News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2009, 05:51:18 PM
Ah fuck.  That's really terrible news for the team.

Yeah, puts them in one hell of a hole at WR, as well as Flacco's 2nd year development.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2009, 05:07:12 PM
That leaves the Ravens with Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams as their top wide receivers.

Wow.

CountDeMoney

Fuck it, they may not have any choice but to make a play for Marshall now, even with the contract ending next season.

MadBurgerMaker

Hey Plax is still available, right?  :P

Edit:  While they're at it, if they sign Burress, they might as well go after Matt Jones as well. 

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2009, 05:53:05 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2009, 05:51:18 PM
Ah fuck.  That's really terrible news for the team.

Yeah, puts them in one hell of a hole at WR, as well as Flacco's 2nd year development.
Someone drive a dumptruck full of money up to Brandon Marshall's house, stat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sophie Scholl

In response to the reports that WR Derrick Mason is retiring, here is a statement from the Ravens Senior Vice President of Public and Community Relations, Kevin Byrne: "For any player to retire, he has to send a letter to the NFL stating this. Derrick Mason has not done that."
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

sbr

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on July 13, 2009, 06:33:05 PM
In response to the reports that WR Derrick Mason is retiring, here is a statement from the Ravens Senior Vice President of Public and Community Relations, Kevin Byrne: "For any player to retire, he has to send a letter to the NFL stating this. Derrick Mason has not done that."
Sounds like someone grasping at straws.

Big blow to the Ravens though.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: sbr on July 13, 2009, 06:48:29 PM

From the Ravens' Facebook updates.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

sbr

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on July 13, 2009, 08:30:43 PM
Quote from: sbr on July 13, 2009, 06:48:29 PM

From the Ravens' Facebook updates.

I wasn't doubting the validity of the statement, just saying that it was wishful thinking.  The formal letter to the NFL is the last step; it isn't likely to be sent the day the decision is made, doesn't mean the player has to keep playing.

Sophie Scholl

Suggs signs a 6-year deal. :)  No details yet on how much it's for.

Neil

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on July 15, 2009, 02:21:50 PM
Rumourmill says $63 million.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 15, 2009, 02:50:29 PM
Quote from: Judas Iscariot on July 15, 2009, 02:21:50 PM
Rumourmill says $63 million.

QuoteRavens, Suggs reach six-year, $63M deal
Linebacker will receive $33 million in bonuses; Newsome: 'This is a good day for the Ravens franchise'

In signing Terrell Suggs to one of the most lucrative contracts -- six years, $63 million -- in NFL history Wednesday, the Ravens contend that it is more of an investment in the future than a reward for his first six seasons with the team.

His $33 million in bonus money tops all defensive players and ranks only behind Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who received $34 million in bonuses.

Suggs' $38 million in guaranteed money exceeds the totals for Jared Allen ($31 million) and Dwight Freeney ($30 million), two pass rushers who have NFL sacks titles (something Suggs has yet to accomplish).

So, did the Ravens overpay Suggs?

"Just because you sign one of these mega deals, I think he understands it doesn't mean that you've arrived as a player," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said.

"And a lot of what we've done in signing 'Sizzle' to this, is we're anticipating the player he's going to be over the course of the next six years."

Making him the highest-paid linebacker in the league was probably the only way the Ravens could have locked up Suggs before Wednesday, the NFL deadline for teams to sign their franchise tag players to a new deal.

Suggs, 26, would have been among the top five free agents next offseason and would likely have received similar offers from other teams.

An emerging playmaker, Suggs went to his third Pro Bowl after leading the Ravens with eight sacks and returning two interceptions for touchdowns. He has recorded 53 career sacks, which is second-most in team history and ranks eighth in the NFL since 2003.

Suggs is also durable, never missing a game in his six-year career. In his 101st straight game (the longest current streak on the team), he sacked Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger twice in the AFC championship game despite playing with a shoulder injury.

That's why the Ravens were willing to give him a $10.1 million signing bonus and a $23 million option bonus due in March. He is scheduled to make $40 million over the first two years of the deal.

"I'm just looking forward to showing them that they didn't make a mistake and that you've got the right guy," Suggs said. "I'm only 26 years of age, and my best years are ahead of me. I can only get smarter as my years of experience pile up."

The Ravens and Suggs have been negotiating a long-term deal since February 2008, the first time the team used the franchise tag on Suggs. The team put the tag on Suggs again earlier this year.

The sides made significant progress 2 1/2 weeks ago, when the Ravens increased the guaranteed money, a league source said. An agreement was reached around midnight Wednesday in a three-way call with Suggs, his agent and general manager Ozzie Newsome.

"This is a good day for the Ravens franchise," Newsome said.

If no deal had been struck on Wednesday, the sides would have had to wait until after the season to sign a deal and Suggs would have earned $10.2 million this year under the tag.

Throughout the past few weeks, Suggs had publicly expressed optimism that the deal would get done.

"I wasn't sure this deal was going to get done even though I kept saying it was close," he said. "I thought the chances were about 50-50, and I definitely didn't want to get franchised again.

He added, "I am glad it is over, and now we can get back to football. Getting this done took compromises on both ends. I wanted to stay in purple and black, the Ravens wanted to keep me in purple and black, and they stepped up and showed me that. This means a lot to me and my family. Now I can be a Raven for the better part of my career."

It was only a year ago when there was a little acrimony when the Ravens used the tag on Suggs.

The sides even settled on a new designation for the tag, "a hybrid defensive end-linebacker," before reaching arbitration. It allowed Suggs to get paid more than a franchise linebacker but less than a defensive end.

He then attended some meetings during offseason workouts and reported back to play in the final two preseason games, which gave him enough time to get ready for the regular-season opener.

Last season, Suggs led the Ravens in sacks for the third time in his career and finished third on the team with a career-best 102 tackles.

"I was already excited to start training camp, and now having Terrell there makes it that much better," Harbaugh said. "He's a foundation for our defense to stay at the highest level. Having him in training camp will take him to higher levels."

The Ravens have a history of locking up their first-round picks who live up to expectations. They have given sizable deals to Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden, Chris McAlister, Todd Heap and Ed Reed over the years.

That's why Suggs said he could never envision leaving the Ravens.

"Some people just fit the Raven identity, and I'm convinced that I'm one of them," Suggs said. "Some people, when they retire -- like Dick Butkus and Walter Payton, they'll always be Bears. Tom Brady will always be a Patriot. Ray Lewis, he'll always be a Raven. I think this has given me the opportunity to solidify that I will always be a Raven."

MadImmortalMan

I heard on the radio that Favre is practicing with a high school team in Miss and is stringing the Vikes along until training camp starts to decide if he's coming back yet again.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 16, 2009, 11:03:27 AM
I heard on the radio that Favre is practicing with a high school team in Miss and is stringing the Vikes along until training camp starts to decide if he's coming back yet again.
The sports media is pretty tiresome, the way they allow themselves to be manipulated, year in and year out.