And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Vince, March 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: charliebear on July 23, 2009, 08:07:16 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings?GT1=39002

The Ravens, after appearing in the AFC Championship game, are ranked 12th, behind 4 other teams that, oh, didn't appear in the AFC Championship game.
Once again, the league and MSSM  conspire against Baltimore.  Typical.

Strix

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 08:56:49 AM
The Steelers are going to have a hard time repeating when all the other women that Worthlessberger raped start coming out of the woodwork to get their cheques.

Is the Raven's defense planning a press conference or something soon?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Strix on July 23, 2009, 04:14:42 PM
Is the Raven's defense planning a press conference or something soon?

Nah, they've raped Rapistburger before.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2009, 04:14:37 PM

Ah, it's that time of year again.  I was starting to miss the whining.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 23, 2009, 04:19:01 PM

Ah, it's that time of year again.  I was starting to miss the whining.

Strap yourself in, baby.  I'm just getting warmed up.

Neil

Quote from: charliebear on July 23, 2009, 08:07:16 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings?GT1=39002

The Ravens, after appearing in the AFC Championship game, are ranked 12th, behind 4 other teams that, oh, didn't appear in the AFC Championship game.
I assume that they're considering Mason retired.  If Mason goes and they don't sign a legitimate receiver, there's a legitimate knock on the team.  Unless the Ravens are going to start videotaping opposing players in the toilets, Patriots-style, they'll have a hard time making it to the Superbowl with Clayton and Williams.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 06:36:42 PMI assume that they're considering Mason retired.  If Mason goes and they don't sign a legitimate receiver, there's a legitimate knock on the team.  Unless the Ravens are going to start videotaping opposing players in the toilets, Patriots-style, they'll have a hard time making it to the Superbowl with Clayton and Williams.

He's been harping all year about extending his contract past this season, which they said they wouldn't talk about.
He had the most serious surgery of his career after last season.
One of his best friends blew his brains out, and ruined his summer.
Harbaugh's camp is not the Camp Cream Puff they were used to under Billick, and to be avoided at all costs.

He'll be in camp by the 3rd preseason game.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2009, 06:53:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 06:36:42 PMI assume that they're considering Mason retired.  If Mason goes and they don't sign a legitimate receiver, there's a legitimate knock on the team.  Unless the Ravens are going to start videotaping opposing players in the toilets, Patriots-style, they'll have a hard time making it to the Superbowl with Clayton and Williams.

He's been harping all year about extending his contract past this season, which they said they wouldn't talk about.
He had the most serious surgery of his career after last season.
One of his best friends blew his brains out, and ruined his summer.
Harbaugh's camp is not the Camp Cream Puff they were used to under Billick, and to be avoided at all costs.

He'll be in camp by the 3rd preseason game.
I hope so.  The fact that he hasn't filed any paperwork is promising.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2009, 06:57:21 PM
I hope so.  The fact that he hasn't filed any paperwork is promising.

Personally, I think it was McNair's death that put that zap on his head.

QuoteOn Tuesday night, Harbaugh had a "man-to-man" talk with Mason at the receiver's house -- their first sitdown since Mason's retirement announcement on July 13 -- and they discussed everything from his family to the team to the death of Steve McNair.

Harbaugh told The Baltimore Sun that he couldn't put a percentage on the chances of Mason coming back.

"I don't have an opinion on whether he'll be back because I have no idea," Harbaugh said. "Nothing's changed and Derrick was very clear about that through our conversation.

"I'm hopeful that he'll be back because he's a good player. A Derrick Mason who is fully committed and focused on football makes us a better team."

Mason did not return phone calls from The Sun. His agent previously said the earliest Mason would speak to the media would be the end of the month.

Veteran players report to Ravens training camp Wednesday. The first full-team practice open to the public is July 31.

Asked whether the team has placed a timetable for Mason to make a final decision, Harbaugh said, "We're staying away from that now. That's between Derrick's agent and [general manager Ozzie Newsome]."

The Ravens are being very cautious not to pressure Mason. Because he probably would have been limited the first couple of weeks anyway (he is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery), the team could probably wait for Mason's decision until mid-August.

Team officials are likely taking this sensitive approach because they believe Mason's announcement was motivated by a personal situation. There had been speculation earlier that Mason, who is entering the final year of his contract, was trying to gain leverage for a new deal.

By the time Harbaugh had finished talking to Mason on Tuesday, he said it was clear that the receiver's announcement "wasn't a tactic of any kind."

"We love him and care about him," Harbaugh said. "I told him that we want him on our team but we respect his decision either way."
"I think Derrick will give us an honest decision," Harbaugh said. "If he comes back, it will be full-go, 100 percent. If he doesn't, it'll be full-go, 100 percent into the next phase of his life. He's kind of at a fork in the road and he wants to make the best possible decision."

MadImmortalMan

So, is one of the teams going to move to LA, or is that just a rumor?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 23, 2009, 07:41:26 PM

Rumor, just like every year.

sbr

The Ravens are going to suck, and it won't be because of their receivers.

CountDeMoney

2010 NFL Draft is gonna have some changes.

QuoteNFL shifts draft start to prime time
First round will take place on Thursday as event moves to three days

NEW YORK - The NFL is making its already popular draft even more television-friendly, moving the first round to Thursday night.

Next year's draft will switch from a two-day, weekend format to a three-day event with the opening round in prime time for the first time.

The NFL said Thursday that the first round will begin at 7:30 p.m. on April 22. The second and third rounds will open at 6:30 p.m. on Friday and the last four rounds will start Saturday morning.

The draft will continue to be televised by ESPN and NFL Network and held at Radio City Music Hall. It was a Saturday-Sunday event from 1995-2009.

Thursday is typically the most-watched night of television. A total of 39 million viewers watched the draft this year.

I don't like it.  No sir, not one bit.

Neil

Aren't they still doing real TV around the end of April?  Does the NFL really want to put the draft on and watch it get stomped out by CSI, or whatever the fuck it is that people watch on Thursdays?

It's not like the draft is really compelling television anyways.  Fifteen minutes of talking head assholes talking about how the pretty-boy QB that didn't go in the Top 5 has really slipped (complete with footage of said pretty-boy bursting into tears), followed by five seconds of interesting developments, as the new player is announced.

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 23, 2009, 07:41:26 PM

LA already has a professional football team.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."