And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2009

Started by fhdz, March 23, 2009, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Maladict on June 03, 2009, 04:00:33 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 03, 2009, 12:40:24 PM
Jesus fucking tits, that's a long bike ride.

I need the practice, the monster is looming on my calendar.
Your ass must be crazy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maladict

Quote from: Neil on July 21, 2009, 08:33:22 PM

Your ass must be crazy.

Don't know about crazy, but it sure was numb for a while.  :lol:
I did finish though, quite pleased about that given the fact that I only took up cycling in April.

Norgy

My ass just kinda went away, but I still have great big tummy.  :Embarrass:

swallow

Just tried a taster snowboarding session at the Manchester artificial snow slope.  Sweated oodles and feel stiff in all the right places without having any aching joints.  taught by an excellent teacher who looked about twelve and who tried hard to convert me and two little kids to the dark side. Yo.

Jaron

Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2009, 04:11:30 AM
My ass just kinda went away, but I still have great big tummy.  :Embarrass:

You're pathetic.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Maladict

Can't get myself to go out and do stuff, I need a new challenge. Suggestions, anyone?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maladict on August 03, 2009, 04:40:56 AM
Can't get myself to go out and do stuff, I need a new challenge. Suggestions, anyone?

http://eco-xsports.com/beast.php
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 03, 2009, 04:59:19 AM
http://eco-xsports.com/beast.php

Those ultramarathons are really appealing  :mmm:
But I have yet to complete a marathon. My knees fail me after 25km or so.  :cry:
Ageing sucks.

lustindarkness

Quote from: alfred russel on July 20, 2009, 04:52:35 PM
Quote from: PDH on July 20, 2009, 04:46:26 PM
10k is easy, I can do that in no time on my bike.

Pfft, you should see me drive it.

I guess I should give my current training routine, if I'm asking for advice.

Monday: 3 miles / 9 min pace
Tuesday: 3 miles / 9 min pace
Wednesday: tennis
Thursday:3 miles / 9 min pace
Friday: 3 miles / 9 min pace
Saturday: 7-8 miles / 11 min pace
Sunday: off

My theory is to bump up the distance on the 3 mile runs until I get to 5 miles, and then start speeding up. Except for the long run, I'm hurting a little after finishing (but not too bad). After the long run, my legs are tired but I'm not winded.
I discovered last year when I trained for the marathon that my old kness performed better with only 3 days of running but making sure they were quality workouts with purpose. For a 10k you don't need monster miles, you need speedwork. I'm no expert but I guess one day a week of intervals and one day of tempo, one day long run. If you run more than 3 times a week, the other days should be easy recovery days. For any goal I also recommend hills. Also, the training tools on runner's world are decent to come up with a training plan. Good luck.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 04, 2009, 10:09:55 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 20, 2009, 04:52:35 PM
Quote from: PDH on July 20, 2009, 04:46:26 PM
10k is easy, I can do that in no time on my bike.

Pfft, you should see me drive it.

I guess I should give my current training routine, if I'm asking for advice.

Monday: 3 miles / 9 min pace
Tuesday: 3 miles / 9 min pace
Wednesday: tennis
Thursday:3 miles / 9 min pace
Friday: 3 miles / 9 min pace
Saturday: 7-8 miles / 11 min pace
Sunday: off

My theory is to bump up the distance on the 3 mile runs until I get to 5 miles, and then start speeding up. Except for the long run, I'm hurting a little after finishing (but not too bad). After the long run, my legs are tired but I'm not winded.
I discovered last year when I trained for the marathon that my old kness performed better with only 3 days of running but making sure they were quality workouts with purpose. For a 10k you don't need monster miles, you need speedwork. I'm no expert but I guess one day a week of intervals and one day of tempo, one day long run. If you run more than 3 times a week, the other days should be easy recovery days. For any goal I also recommend hills. Also, the training tools on runner's world are decent to come up with a training plan. Good luck.

A marathon runner??? This forum seems to have a lot of fitness freaks considering it drew people from a computer game forum.

Thanks for the input--when I take a couple days off my knees feel a lot better. I was worried that I wouldn't get better on a 3 day schedule, but if it worked for you on a marathon I'm sure it will work on a 10k.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

I weighed in at 150 pounds this morning. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lucidor

Doing some running to stay in shape. I am currently in a town in rural Transylvania. My problem is with those free running canines everywhere. They all seem to bark a lot, and from my GF who is a canophobic, I get no sound advice, only that I really shouldn't be outside at all, or just run in the city centre.

I did about 5-6 km along a heavily trafficked main road today, but I am longing for the lush green hills I see everywhere.

What are people's strategies for dealing with loose dogs, "tame" and feral. I don't see too many sheep, so I don't think any of them are overprotective sheepdogs.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Lucidor on August 15, 2009, 05:24:50 AM

What are people's strategies for dealing with loose dogs, "tame" and feral. I don't see too many sheep, so I don't think any of them are overprotective sheepdogs.

Run faster.  :P

Really though, I have no idea.  I sorta swim and sorta bike, neither of which really make me vulnerable to any stray dogs.  Running hurts.  Heh.

Lucidor

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 15, 2009, 05:35:28 AM
Run faster.  :P

Really though, I have no idea.  I sorta swim and sorta bike, neither of which really make me vulnerable to any stray dogs.  Running hurts.  Heh.
:-p

What I'm wondering is if the dogs really just want to bark at you or if they are truly out to get you.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Lucidor on August 15, 2009, 05:24:50 AM
Doing some running to stay in shape. I am currently in a town in rural Transylvania. My problem is with those free running canines everywhere. They all seem to bark a lot, and from my GF who is a canophobic, I get no sound advice, only that I really shouldn't be outside at all, or just run in the city centre.

I did about 5-6 km along a heavily trafficked main road today, but I am longing for the lush green hills I see everywhere.

Sadly you have to interrupt your workout if you think it is going to bite you, stop, extend your arms and shout the dog back home. Believe it or not, it works most times. You can't outrun a good size dog if he really wants to get you, but most of the time you can scare him enough to make him stop. If it does not work, you have to kick him, just hope no neighbor sees you and tells on you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom