the CF.  It seems extremely speculative to suggest that there may be no women infantrymen. 
It also seems extremely speculative to suggest that there may be some women infantrymen. The only non-speculative answer in the absence of evidence is "I don't know."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

If 2% of the combat arms in Canadas military are women, can't they just send an email to all 10 of them and ask them if any are infantryman?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2009, 01:39:32 PM
Quote from: Siege on November 08, 2009, 08:09:01 AM
Also, if the females are unprofessional and choose one of her fellow soldiers as boyfriend, jealousy eat the rest of the boys, to the point of anarchy.
That's a simple thing to correct, just forbid it.  If two become involved, one of them has to change unit or both are fired.

That would lead to an extraodinary number of transfers, I'd guess.  The only way to really limit the problem would be to summarily execute both parties.  And that wouldn't eliminate the problem, just limit it by preventing repeat offenders.

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2009, 02:40:05 PM
If 2% of the combat arms in Canadas military are women, can't they just send an email to all 10 of them and ask them if any are infantryman?
And Berkut continues his campaign of disrespect towards the Canadian military.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Not having read the thread---Has anyone posted Starship Troopers pics yet?

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Combat arms != infantry.

0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 08, 2009, 11:55:20 PM
It is an immutable fact that women have 50% less muscles than men, it's genetic and fixed at birth.  Don't confuse the strength of muscles with the amount of muscles, two different things.

Which muscles are they missing?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2009, 07:09:47 PM
Combat arms != infantry.

Infantry is a subgroup of combat arms however.

You seem to be speculating that despite all branches of military service being desegregated for over 20 years (except subs), and despite ~2% of combat arms soldiers being women, that it is at all conceivable that not a single woman has even been in the infantry.  That seems so unlikely to me that if it were true it surely would have been noted somewhere.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2009, 07:13:26 PM

Which muscles are they missing?

I can confirm the vocal chord muscles are at full strength.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2009, 07:17:22 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2009, 07:09:47 PM
Combat arms != infantry.

Infantry is a subgroup of combat arms however.

You seem to be speculating that despite all branches of military service being desegregated for over 20 years (except subs), and despite ~2% of combat arms soldiers being women, that it is at all conceivable that not a single woman has even been in the infantry.  That seems so unlikely to me that if it were true it surely would have been noted somewhere.

I am not speculating anything.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I went back through The List (tm) and found this:

Quote1989
Private Heather R. Erxleben becomes Canada's first female Regular Force infantry soldier.

PDH

Erxleben sucked as a punter and dedicated kick-off kicker.
(let's see who gets THAT reference)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM