News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

http://www.thebrushback.com/draftgrades.htm

QuotePete Carroll must feel pretty stupid. He said Sanchez wasn't even ready for the NFL, and the kid turned out to be the greatest quarterback in the history of the game. Grade: A plus plus

QuoteThis surprise selection was actually intended as a smokescreen until the Raiders realized you had to keep whatever players you selected. Grade: F

QuoteEverybody's criticizing the choice of Moreno here. Perhaps the Broncos should have drafted someone the experts were higher on, like Vince Young or Reggie Bush. Grade: D

QuoteJerry is a tough, passionate warrior who will immediately upgrade the Falcons front seven. But he's not Mark Sanchez, so fuck him. Grade: F minus minus

:D

Barrister

Apparently the Jets released Brett Favre, thus making him eligible to sign with any team he might choose if he decided to unretire again.

:shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2009, 11:12:07 AM
Apparently the Jets released Brett Favre, thus making him eligible to sign with any team he might choose if he decided to unretire again.

That has-been should just stay retired.  He's got nothing left, and he's only damaging himself by staying on.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 29, 2009, 11:22:25 AM

That has-been should just stay retired.  He's got nothing left, and he's only damaging himself by staying on.

He'd be an upgrade from Tavaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels... :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2009, 11:31:20 AM
For the first couple weeks, maybe.  As the season drags on, and he turns into an interception machine, you might rethink that.  I guess it boils down to what do you want from the Vikings?  Would you like them to try and develop in areas that they can improve?  Or would you rather use a roster spot and a chunk of the salary cap on a player who can't get you to the playoffs?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

JacobL

Quote from: JacobL on April 28, 2009, 08:51:56 PM
QuoteJets waived QB Brett Favre off their reserve/retired list.
This could mean nothing, or it could mean something. Players waived off the retired list become free agents, and there have been some rumors lately that Favre is contemplating a return. Something had to spur this transaction, because the Jets would've just left Favre on reserve/retired otherwise. It's possible Favre wants to sign a one-year contract to retire as a Packer. It's also possible that the Vikings want him again.

According to rotoworld

:lol:

You don't say? :P

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2009, 11:31:20 AM
There's a few servicable quarterbacks still on the open market or availible for minimal cost from teams where they're residing as second or third stringers.  All of whom probably have a better chance of lasting a full season and costing a tiny fraction of the amount Favre would command in salary figures.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Ozzie stockpiles Mormons.

QuoteA few days before the start of their first minicamp, the Ravens shuffled their quarterback group, signing John Beck to a one-year contract and cutting third-stringer Todd Bouman.

Beck, a 2007 second-round pick of the Miami Dolphins, is expected to compete against Troy Smith for the Ravens' backup quarterback job.

"He was a very productive college player, but what also impressed our scouts was how competitive he is," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Monday. "We like to bring in good athletes who love to compete and he fits that."

Beck, 27, who was released by the Dolphins last week, reportedly drew interest from six teams. He eventually chose the Ravens over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

katmai

I'm shocked, shocked i say to hear this.

QuoteReport: Favre to meet with Vikings coach Childress

1 hour, 6 minutes ago

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—Just when Brett Favre looked to finally be out, the Minnesota Vikings could be pulling him back in.

Citing an anonymous source “with direct knowledge of the discussions between the two parties,” ESPN reported Tuesday that Favre is scheduled to meet with Vikings coach Brad Childress later this week about a possible comeback with Minnesota.

Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, did not immediately return a phone call to his Mississippi office left by The Associated Press.

Childress and Vikings spokesman Bob Hagan also did not immediately return messages.

Both Favre and Cook have said this spring that Favre intends to stay retired. But Favre’s statement after he was released by the New York Jets last week left the door open.

“At this time, I am retired and have no intention of returning to football,” he said.

Those three little words—“At this time”—set off rampant speculation that he was indeed considering a second return to action.

Childress said Friday he had been too busy to concentrate on Favre, but did acknowledge the subject would soon be broached.

“We talk about everything,” Childress said then, “from what’s going on in the United States on the front page today. … We talk about everything, so yeah, I’m sure we’ll talk about that.”

It wouldn’t be the first time.

Favre spent 16 seasons in Green Bay, retiring in 2008 after leading the Packers to the NFC title game. He changed his mind a few months later, which set up a long and messy soap opera that ultimately led to his trade to the Jets.

It was believed all along that Favre, after hearing Green Bay’s plans to go with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, wanted to come to NFC North rival Minnesota so he could exact some revenge on the Packers.

But the Packers would have none of it. The team filed tampering charges against the Vikings, alleging improper contact between Favre and Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, a friend of Favre’s from his days as Green Bay’s quarterbacks coach.

The league cleared the Vikings of all charges. Green Bay included in the trade to New York a clause that made it all but impossible for the Jets to turn around and ship Favre to the Vikings.

But when the Jets granted the 39-year-old Favre his release last week, it made him a free agent who is eligible to sign with any team he chooses. And many experts say the Vikings are a quarterback away from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

With unproven veterans Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson slated to duke it out in training camp for the starting job, it would come as no surprise that the Vikings would at least consider adding a three-time MVP who holds the career records in every major statistical passing category, including interceptions.

But the move would not come without questions.

After an impressive start to his first and only season in New York—he threw a career-high six touchdown passes in a win over Arizona in Week 4— Favre’s production dipped considerably over the final five games while he dealt with shoulder and biceps injuries. He threw nine interceptions in that span and the Jets stumbled to a 1-4 finish.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Well, looks like the Vikings are ready to write off their season.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

sbr

Nope, not again.

QuoteThe Minnesota Vikings will not sign free-agent quarterback Brett Favre(notes), a source close to the team told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

In a phone call that took place sometime in the last day, the source said Favre told Vikings coach Brad Childress that he wanted to remain retired. Favre is expected to publicly explain his decision soon.

Favre, who announced his first retirement in March 2008 after spending 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers, decided to resume his career last summer and was traded to the New York Jets in August. After one season in New York, Favre retired again and was subsequently released by the Jets on April 29.

Just days after his release from the Jets, speculation began that the Vikings were interested in bringing in a veteran to compete with Sage Rosenfels(notes), who was acquired this offseason from the Houston Texans. Rosenfels is atop the depth chart heading into training camp, with Tarvaris Jackson and John David Booty(notes) also on the roster.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Alyd_f3QkLt.._r4ny8UHOJDubYF?slug=ys-favre050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Thank goodness.

katmai

Heh let's see if he's singing same song in July.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Bungles signed Roy Williams, so I assume he'll hit hard, yet play shitty pass defense like he normally does.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2009, 06:25:47 PM
Bungles signed Roy Williams, so I assume he'll hit hard, yet play shitty pass defense like he normally does.
That's a mistake on your part.  It would be safer to assume that he'll horsecollar a few guys, giving up first downs on critical drives, and then get knocked out for the season by an injury (possibly sustained while horsecollaring someone).