And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on June 17, 2009, 07:02:21 PM
Denver imploding. :cool:
Indeed.  The one team who might be worse than the Jets will probably be the Broncos.

Hopefully the Ravens can profit from Denver's meltdown.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

Yeah, whoever gets Marshall gets 2-3 games before he slaps some tart and ends up with the rest of the year off to think about what he has done.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2009, 07:45:01 PM
Yeah, whoever gets Marshall gets 2-3 games before he slaps some tart and ends up with the rest of the year off to think about what he has done.
Ray Lewis can straighten him out.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

That is actually what i've heard from one of their players this past week :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Vince

Quote from: Neil on June 17, 2009, 07:18:04 PM
Indeed.  The one team who might be worse than the Jets will probably be the Broncos.

Pfft.  Rex Ryan will lead the Jets to a Super Bowl. 

Neil

Quote from: Vince on June 18, 2009, 07:17:02 AM

Who's going to throw the ball?

sbr

Quote from: Neil on June 18, 2009, 08:12:52 AM
Quote from: Vince on June 18, 2009, 07:17:02 AM

Who's going to throw the ball?
Kellen Clemens

CountDeMoney

WTF

MIAMI - Former NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar has filed for bankruptcy protection in Miami.

Kosar's Chapter 11 filing Friday lists assets between $1 million and $10 million and liabilities of between $10 million and $50 million.

Kosar owes almost $1.5 million in "unsecured debt" to the Cleveland Browns, who he played for from 1985 to 1993. Kosar also owes his ex-wife Babette $3 million and $725,000 (from a personal loan) to the owner of the Cleveland Gladiators of the Arena Football League. He owes a bank more than $9 million for bad real estate deals.

The 45-year-old Kosar got divorced in 2007 and last year saw his steakhouse go out of business.

Kosar, who also played for Dallas and Miami, retired from the NFL in 1996.

Neil

Well, it's pretty common for NFL players to have major financial problems after they retire.  Unless you're Dan Marino, the endorsements dry up.  It will be pretty unlikely for big QB stars going forward, simply because they can expect to earn over a hundred million dollars in salary and endorsements over their career, and white people have a hard time going through that kind of money.

Sophie Scholl

The way DHB is going, he might not even get signed.  He's spent almost all of the OTA period with various hamstring issues, and the few times he was on the field he looked like crap.  That would be icing on the damned cake to celebrate Raider incompetence.  The media would have a fething field day with it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Neil

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on June 22, 2009, 07:43:28 PM
The way DHB is going, he might not even get signed.  He's spent almost all of the OTA period with various hamstring issues, and the few times he was on the field he looked like crap.  That would be icing on the damned cake to celebrate Raider incompetence.  The media would have a fething field day with it.
To be fair, the media already had a field day on draft weekend.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2009, 07:50:29 PM
To be fair, the media already had a field day on draft weekend.
True enough, but this would send them into a frothing frenzy.  Damned Raider haters. <_<  Of course, it might be the smart move.  If he can't hack it, it'll save having to pay out a first round salary and all the cap chaos that that causes.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Almost there...almost there....

QuotePro Bowl linebacker Terrell Suggs said Friday that he is nearing a long-term deal with the Ravens, a contract that surprisingly won't make him the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL.

The league deadline to reach a new contract with players who have received the franchise tag is July 15. If no deal can be struck, Suggs would play under the franchise tag for a second straight season, earning $10.2 million this year.

"We are close to an agreement. We just have a few little things to work out," Suggs told The Baltimore Sun. "I don't want to go into great detail, but it's things like the years of the agreement and incentives, but the basic framework has been done."

Suggs, 26, is considered one of the rising defensive stars in the NFL. Some NFL observers have contended Suggs would test the free-agent market in March, when he would be one of the top players available.

But the Ravens' top pass rusher said Friday that he'd "be very surprised if this contract isn't done soon." He also denied rumors that this contract will make him one of the highest paid defensive players in the NFL.

"No, that's not true," he said. "But that's cool if people want to believe that. Being one of the highest paid players has never been my motivation. I just wanted to be paid what is fair, what I think I've earned."

A Ravens spokesman had no comment.

There has been speculation that Suggs is looking for a contract similar to the one given in 2007 to the Indianapolis Colts' Dwight Freeney, whose six-year, $72 million ($30 million guaranteed) made him the highest paid defender in league history at the time.

"I wish," Suggs said of getting a Freeney-type deal. "Again, I don't want to go into details but once it comes out I think everybody will be shocked, and they are going to say, what took so long to get this done?"

After being tagged last year, Suggs skipped all of training camp, missing 23 days of practice. He still made his third Pro Bowl last season, leading the Ravens with eight sacks and finishing third on the team with a career-best 102 tackles.

But Suggs said he wouldn't be the last one to arrive this year.

"I'll be there when camp opens," he said. "I'd like to be there because this is where the fans get robbed if a player doesn't report on time because it hurts his team."

Suggs said he has been cleared to practice at the start of training camp. His right shoulder -- which he injured in the AFC divisional playoff game at Tennessee -- is fully recovered.

"It took me longer to start training this off season because of the shoulder," he said, "but the shoulder is fine."

Sophie Scholl

Here's to hoping it goes through.  Damned punks like Peppers make way too much money and upset the balance.  I like seeing guys like Nnamdi and Suggs make deserving bank though.  If it's going to be paid out those who deserve it should get it.

Savonarola

From prideofdetroit.com:

Quote•Thanks to a new lifting program, the Lions' upper-body strength is up 21%.  That's great to hear.

It is indeed, I expect the Lions to win 21% more games this year.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock