And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 06:40:35 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2009, 06:25:47 PM
Bungles signed Roy Williams, so I assume he'll hit hard, yet play shitty pass defense like he normally does.
That's a mistake on your part.  It would be safer to assume that he'll horsecollar a few guys, giving up first downs on critical drives, and then get knocked out for the season by an injury (possibly sustained while horsecollaring someone).

If he horsecollars at least 1 Steeler, it will all be worth it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2009, 06:43:00 PM
Bungles signed Roy Williams, so I assume he'll hit hard, yet play shitty pass defense like he normally does.
That's a mistake on your part.  It would be safer to assume that he'll horsecollar a few guys, giving up first downs on critical drives, and then get knocked out for the season by an injury (possibly sustained while horsecollaring someone).

It certainly would be amusing to see Hines Ward's shinbone explode out of his leg.  The downside to this is that he might try that shit on Derrick Mason.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 06:45:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2009, 06:43:00 PM

It certainly would be amusing to see Hines Ward's shinbone explode out of his leg.  The downside to this is that he might try that shit on Derrick Mason.

This is true; he's got three broken legs under his belt, two more and he's an ace.  So look out.

Savonarola

QuoteFord ranked second-worst NFL owner; Ilitch No. 1 in NHL
The Detroit News
Mike Ilitch is the best owner in the NHL, according to Sports Illustrated, while William Clay Ford is ranked the second-worst in the NFL.

SI.com ranked the five best and five worst owners in the four major sports using the following criteria:

* Team's success or failure on the field.

* Willingness to spend money to improve the team.

* Stability and capabilities of the front office and management.

* Amenities at the team's venue.

* Club's culture and interactivity with fans.

Here are the rankings:

NFL

Five Best

1. Rooney Family, Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Robert Kraft, New England Patriots

3. Mara and Tisch Families, New York Giants

4. Jeffrey Lurie, Philadelphia Eagles

5. Steve Bisciotti, Baltimore Ravens

Five Worst

1. Al Davis, Oakland Raiders

2. William Clay Ford, Detroit Lions

3. Dan Snyder, Washington Redskins

4. Mike Brown, Cincinnati Bengals

5. Denise DeBartolo York, San Francisco 49ers

MLB

Five Best

1. John Henry/Tom Werner/Larry Lucchino, Boston Red Sox

2. Arturo Moreno, Los Angeles Angels

3. William DeWitt, St. Louis Cardinals

4. Steinbrenner Family, New York Yankees

5. Stuart Sternberg, Tampa Bay Rays

Five Worst

1. Peter Angelos, Baltimore Orioles

2. Tom Hicks, Texas Rangers

3. David Glass, Kansas City Royals

4. Jeffrey Loria, Florida Marlins

5. Ted Lerner, Washington Nationals

NBA

Five Best

1. Jerry Buss, Los Angeles Lakers

2. Peter Holt, San Antonio Spurs

3. Mark Cuban, Dallas Mavericks

4. Les Alexander, Houston Rockets

5. Dan Gilbert, Cleveland Cavaliers

Five Worst

1. Donald T. Sterling, Los Angeles Clippers

2. Cablevision/James Dolan, New York Knicks

3. Michael Heisley, Memphis Grizzlies

4. Chris Cohan, Golden State Warriors

5. Robert Johnson/Michael Jordan, Charlotte Bobcats

NHL

Five Best

1. Mike Ilitch, Detroit Red Wings

2. Jeffrey Vanderbeek, New Jersey Devils

3. Mario Lemieux/Ron Burkle, Pittsburgh Penguins

4. San Jose Sports and Entertainment, San Jose Sharks

5. Peter Karmanos, Carolina Hurricanes

Five Worst

1. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Toronto Maple Leafs

2. Alan Cohen, Florida Panthers

3. Charles Wang, New York Islanders

4. Atlanta Spirit, Atlanta Thrashers

5. Predator Holdings, LLC Nashville Predators

I feel bad for WC Ford; he tried so hard to be the worst owner in the NFL and still came up short.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

QuoteNFL

Five Worst

1. Al Davis, Oakland Raiders

2. William Clay Ford, Detroit Lions

3. Dan Snyder, Washington Redskins

MLB

Five Worst

1. Peter Angelos, Baltimore Orioles

I am so blessed.  :cry:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Is this currently worst, or historically worst? If the latter I'd like to nominate the Vikings for their 1337 trading skillz. And don't forget:

With the second pick in the 1984 NBA Draft, the Portland Trailblazers select: Sam Bowie!!    :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 12, 2009, 04:04:49 PM
Is this currently worst, or historically worst? If the latter I'd like to nominate the Vikings for their 1337 trading skillz. And don't forget:

With the second pick in the 1984 NBA Draft, the Portland Trailblazers select: Sam Bowie!!    :P

Current worst, I think.  All the owners listed are currently active.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 12, 2009, 04:04:49 PM

hey that pick was reasonable when it was made, it just turned out horribly.  :cry:

citizen k

CANYON, Texas (AP)—Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf has been indicted by a Randall County grand jury on drug and burglary charges. The indictment handed up Wednesday in Canyon charged the 33-year-old former San Diego Chargers quarterback and former West Texas A&M quarterbacks coach with one count of burglary to a habitation, seven counts of obtaining a controlled substance by fraud and one count of delivery of a simulated controlled substance.
The indictment said Leaf presented an incomplete medical history to several physicians between January 2008 and September 2008 to get or try to obtain the painkiller Hydrocodone.
It was not clear whether Leaf had an attorney. Canyon police Lt. Dale Davis said Leaf is suspected of breaking into a Canyon apartment on Oct. 30 and stealing Hydrocodone, which had been prescribed to an injured football player. "There were signs of a forced entry," Davis said. "A window in the back of the home was (damaged)."
The count of delivery of a simulated controlled substance alleges Leaf gave an individual a substance he said was Hydrocodone but was not that drug.
James Farren, Randall County criminal district attorney, said Leaf has been undergoing drug rehabilitation in British Columbia, the Amarillo Globe-News reported.
Farren told the newspaper that efforts were under way to try to convince Leaf to return to the United States on his own.
"We have not found any evidence implicating anyone other than Mr. Leaf in this case ... but believe there's additional evidence implicating him in other events," Farren said. He would not elaborate.
Leaf, a Great Falls, Mont., native, led Washington State to the Pacific-10 Conference championship and Rose Bowl appearance. The Chargers made him the second pick of the 1998 NFL draft. He played for the Chargers from 1998-2000 and also played for the Dallas Cowboys in 2001. He threw for 3,666 yards and 14 touchdowns in his career.

Admiral Yi

Has the Michael Vick release already been mentioned?

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2009, 01:56:26 AM
Has the Michael Vick release already been mentioned?

Yes by you.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

The Falcons released Vick, I'm surprised they didn't do that already, it wasn't like anyone would trade anything for him.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31314880/ns/sports-nfl/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease.

Reverend Ray Ray would show him the light.

QuoteThe Ravens have not contacted the Denver Broncos about disgruntled wide receiver Brandon Marshall, but they are doing their homework on the Pro Bowl playmaker, a team source said Tuesday.

It might take first- and third-round draft picks to acquire Marshall, one of the top young wide receivers in the game, but he would immediately shore up an area that is considered a weakness for the Ravens.

The Chicago Bears, who traded for Denver quarterback Jay Cutler this offseason, also might be interested in Marshall. It's not known whether the Broncos are considering trading Marshall, but they dealt Cutler when he asked them to.

Nicknamed "the Beast," Marshall has caught more than 100 passes each of the past two seasons. The major concern with Marshall is his lengthy list of off-the-field issues, which includes 13 police incidents since 2004 and a pending misdemeanor battery charge.

The Ravens had trade talks for the Arizona Cardinals' Anquan Boldin two months ago in an attempt to improve at wide receiver.

"We're interested in anybody that can help our team," coach John Harbaugh said Tuesday. "He [Marshall] plays for the Broncos, and he's under contract. He's not a guy that we're concerned with right now. We'll just have to see what happens."

Marshall requested a trade from the Broncos after skipping the team's mandatory minicamp last week. His holdout is the result of medical trust issues with the Broncos (he said the team misdiagnosed his hip injury last season) and a desire for a new contract.

Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, couldn't be reached for comment, but Marshall addressed his trade request on his Web site, writing: "To whom it may concern. Life is filled with change, and where I am in my life now change is probably best. It's hard leaving an organization ran by one of the best owners in all of sports, and someone who's been there for me through my ups and downs. The hardest thing was hearing Mr. B [Pat Bowlen] wish me luck in the future, but we both came to the conclusion that this is probably the best thing for me to grow on and off the field.

"I thank the Denver fans who embraced my emotion and play on the field and showing me love every time I step outside my door."

If traded, Marshall, whose contract expires after the season (unless the NFL goes into an uncapped season), would probably seek a deal averaging $9 million per season.

This could be a risky move based on Marshall's legal history, which includes charges ranging from domestic violence to driving under the influence to retail theft.

Marshall faces a trial later this summer on two misdemeanor battery charges stemming from an altercation with his former girlfriend.

"Their background matters," Harbaugh said. "We want to bring guys in here that are what we consider Ravens. So, any player that we bring in here, we've got to be convinced that he's a man of integrity, a high-character guy, and that our players can respect him in the locker room. That's going to be true whether it's in a draft or free agency or any guys we choose to re-sign. We look at that real hard because we think those are the type of people that you win with, and we're never going to compromise on that."

Another issue with Marshall is his health. He had hip surgery on March 31 and hopes to be ready by the start of training camp in late July.

But Marshall has been rehabilitating his hip at his Orlando, Fla., home because of his problems with the Broncos' medical staff.

On his Web site, Marshall wrote: "It's kind of funny now but some of my coaches thought I was getting 'big-headed' and just didn't want to practice but I needed some fine tuning.

"What made last year so weird was that I got two MRIs, one in camp and the second around week six and was told nothing was wrong but come to find out THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM after all," Marshall added. "LOL. I guess that's part of the business. So after all that, I'm now even more excited about playing this season at 100%. This year I can help my team more and hopefully we can get to the playoffs."

Still, this could be the Ravens' best chance at adding a big-play receiver. Marshall, 6 feet 4, 230 pounds, would appear to be a perfect fit for the Ravens, who could team him with strong-armed quarterback Joe Flacco for the next decade.

In his three-year career in Denver, Marshall has caught 226 passes for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns and built a reputation for breaking tackles for long gains.

There are question marks regarding the Ravens' receivers. The top three -- Derrick Mason (shoulder), Mark Clayton (foot) and Demetrius Williams (ankle) -- have missed significant time in offseason minicamps.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."