And we're back!

Main Menu

Women in combat

Started by CountDeMoney, November 07, 2009, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2009, 12:09:10 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2009, 12:06:09 PM
Remember how everyone got so upset at the Iranian chick dying during the demonstrations, when dozens of men died without much comment from the western public?  Multiply that by hundreds of cases, and you can start to see how the "cost of war" will become disproportionately higher if a significant fraction of the dead are women.

Hell, just remember all the bullshit over Jessica Lynch.  And she was just in a fucking car accident.

To be fair, she was a POW that was rescued. Were she a man, it would have been just as awesome to have him saved in such a fashion. It made for good news. That she was a woman didn't hurt, no, but I think it would have been made a big deal either way.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

It's just basic physiology.

I mean, a woman's physical attributes don't come into play when it comes to a cockpit, or a tank turret, or any number of activities on the modern battlefield with today's technology.
But, when it comes to the nitty gritty, room-to-room warfare in the trenches, someone 4'11" and 115lbs is at a distinct disadvantage in hand-to-hand, close quarters combat.

Same thing with cops;  I've seen female officers tossed around like little dish rags because they had no ass, dragged around bars by their little ponytails.

That's why, way back in the day before equal rights, Maryland State Troopers were required to be 6' tall with proportional weight.  Why? Because out on the road, with back up long minutes and miles away, you need to have the physical attributes necessary to ensure, or at least give you a fighting chance for, tactical survival.

Combat, at its most literal, is about killing the man opposite you.  And women are at a distinct disadvantage at that moment.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2009, 12:18:30 PM
It's just basic physiology.

I mean, a woman's physical attributes don't come into play when it comes to a cockpit, or a tank turret, or any number of activities on the modern battlefield with today's technology.
But, when it comes to the nitty gritty, room-to-room warfare in the trenches, someone 4'11" and 115lbs is at a distinct disadvantage in hand-to-hand, close quarters combat.

Same thing with cops;  I've seen female officers tossed around like little dish rags because they had no ass, dragged around bars by their little ponytails.

That's why, way back in the day before equal rights, Maryland State Troopers were required to be 6' tall with proportional weight.  Why? Because out on the road, with back up long minutes and miles away, you need to have the physical attributes necessary to ensure, or at least give you a fighting chance for, tactical survival.

Combat, at its most literal, is about killing the man opposite you.  And women are at a distinct disadvantage at that moment.

Which is why it's imperative that nothing changes as it regards the requirements for the job. Everyone must still be able to lift XX amount, run XX speed, tackle someone XX size, etc. That can't change to accommodate women. If a woman happens to be able to do those things, then yes, let her do the job. If she can't, then it's no different than if a man can't. The job requires those things, ergo one must be able to do them in order to have the job.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2009, 12:21:10 PM
Which is why it's imperative that nothing changes as it regards the requirements for the job. Everyone must still be able to lift XX amount, run XX speed, tackle someone XX size, etc. That can't change to accommodate women.

But it already has changed.

Warspite

Yes, and if you don't change it, then the criticism becomes "the bar is set artificially high".
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2009, 12:22:28 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2009, 12:21:10 PM
Which is why it's imperative that nothing changes as it regards the requirements for the job. Everyone must still be able to lift XX amount, run XX speed, tackle someone XX size, etc. That can't change to accommodate women.

Physical fitness standards in the army nowadays are laughably easy. You only fail if you're fat or lazy.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 08, 2009, 12:28:45 PM
Physical fitness standards in the army nowadays are laughably easy. You only fail if you're fat or lazy.

Or if your tits get in the way.  But that goes for Jaron, too.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2009, 12:22:28 PM

Which I see as a real problem.

I'm as much a feminist as you're likely to meet, but not in the "bad" way. What I believe is that women should have exactly the same opportunities as men to do the exact same job. Don't change it to accommodate the fact that women tend to be smaller, weaker, and *coughs* smarter. Find the bare minimum of what it entails to do the job, and apply them across the board.

The one thing to keep in mind is that most jobs need to be re-evaluated due to new techonologies, new ways at viewing the jobs, and to make sure that the bare minimum is correct. There was a time when job requirements were made what they were in order to keep women out of them. (I'm thinking construction here, in particular, but there are other jobs that did that, as well.) I think that as a whole, our society is now better at saying, "Okay, let's find out what needs to happen, what is needed to make it happen, and right our requirements accordingly, regardless of gender, race, sexual practices, or how many teeth a person has in their head." Unfortunately, it's not perfect, and there are still those who will set their "guidelines" in a way to intentionally keep a particular set of people out.

merithyn

Quote from: Warspite on November 08, 2009, 12:27:41 PM
Yes, and if you don't change it, then the criticism becomes "the bar is set artificially high".

Are you saying that this doesn't happen?

PDH

Quote from: Siege on November 08, 2009, 08:13:23 AM
Those are the hard facts.
Not in the goddammed Space Marines, asshole.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2009, 09:19:21 AM
No thanks. I am a civilian and intend to stay one.

But I reserve myself the right to have an opinion on general issues of society. And the discrimination of women in the military is such an issue.

So far, the arguments I've read suggest that the problem is not with the women, but with the men serving in the military. That's not a good enough reason for discrimination in my opinion.
"The problem" is with the ability of the military to perform its function.  For counties where that function is fighting the enemy that's a pretty serious concern.

Ed Anger

Women are there to make babies and fix sandwiches.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 08, 2009, 04:10:15 PM
Women are there to make babies and fix sandwiches.

You're all balls here, but you wouldn't say shit like that to the little missus, and you know it.
I'm surprised your ass isn't at a crafts fair right now.

Eddie Teach

He is. He's posting from his phone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I'm busted. I'm in the corner trying to get CBS TV reception on my 2" B&W TV.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive