Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

If they do like the NHL sure.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

There went my weekend long nap with that stupid draft change.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2009, 08:11:06 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 23, 2009, 07:41:26 PM
So, is one of the teams going to move to LA, or is that just a rumor?

LA already has a professional football team.
The Avengers don't count.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

QuoteRavens sign receiver Bennett to one-year deal
Team adds 30-year-old wide-out after trying out group of four

The void left by the sudden retirement of Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason has been filled by another former Tennessee Titan.

The club announced a one-year deal with Drew Bennett after the 30-year-old veteran completed a tryout with three other receivers Friday morning and passed a physical later this afternoon.

"At this time of year, it's good to be able to pick up a player who has been very productive in the league, and that includes against our defense," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement. "Drew has been very competitive against us. We obviously liked his workout today. We wanted to make sure he was healthy and that he still had the things we've seen against us and on film."

Prior to climbing into a car waiting to transport him from the team's training facility in Owings Mills to take his physical, Bennett -- who met with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns and Titans this offseason -- said he thought he did what was necessary in the workout.

"I'm used to it now," Bennett said. "[I've] been to a couple of these, but I thought it went well. I feel good, I feel healthy, I feel strong, all the corny stuff you're supposed to say when you have a workout. But I feel like I'm in good shape, and it went well. I caught the ball well, I feel comfortable."

Bennett beat out former Seattle Seahawk D.J. Hackett, former Detroit Lion Chris Hannon and rookie Justin Brown at Friday's workout.

Hackett, 28, who has caught 118 passes for 1,575 yards and nine touchdowns in five seasons, was thought to be Bennett's primary competitor. But Hackett sounded glum about his prospects after the workout.

"I'm going back home," he said. "The workout went good. Just running routes. Everything went fine."

The 6-foot-5, 196-pound Bennett joins Ernie Wheelwright as the tallest wide receiver on the Ravens' roster and provides the offense with a big red-zone target, something it has been lacking for years.

In eight years, Bennett has caught 307 passes for 4,412 yards and 28 touchdowns. He had his best season in 2004, when he registered 80 receptions for 1,247 yards and 11 touchdowns with the Titans.

But in his last two seasons – both with the St. Louis Rams – he caught a combined 34 passes for 379 yards and three touchdowns. Bennett broke a bone in his left foot in the season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles last September and missed the remainder of the season.

Bennett, who waived by the Rams two years into a six-year, $30 million deal, said the recovery process was lengthy, but insisted that the foot is completely healed.

"I thought it was going to be six to eight weeks, and really it was bothering me all the way up until February," he said. "It took a little while to get back into where I don't feel it at all. It's been probably three months now since I've had any problems with it or felt it at all."

Bennett's medical history did not seem to scare off the Ravens.

"Drew's situation is a lot like [tight end] L.J. Smith, who we added earlier this offseason," Newsome said. "Both are proven veterans coming off injuries, and they are looking for the opportunity to resurrect their careers."

Bennett could bolster a receiving corps gutted by Mason's decision to retire earlier this month. Without Mason who led the Ravens in receiving in three of the last four seasons, the offense is left with Mark Clayton, Demetrius Williams, Marcus Smith and Kelley Washington -- a foursome that combined for 55 receptions and four touchdowns last season.

Like many Ravens fans, Bennett said he is hoping that Mason changes his mind.

"D-Mase is still a good friend of mine, so I would love a chance -- especially coming to a team with new guys -- to be able to have somebody that you're comfortable with right off the bat," Bennett said. ... But I think D-Mase will find his way. He's always been very passionate, and I think if he's ready to take the next step in his life, then so be it. And if he's not, then he'll be back."

Note: With rookies reporting Monday to training camp, the Ravens have two unsigned draft picks, offensive tackle Michael Oher (first round) and defensive end-linebacker Paul Kruger (second round). It is believed that the Ravens are closer to signing Oher.

MadImmortalMan

Hmmm. Let's just get somebody...tall.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

JacobL

QuoteThe Drew Bennett era in Baltimore ends
Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2009 10:12 PM ET
The Drew Bennett experiment in Baltimore has ended.

After a grand total of two days.

Bennett worked out for the team on Friday and signed a one-year deal.  General Manager Ozzie Newsome raved about Bennett.

And now Bennett is retiring.

The news first surfaced on the Twitter page of ESPN Future's Adam Schefter.

Bennett's agent is circulating a statement regarding the situation.  We've received a copy of it.

"After returning home from Baltimore this weekend, a previous knee injury flared up, making me realizing that I am unable to play another NFL season," Bennett said in the statement.  "Therefore, I have decided to retire from the National Football League.  I want to thank coach [John] Harbaugh, [offensive coordinator Cam] Cameron and Ozzie Newsome for offering me the opportunity to be a part of their outstanding organization, and apologize to them for this unfortunate situation.

"The Ravens are a first-class organization that I was truly excited to join.  After an offseason of workouts and rehab, I thought I was ready to play again, but it became apparent over this weekend that while my mind is willing, my body will not be able to make it through another NFL season.  I have been blessed to have the opportunity to play in the NFL for as long as I have, but it is time for me to move on to the next chapter in my life."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/26/the-drew-bennett-era-in-baltimore-ends/

sbr

sbr

In other shocking news Brett Favre has not decided if he wants t play football yet.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txvikingsfavre&prov=st&type=lgns

Neil

I guess Harbaugh's camp is really intimidating.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Alcibiades

Quote from: sbr on July 26, 2009, 09:58:30 PM
In other shocking news Brett Favre has not decided if he wants t play football yet.

Gawd he is really milking it.   :rolleyes:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Neil

Quote from: Alcibiades on July 26, 2009, 10:06:52 PM

Favre has really devastated his legacy.  He went from being a good ole' boy who was gunslinging for love of the game, to a hard-bitten, calculating media-whore.

sbr

Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2009, 10:08:25 PM

Favre has really devastated his legacy.  He went from being a good ole' boy who was gunslinging for love of the game, to a hard-bitten, calculating media-whore.

It is too bad, for almost all of his career, up to just last year, he was one of the things to love about the NFL; you could he loved to play the game, he was a good ole boy, never missed a game, played the day after his father passed away and was one of, if not the best ever.  Now no matter how fair it is, he will always be seen as the guy who couldn't make a decision, or was an attention whore. 

Neil

Quote from: sbr on July 26, 2009, 10:19:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2009, 10:08:25 PM

It is too bad, for almost all of his career, up to just last year, he was one of the things to love about the NFL; you could he loved to play the game, he was a good ole boy, never missed a game, played the day after his father passed away and was one of, if not the best ever.  Now no matter how fair it is, he will always be seen as the guy who couldn't make a decision, or was an attention whore.
Yeah.  I mean, the assholes in the media are fueling the whole thing, what with them running their mouths about how every game he plays could be his last in a particular stadium, or on Monday Night Football, or whatever, for the last three or four years.  I remember one December where the Packers got raped to death by Kyle Boller's Ravens on Monday Night Football, and Madden and Michaels wouldn't shut up about how it might be Favre's last Monday Night.  And they were still doing it this year.

CountDeMoney