News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Hobbit to go forward

Started by Grallon, September 08, 2009, 10:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

My wife particularily likes going out to the movie theatre.  And she has a point - it's a nice way to get out of the house, which renting or buying a DVD utterly fails to do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2009, 01:59:54 PM
My wife particularily likes going out to the movie theatre.  And she has a point - it's a nice way to get out of the house, which renting or buying a DVD utterly fails to do.

It is indeed. But considerably more trouble when you have young kids.

Turns out three year olds don't like Tarantino much.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2009, 02:06:22 PM

Good thing.  It would be creepy if your three year old son started referring to you as 'the gimp'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

So getting out of the house is an objective on it's own? F that. There are things you can't do while watching a movie if you're in public. Like play drinking games in the theater or watch in the nude. Why burn gas to see a movie when you can see it at home anyway? The only reason to see a movie in the theater is if you don't want to wait until it comes out on DVD or Netflix. Or if it's an event thing like Rocky Horror.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sophie Scholl

Or if it's a particularly special effects laden film where a high quality theater will add to the film, as opposed to a drama or comedy where the bigger screen, better speakers, and better projector add little.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on September 09, 2009, 12:36:00 PM
Is this about Dildo Baggins, the Bobbit?

You mean Dildo Saggins, the Throbbit?

:blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2009, 02:17:50 PM

Good thing.  It would be creepy if your three year old son started referring to you as 'the gimp'.

I've been called worse. 

Just the other day he called me "the Vulture of Absurdia".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

It would be, as it would make one question what Carl had seen Malthus doing...:x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2009, 03:05:23 PM

Ok you are just making that one up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

I've been called worse. 

:lol: Why?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2009, 03:08:38 PM

Ok you are just making that one up.

Nope.

To be fair, he had just read this book (well, had it read to him) the night before:

http://www.panmacmillan.com/Titles/displayPage.asp?PageTitle=Individual%20Title&BookID=379596

... which features a vulture.

Jaron

The first born of Eru are beautiful and a wonder to behold!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 09, 2009, 12:42:12 PM
I think Bored of the Rings would be a good movie to make. Sadly it wouldn't be a movie that would be made well.  Probably be destroyed by the hacks who purchased the Scary Movie franchise.

Never laughed so hard with a book in my life.
Would never work;  too many oblique and not-so-oblique references to the 60s.  It would be lost to anyone under 40.

Darth Wagtaros

I don't know. I enjoyed it quite a bit and I'm 33 (almost).  But you are right int hat it is dated.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

On the other hand, I don't ever have anybody kicking the back of my sofa, or dazzling urbanites talking on their cell phones while beating their crying children with flip flops.